Stadium Wishlist

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mingjai
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Stadium Wishlist

Post by Mingjai »

CrimsonCoug wrote:Make the pitch slightly steeper (the Rose Bowl is incredibly flat and, with all due respect to the history of the place, the venue isn't that great for reg season fball games).

Instead of the poop brown brick, take a cue from the new building formerly known as the syphilis (SFLC). It almost looks like Herodian stone. Very similar design to the BYU Jerusalem Center. Arches in that stone resembling the Colosseum would be sweet.
The Rose Bowl is the most disappointing sports venue I've ever been to--fans are way far from the action and the sheer size makes it very quiet and unintimidating. I'm guessing Michigan Stadium is much the same...

As for the outer facade, as long as they don't take design cues from the old HBLL or the Talmage (TMCB) or even the Law School, I'm fine with it. BYU's campus has such helter skelter architecture, though they always keeps the grounds looking immaculate.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I really dig the masonry of the new Gordon B. Hinckley building.

crazycougar84601
BLUEshirt

Post by crazycougar84601 »

Thanks for the ideas!

I was definatly going to improve the facade. I always thought LES looks a little bare. I have an idea to keep the "tower" look by moving it to the south end of the bowl and encompassing the resturant, masonary facade, & arched enterances.

If anybody has any upclose pictures of the Gordan B Hinkley Building, Miller Park, or Marriott center I can match the brick exactly. I was looing at the Clemson Memorial stadium facade as a possiblity altho I really like the setup on the Minnesota stadium.

My other idea was to include the team played on the bowl game plaques, so my kid stops asking who BYU played in the 1974 Tangerine Bowl (before i was born, and it is Oklahoma State btw) and i have to thumb thru the program to find it lol, and actual "Jersey" type retirement of numbers. I like Mingji's signature and could include the jersey type of the retired number somehow.

I also love the scoreboard idea for stats. a couple of ideas pop to mind here. If i put a second tier above the west stands i could include a "ribbon" style scoreboard above or below the suites and pressboxes that continously shows stats, other scores, ads, etc. however that would be of little use to the folks on the west stands. The other idea is to enlarge the endzone scoreboards to include this information.

And how about a real "Y" for the pregame lighting the "Y" cermony like we used to have back in the day?

imma - Im glad I could help.

I will post some more pictures of my classwork on the real LES stadium in the upcoming days. I couldn't get very much rendering done due to a problem with the staduim lights i downloaded. I may have to erase those and see if I can get anything done with them gone.

Thanks for you interest in my dumb little idea lol any more ideas are appreciated.
Thanks!
Crazy

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I drove by Memorial Stadium in Austin today, and I remembered how much I like what they did with the lights to make them somewhat architectural instead of just being nakedly functional.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... regame.JPG

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/933531 ... 0B0D811297

http://collegeprowler.com/images/standa ... adium.jpeg

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

snoscythe wrote:I drove by Memorial Stadium in Austin today, and I remembered how much I like what they did with the lights to make them somewhat architectural instead of just being nakedly functional.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... regame.JPG

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/933531 ... 0B0D811297

http://collegeprowler.com/images/standa ... adium.jpeg
I really like the facade on DKR as well. I don't like a stadium that looks pretty. I like it to look strong, you know?

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

redneckjedi wrote:I really like the facade on DKR as well. I don't like a stadium that looks pretty. I like it to look strong, you know?
Is this strong enough?

This is the new stadium plan them :utard: have for when they join the PAC1

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

urroner wrote:
redneckjedi wrote:I really like the facade on DKR as well. I don't like a stadium that looks pretty. I like it to look strong, you know?
Is this strong enough?

This is the new stadium plan them :utard: have for when they join the PAC1
Strong looking, not strong smelling. There is a difference.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
sage
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by sage »

urroner wrote:
Is this strong enough?

This is the best post by anyone ever. Urroner, you outdid yourself. But don't let it go to your head. That looks ugly enough already. We don't need more of it.