Unga officially finished at BYU according to 1280 & Jay Drew

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Unga officially finished at BYU according to 1280 & Jay

Post by CougarClaw »

The punishment is not too harsh. Repentance has to be your number one goal, not qualifying to play football like you'd need to pass a D1 required class.

Thanks for some great memories, Unga.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

From a football standpoint, Harvey gained 5.2 yards per run last year. DiLuigi gained 5.5. I don't see a huge gap in talent there at all. http://www.byucougars.com/uploads/stats ... /stats.pdf

From a fan standpoint, Harvey was an easy bet for good yardage, but JJ/Quezada/Phillips will be more exciting to watch this year, because of the freshness of something new. And because of greater breakaway speed.

From a season standpoint, I saw us going 11-2 with Harvey, 9-4 without him. Unga was a Ute-killer, plain and simple. And as the Utah game goes for BYU under Bronco, so the bowl game goes.

From a personal standpoint, this may be a blessing for Harvey. He has more important things to worry about, like being a husband and a father. Good luck in the NFL! I'll be rooting for you.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

This may get ME villified on here, but was anyone else a little bit relieved when you heard for sure that he wasn't going to be able to return until January, just because it would have smacked a little too much of a double-standard?

Now, none of us have a CLUE what conditions were set by his Bishop to regain his endorsement, and even if we have an educated guess, none of us have any clue what the reasons behind the Dean's decision were (or whether the Dean even had a decision to make, considering there may not even have been an endorsement). I just didn't want the situation to appear to the critical observer, or the justifying nobody-student, that "a football star" gets a free pass, so why shouldn't everybody. Yes, I personally realize that if Harvey Unga had been approved for fall semester, it would have been in accordance with the rules of the University, and whatever process was set forth to regain an ecclesiastical endorsement. It would just not have LOOKED that way to many people. And no, I don't think that's the reason Harvey wasn't readmitted for fall, but from the perspective of the University as a whole, I'm glad even the appearance of evil was, in the end, avoided.

I would LOVE to have had Harvey in the backfield this year, and I support him wholeheartedly in his future endeavors. I also hope he finds it in his heart to finish his classes to get a degree. I think that would do a lot of good for peoples' perspective of the situation.

I also believe firmly in the Honor Code. I fully concede that its implementation is betimes a little too iron-fisted for the velvet glove that covers it, but that's little fault of the actual Code. Those whose responsibility it is to determine temporal consequence for infraction of it walk a razors edge. I wouldn't want the job. It is my suspicion, however, that in the end, in the vast majority of cases, those consequences are MUCH milder than the actual infraction deserves.

The Honor Code is the one thing that separates Brigham Young University from all other universities. Most schools have some form of code of conduct. Ours is "peculiar" in that it places upon each person the committment and responsibility of living as God intends him to, as part of the experience. It truly is, in some small way, a form of consecration. Our secular education does not stand between us and our God. I'm proud of that.

Cougy_Monster
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougy_Monster »

GolfDiveNCougs wrote:This may get ME villified on here, but was anyone else a little bit relieved when you heard for sure that he wasn't going to be able to return until January, just because it would have smacked a little too much of a double-standard?

Now, none of us have a CLUE what conditions were set by his Bishop to regain his endorsement, and even if we have an educated guess, none of us have any clue what the reasons behind the Dean's decision were (or whether the Dean even had a decision to make, considering there may not even have been an endorsement). I just didn't want the situation to appear to the critical observer, or the justifying nobody-student, that "a football star" gets a free pass, so why shouldn't everybody. Yes, I personally realize that if Harvey Unga had been approved for fall semester, it would have been in accordance with the rules of the University, and whatever process was set forth to regain an ecclesiastical endorsement. It would just not have LOOKED that way to many people. And no, I don't think that's the reason Harvey wasn't readmitted for fall, but from the perspective of the University as a whole, I'm glad even the appearance of evil was, in the end, avoided.

I would LOVE to have had Harvey in the backfield this year, and I support him wholeheartedly in his future endeavors. I also hope he finds it in his heart to finish his classes to get a degree. I think that would do a lot of good for peoples' perspective of the situation.

I also believe firmly in the Honor Code. I fully concede that its implementation is betimes a little too iron-fisted for the velvet glove that covers it, but that's little fault of the actual Code. Those whose responsibility it is to determine temporal consequence for infraction of it walk a razors edge. I wouldn't want the job. It is my suspicion, however, that in the end, in the vast majority of cases, those consequences are MUCH milder than the actual infraction deserves.

The Honor Code is the one thing that separates Brigham Young University from all other universities. Most schools have some form of code of conduct. Ours is "peculiar" in that it places upon each person the committment and responsibility of living as God intends him to, as part of the experience. It truly is, in some small way, a form of consecration. Our secular education does not stand between us and our God. I'm proud of that.
Hear Hear!

Me gusta

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

GolfDiveNCougs wrote:This may get ME villified on here, but was anyone else a little bit relieved when you heard for sure that he wasn't going to be able to return until January, just because it would have smacked a little too much of a double-standard?
If it meant Harvey was on the field, I would have been more than happy to hear Ute fans crow about BYU being hipocrits and having a double standard. They are going to find something to complain about to take their minds off the fact that we will once again beat them. Now they will just have to hold on to Max's hatred of Utah somehow violating the honor code.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Wickchad84087 wrote:To clarify my position before this turns into a gospel discussion.

I'm a non-LDS fan of BYU. Obviously my views are going to be A LOT more liberal than most. I'm not a fan of the honor code. While I agree with the majority of the standards of the LDS church and agree that those standards improve your quality of life, the honor code goes well beyond what is necessary (and maybe what should be expected of 18-22 year olds). Should people be kicked out of school for gang rape, DUI, violent assaults, burglary, the majority of crimes, cheating, yes. Any school shouldn't put up with those things.

While I don't like the honor code, it does exist and Harvey signed it. So I absolutely agree that the only person to blame is Harvey. Do I think his crime fits the punishment, no. Do I think that every player that has pre-marital sex should be kicked out of school, no.

As a former high school athlete (i.e. Uncle Rico) I can tell you that I would have given anything to play D-1 football. It drives me nuts that individuals who are gifted enough to have the opportunity to play football potentially for a living would do anything to jeopardize that. Honor code aside, if you drink or do drugs you are not enhancing your ability to play. If you are told in order to play you must abide by a certain set of rules, you abide by those rules. If you carry a gun in a night club, have dog fights, or just enjoy thug life, you are probably not going to be playing long... An elite athlete shouldn't need an honor code to realize that. Does pre-marital sex that doesn't result in an STD affect your ability to play, probably not.

Just add Harvey to the list of running backs at BYU that I would have loved to have seen what they could have done if they were able to use all of their years of eligibility...
I agree with your thoughts & sentiments. I am LDS - I think the Honor Code is good & I support it. That said - it's application is many times - many times - heavy handed & excessive. I know, I was a student @ BYU & experienced some harsh & felt - still feel - unnecessarily harsh treatment.

None of us know the details of what is going on w/ Harvey. I for one believe firmly that repentance is an individual matter (between you & your Preiesthood leader). The fixed time frames set for matters like this should be guidelines & not set in concrete. All individuals should be evaluated & dealt w/ on an individual basis. Case by case. We are not privy to Harvey's situation & the details. I really hope he does not become bitter though it all. I would like to have seen Harvey play this Fall. I think the punishment here is pretty harsh. As stated before, I wish him all the success & good luck that life can bring.
8)

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BigCougsFan wrote:Who knows... Maybe Ugna looked upon a woman and had some dirty thoughts rumaging through his head. According to Christ... If you think it, it's like doing it. Just thinking it is a sin.

Not to start a fight or arguement, but is that in violation of the H.C.???

Dang... I sin all the time at the gym. Man am I screwed! I would be the worst BYU student ever!
No. The Honor Code is a code of conduct.

redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

One point I don't think has been mentioned in discussing the drop off from Harvey is the fact that Harvey came in and contributed his best year yardage-wise as a freshman - in a year where we were expecting Fui and Manase to pick up where Curtis Brown left off. Harvey came out of NOWHERE to everyone that wasn't following the offseason reports. Arizona had NO CLUE who #45 was until kickoff - but they definitely knew by the end of the day.

From the sound of things, Quezada is setting himself up nicely for a similar debut. And if it doesn't work out that way, I have plenty of confidence in Kariya. I re-watched the OU game earlier this week, and was reminded of how impressive he was to everyone, from me to the LBs he bowled over to the ESPN announcers. There may be some growing pains. Or there may not be - I don't remember any when Harvey took over.

Either way, I can't wait till fall. :evil:

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

redneckjedi wrote:Arizona had NO CLUE who #45 was until kickoff - but they definitely knew by the end of the day.
Yeah, all 67 yards of impressiveness...

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

snoscythe wrote:
redneckjedi wrote:Arizona had NO CLUE who #45 was until kickoff - but they definitely knew by the end of the day.
Yeah, all 67 yards of impressiveness...
The one play from that game that sticks out in my mind is the run where the defenders think that Harvey is down, but he plants his hand on the ground and spins and takes off up the sideline for another 25 yards. That was the first indication of things to come.