Unga officially finished at BYU according to 1280 & Jay Drew

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Unga officially finished at BYU according to 1280 & Jay

Post by jonnylingo »

snoscythe wrote:I have to say, knowing as little as I do, I agree with the decision. They have removed football as a factor in Harvey's repentance process.

This is a young man who has been down the road before. If the violation is what most suspect, this will be Harvey's second rodeo with this problem. That is why I have suspected from day one that he would not return...the second time around is a bit sterner.

Now, when Harvey goes to talk to his bishop, he isn't trying to rush the process simply to get back into school and back onto the field.

Keep in mind that BYU has left the door open for him to come back in the Winter and finish his degree then, and with as few credits as he needs, one semester will do the trick as far as education goes.

I agree with the punishment because (a) he broke a promise he made, and (b) it is putting his eternal future ahead of the next few years.

I know the naysayers will come on here and lambast the Honor Code as being too strict or asking more than the commandments, but that is something Harvey and each person agreeing to the Honor Code should have taken into consideration before they told their ecclesiastical representative that the would keep the Honor Code rather than lamely offering it as an excuse after the fact. If it's too much or too strict, wear red.

The fact that someone might miss out on career opportunities because of a punishment they agreed to be subject to shouldn't be part of the calculus in imposing punishment--it should be part of the decision making calculus of the individual before they break their agreement. Harvey knew the risks, but he made bad decisions nonetheless. He shouldn't be able to hide behind the potential he has put in jeopardy to avoid the consequences he knew would follow.
I was waiting for this arugment. I think you miss the point. Your statements have to do with his salvation and well being. that should be church related and related to how the church deal with it in terms of his membership. whether his disfellowed, excommunicted, put on informal probation, etc. His salvation is more of an issue with his church membership.

Nobody disputes that these guys knew what they were agreeing to when they signed up. nobody disputes that he should be punished. At least for me, what I am saying is that the punishment in terms of byu, the school and his enrollment and ability to play football should not be taken away the way it was in terms of what he did. while i don't disagree with punishment and disagree with the DEGREE in which is was imposed. I just think its too harsh. that is just my opinion.

While I am disappointed, I understand why the school made the decision it did, especially if he didn't want to get married to her. From a pr standpoint at the very least it won't look good if they let him in while his girlfriend that he refuses to marry is walking around carrying his baby. it just doesn't mesh with byu and the honor code we have. i get it. I think once I heard that it made more sense to me why byu did what they did.

its a shame.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:I feel bad for Harvey, but like others have said, he made his bed, and now he has to sleep in it....
....preferably alone.

Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Wickchad »

To clarify my position before this turns into a gospel discussion.

I'm a non-LDS fan of BYU. Obviously my views are going to be A LOT more liberal than most. I'm not a fan of the honor code. While I agree with the majority of the standards of the LDS church and agree that those standards improve your quality of life, the honor code goes well beyond what is necessary (and maybe what should be expected of 18-22 year olds). Should people be kicked out of school for gang rape, DUI, violent assaults, burglary, the majority of crimes, cheating, yes. Any school shouldn't put up with those things.

While I don't like the honor code, it does exist and Harvey signed it. So I absolutely agree that the only person to blame is Harvey. Do I think his crime fits the punishment, no. Do I think that every player that has pre-marital sex should be kicked out of school, no.

As a former high school athlete (i.e. Uncle Rico) I can tell you that I would have given anything to play D-1 football. It drives me nuts that individuals who are gifted enough to have the opportunity to play football potentially for a living would do anything to jeopardize that. Honor code aside, if you drink or do drugs you are not enhancing your ability to play. If you are told in order to play you must abide by a certain set of rules, you abide by those rules. If you carry a gun in a night club, have dog fights, or just enjoy thug life, you are probably not going to be playing long... An elite athlete shouldn't need an honor code to realize that. Does pre-marital sex that doesn't result in an STD affect your ability to play, probably not.

Just add Harvey to the list of running backs at BYU that I would have loved to have seen what they could have done if they were able to use all of their years of eligibility...

Cougy_Monster
Sophomore

Post by Cougy_Monster »

PurpleReign wrote:Is his loss a big one for your season, or is there a comparable back behind him that can get the same production?
This is a big loss for the team and he will be sorely missed....until part way through the 2nd quarter of the 1st game when it becomes apparent that we have a ton of talent to replace him.

The Cougs will barely skip a beat in transitioning to this next season.

Cougy_Monster
Sophomore

Post by Cougy_Monster »

Wickchad84087 wrote: If you carry a gun in a night club, have dog fights, or just enjoy thug life, you are probably not going to be playing long... An elite athlete shouldn't need an honor code to realize that. Does pre-marital sex that doesn't result in an STD affect your ability to play, probably not.

You bring up good points and your views are probably consistent with most sports fans with good moral values. One point about LDS doctrine that helps explain why Harvey's "punishment" is so severe is that according to LDS beliefs breaking the law of chastity (extramarital sex) is second in severity only to murder (Alma 39:5). I know that sounds harsh, especially by today's sexual standards. But that's the doctrine of the Church that runs BYU.

You can't inappropriately end or create a life ( or do things similar to it) without mocking God's greatest gift to mankind.

Somehow the seriousness of sins or mistakes has gone all topsy turvy in the recent past and unfortunately even many LDS members view a DUI as much more serious than premarital sex. Those who make decisions about the Honor Code haven't flipped topsy turvy though.

Thanks for your thoughts - and keep cheering for the Cougs!

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

The normal punishment for pre-marital sex at BYU when students are asked to leave is usually missing 2 sections of classes. So, if he had not withdrawn on his own and had been dealt with by the HC office, the punishment would have been the same as what it is.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

jonnylingo wrote:I can tell you that this hurts a lot. I am ticked. BYU is lame. Seriously, ruin his career over this. Is there no compassion? And spare me all the crap that I know I will get in response. They can punish him without ruining his career just fine. let him repent with his bishop, but to keep him from re enrolling in school after what he has done to this point for the football team is stupid. That is just my opinion.

I am not happy about this. It makes me annoyed to be a BYU fan. I know I know BYU is about more than football....blah blah. I got it. I understand why they did it. I just don't agree with it and think its overly extreme.
Hey J.L. - I'm with ya. I understand why - I was just hoping. I feel this whole thing can be cleared up much faster that Jan. 2011. It's all about what's in a person's heart.
:skeptic:

HoosierCougar
Junior

Post by HoosierCougar »

I couldn't agree more with sno's post... and count me squarely in the camp of "the Honor Code didn't do this to Harvey".

Saying the HC did this to Harvey is like saying that a pitcher who can't find the strike zone with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth and walks a guy has a gripe with the rules of baseball and the umpire for screwing up his perfect game.

Those of us who are LDS know the rules, and yet we sin. When we violate those rules there are consequences. In Harvey's case (as with all LDS BYU students), there is a requirement to be in good standing with the church for continued enrollment. There is some discretion there for Bishops, Stake Presidents and the HC office. However, less flexibility after the first offense...

I'm sad that Harvey won't line up for us in the fall. But I am infinitely more sad that he has to live this out in such a public forum.

BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

Who knows... Maybe Ugna looked upon a woman and had some dirty thoughts rumaging through his head. According to Christ... If you think it, it's like doing it. Just thinking it is a sin.

Not to start a fight or arguement, but is that in violation of the H.C.???

Dang... I sin all the time at the gym. Man am I screwed! I would be the worst BYU student ever!

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

jonnylingo wrote:For the record, I do think the honor code should apply to football players. we are byu, we are different, i am okay with that. What bugs me though is how hard they are coming down on him. they are ruining his career. while he made a moral mistake that also happens to violate the honor code, i don't think they should punish him by saying you can't play football, especially after what he has done for the university football wise.

what i suspect here is that they wouldn't do it because he refused to marry her. I can understand that, but it still bugs me. the church should take what actions that it feels are necessary to help him with his salvation and he should have a punishemtn for violating the honor code but not the punishment he is receiving.

long story short. honor code violation punishments should be less severe than they are. that is just my opinion though.
You say THEY are ruining his career and you appear to know what to do to help him with HIS salvation...WOW...You must be reading a different story than I and you must know a whole lot more than what I have read. What I can tell, HE is the one who took the actions to jeopardize his career not BYU and as for what is best for his salvation way to render an opinion clouded bu your selfish desire to have the best running back on the team be there this fall....I wish the best for Bro. Unga and hope he gets himself straight with the Lord. I will not pretend to know what is best or make escuses though for what he did

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image