Utah to the BCS = End of the Rivalry?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Utah to the BCS = End of the Rivalry?

Post by SpiffCoug »

I haven't fully thought this out, but I think there's a chance that Utah could leave the MWC and BYU stays behind. I also think there is a chance it could be the end of the Holy War. And here's why:

If Utah is now in a BCS conference, they now have a chance of not only going to a BCS bowl every year but also of going to the national championship game. The LAST thing they need is an out-of-conference loss to a non-BCS team, i.e. BYU.

I could see them wanting to keep the rivalry going for a while, but rivalries can die, especially if millions of dollars are potentially at stake.

Thoughts?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Re: Utah to the BCS = End of the Rivalry?

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

Is it bad that I actually wouldn't mind if it did? Yes it would suck if they were in a BCS league and we weren't, but really, that would mean that a loss to us would hurt them a lot less than a loss to them would hurt us. I still think we'd remain competitive, but I think we'd have a much harder time because they would do much better with recruits. And they ALWAYS get up more for us than ANYBODY else, and I really don't think that changes, even if little brother DOES grow up enough to play in a bigger league. The hurt and pain of 19 of 21 doesn't just go away. THAT emotional constipation is EXACTLY what has made almost every game in the last 17 years blisteringly tight, and I truly believe BYU had a better team for all but TWO of them, maybe 3 ('95). That we only won 7 of those 17 is a testament to the vitriol they feel toward BYU, and our inexplicable tightness because of it.

LET them sink to mediocrity in the PAC, but you know, if we have a BCS shot and Utah's only consolation prize is trying to beat a real team at the end of every season, I'd just as soon not deal their vitriol.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

If the Yewts go to the PAC-10, or anywhere else - I don't care. They will be the whipping boy of the conference. They will get a real wake up call. The Coug vs. Yewt rivalry is a great rivalry - hard fought - bitter - historical - tradition a mile long. But, if they want to jump - good bye & so long. I won't shed a tear or miss them one bit!!!
:crazy:

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BYU in a 9-team MWC would have a better chance getting a BCS bowl bid than Utah in the PAC-12, IMO. We just have to finish higher than one of six BCS conference champs. They actually would have to beat USC, Oregon, etc, and they're not on that level very often.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

It would be too bad to see the BYU-Utah rivalry go away under any circumstances--Utah in Pac 12, BYU in Big XII, someone still in the MWC, etc. While I'd hope the two ADs could pull something together, there is some precedent for rivalries like this coming to an end. BYU-Utah State is one example. Another would be Penn State-Pitt, who have played 96 times, but only 4 times since 1993, when Penn State joined the Big Ten. Strangely enough, in a move that should be familiar to Cougar and Aggie fans, Penn State apparently started demanding 2-for-1s at State College, but unlike the other team up north, Pitt refused, so the rivalry has been in an indefinite suspension.

northerncougar
Junior

Post by northerncougar »

I would love to see the rivalry come to an end. Living in Utah now for 20 years, I am disgusted with how nasty it has gotten and how sick to my stomach I get for weeks as I watch all idiots come out of the woodwork. It was tolerable for a while, but when I started getting the hate at church it was over the top for me.

I would love to see Utah in the Pac-12 and be middle of the conference. Not having to play them would raise my enjoyment of the season significantly.

One thing I don't understand is the talk about Utah going to a BCS conference will improve their recruiting significantly. Are there really that many great recruits that turn down the Utes only because they aren't in a BCS conference? I just don't see it. There might be a player or two each year but that is about it. It isn't like 20 of the top 30 players each year are saying, "I would absolutely play for Utah, if only they were in a BCS conference." Doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

No way would it end the rivalry. It just means that this game would be in September instead of around Thanksgiving each year. Same thing would happen if BYU got into the Big 12. This game will happen because it is too big in this state to not occur. Probably would mean that only 1 hoops game and other sports happened each year as well.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

I love the rivalry and would be sad to see it lose its muster no matter what happens. the intensity is what makes it so much fun. i have literal physical and emotional reaction of pure hatred whenever i see someone wearing u of u garbage. That is what makes the win so much sweeter.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Mars wrote:
BYU in a 9-team MWC would have a better chance getting a BCS bowl bid than Utah in the PAC-12, IMO. We just have to finish higher than one of six BCS conference champs. They actually would have to beat USC, Oregon, etc, and they're not on that level very often.
Bam!! Got that right. Once in a blue moon - when the stars align - the Yewts round up enough talent to compete @ the top of the PAC 10. It won't happen consistently - though they can talk to themselves & believe they can. Ha-ha-ha-ha!!! Good luck Yewts!!
:crazy:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Lawboy wrote:No way would it end the rivalry. It just means that this game would be in September instead of around Thanksgiving each year. Same thing would happen if BYU got into the Big 12. This game will happen because it is too big in this state to not occur. Probably would mean that only 1 hoops game and other sports happened each year as well.
I'd love to see the game switched as it is now. I wish we could play the Utes in September or early October before they figure out what kind of team they are, instead of waiting for the last game when they've finally identified their strengths.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!