The Real Quarterback U

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Y12
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The Real Quarterback U

Post by Y12 »

It's not BYU, not Miami, but ...

http://isportsweb.com/2010/05/06/the-re ... terback-u/

When you isolate it and base it on one specific criteria like this, it is hard to argue the conclusion.

If Purple Reign is still handing around, you ought to like this.

gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: The Real Quarterback U

Post by gmj81 »

The key to this discussion IMO is "U"... not where they got drafted, not what they did in the NFL but what they did in college. And no school has been the record-breaking QB factory that BYU has. Period. It's that simple.

But if you must bring the NFL into it, I don't care where you get drafted. Anybody can be drafted high and we've seen how inexact a science the NFL draft is over and over. But find me another school who has two former QBs with superbowl rings. There might be others but not many.

A lot of people use the "system" argument against BYU. I really hate that stupid argument. As if there are no "systems" in the NFL. And how many of former Cougar "system" players and coaches have gone on to sustained success coaching in the NFL and other universities? Of the top of my head... Holmgren, Reid, Belichek, Billick, Crowton, Chow, Sarkesian... the list goes on and one.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

It is hard to argue with this guys logic at all. We refer to BYU as Tight end U because of all the tight ends that we have put in the NFL over the last 10-15 years, well he just outlined that every QB that has played at UW for the last 35 years has been drafted and stuck in the NFL for a few years. I think that is pretty impressive. BYU has had some good ones but there are other schools that put more guys in the NFL from that position. In fact we have only put 2 guys in the NFL over the last 20 years. Detmer and Beck.

gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by gmj81 »

Wrong, there have been others (Walsh, Doman) they just didn't have very successful careers. But for that matter, neither did Detmer or Beck.

But again, IMO, it's about the "U". Regardless of BYU's success putting TEs into the NFL, they should be called Tight End U because of our success in utilizing the TE in the college game and producing many All-Americans at the position.

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

gmj81 wrote:Wrong, there have been others (Walsh, Doman) they just didn't have very successful careers. But for that matter, neither did Detmer or Beck.

But again, IMO, it's about the "U". Regardless of BYU's success putting TEs into the NFL, they should be called Tight End U because of our success in utilizing the TE in the college game and producing many All-Americans at the position.
Enngeman made a practice squad for couple years...

YBrit
All-American

Post by YBrit »

In 2008 they contested their 1984 national championship that BYU OWNS.

in 2010 they contest their the QB U.

Well, we were 1 Harvey away from scoring another TD against them in 08, statistically owned them.

In 2010 we'll be beating them UCLA style up and down the field. This is the real reason they cancelled the rest of the games, they ran out of things to attempt to steal from BYU.

Washington: The "real" classless U (another tradition the UoU stole) with more purple.

twitter.com/Y4LYFE
Marsha's hiding in Lubbock, TX.

"We were boxed in and they weren't letting us breathe." -TH
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

The only quality NFL QBs I saw on that list were Moon, Chandler and Brunell. Miami produced Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, and Vinny Testaverde. BYU had Jim McMahon and Steve Young. All three schools had some other decent QBs who stuck in the league for a while. But only the BYU guys had Super Bowl wins as the starter. I give the nod to BYU. Championships gotta count for something.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

Next they're going to proclaim that they're the Lords University also. I don't know, I'm guessing they just want to get under our skin before the next game.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

Sammich wrote:Next they're going to proclaim that they're the Lords University also. I don't know, I'm guessing they just want to get under our skin before the next game.
Well...Purple IS the color of royalty...

Y12
Senior

Post by Y12 »

gmj81 wrote:The key to this discussion IMO is "U"... not where they got drafted, not what they did in the NFL but what they did in college. And no school has been the record-breaking QB factory that BYU has. Period. It's that simple.

But if you must bring the NFL into it, I don't care where you get drafted. Anybody can be drafted high and we've seen how inexact a science the NFL draft is over and over. But find me another school who has two former QBs with superbowl rings. There might be others but not many.

A lot of people use the "system" argument against BYU. I really hate that stupid argument. As if there are no "systems" in the NFL. And how many of former Cougar "system" players and coaches have gone on to sustained success coaching in the NFL and other universities? Of the top of my head... Holmgren, Reid, Belichek, Billick, Crowton, Chow, Sarkesian... the list goes on and one.
Yeah, this column is not a finished prodcut, the guy found something to start with, but it is still a rough draft. It is one thing to get to the NFL, it is another thing to do something once you get there. It's like saying Harvard (or any other school) is the best university based on its job placement rate. That is nice that you can get a job, but once you get there you better have some substance to you, otherwise you are in trouble. Same thing can be said about the "system" label you bring up, and I think BYU has proven that the "system" used in Provo has some substance and merit.