laughable pre-pre-season "Non-AQ" rankings

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: laughable pre-pre-season "Non-AQ" rankings

Post by Cougarbib »

BYU is replacing the winningest QB in school history, two NFL caliber tight ends including arguably the best one in school history, an NFL caliber fullback, probably the best running back in school history, and the center aka the most important position on the O/L. The rest of the O/L will be solid, barring more injuries, and the wideouts will be very good to outstanding.

On defense - well other than defensive backs, it is a rebuilding year.

Perhaps all of this gave Ms Watson a little pause for 2010 along with the number of key games to be played on the road or against solid OOC opponents.

I usually am not too impressed with Ms Watson and haven't even bothered to read the linked article, but don't be too shocked that not everyone is on board with the Cougars. If BYU does start out 2-0 folks will start getting on board pretty quick. If they start out 0-3, we will all look forward to the easier games on the schedule and the maturing of a lot of new players.

How quickly we forget that our stars held the ball too long and fumbled (Hall), fumbled too much (DeLuigi), had missionary legs (Jacobsen), etc. as inexperienced or recently returned players before going on to greatness as experienced Juniors or Seniors. Talent aside, until the kidsw prove themselves on the field, some will be skeptical.

I trust that Bronco will get more out of his players than many experts will expect, but I also expect to see BYU lay a few eggs on the ground in the early going - especially without Unga should it end up that way. On the other hand, DeLuigi is not a rookie anymore and we saw a lot less fumbling last year.

I will support this team no matter the outcome and hope they surprise.

Go Cougs

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Cougarbib2 wrote: How quickly we forget that our stars held the ball too long and fumbled (Hall), fumbled too much (DeLuigi), had missionary legs (Jacobsen), etc. as inexperienced or recently returned players before going on to greatness as experienced Juniors or Seniors. Talent aside, until the kidsw prove themselves on the field, some will be skeptical.
1- Yeah, and what was BYU's record in those dark years when Max Hall fumbled too much? Our record could easily be about the same this year.

2- His name is DiLuigi. Come on man.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Mars - our record was pretty good, especially when we were not playing nationally ranked teams like TCU and Utah on the road and Florida State on the Road and replacing everyone around the QB. Recall also, that Max Hall was not as true freshman, had hung around a year sittin out the transfer, and was very highly touted. Usually it seemed that we rebuilt the D one year or the O the next year butnot both the same year on top of a brutal schedule.

So MARS I will wger you a chocolate bar right here and now that this team will not score the 11-2 record Max Hall scored in his first year. I will go right out on a limb and call you on that right now. Wanna take me up? What is your prediction. I am not sayin it is impossible, just improbable. But they are still undefeated rightnow and 13-0 is also possible - but highly improbable. But 1984 was improbabl etoo and it happened.

So who knows what we have cookin for 2010. I can't wai tto see - but I am callin you out.

BYU will go between 6-7 and 10-3 at the absolute best. I am expecting 8-5 to 9-4 optimistically.

Go Cougs

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Cougarbib2 wrote: Mars - our record was pretty good, especially when we were not playing nationally ranked teams like TCU and Utah on the road and Florida State on the Road and replacing everyone around the QB. Recall also, that Max Hall was not as true freshman, had hung around a year sittin out the transfer, and was very highly touted. Usually it seemed that we rebuilt the D one year or the O the next year butnot both the same year on top of a brutal schedule. So MARS I will wger you a chocolate bar right here and now that this team will not score the 11-2 record Max Hall scored in his first year. I will go right out on a limb and call you on that right now. Wanna take me up? What is your prediction. I am not sayin it is impossible, just improbable. But they are still undefeated rightnow and 13-0 is also possible - but highly improbable. But 1984 was improbabl etoo and it happened. So who knows what we have cookin for 2010. I can't wai tto see - but I am callin you out. BYU will go between 6-7 and 10-3 at the absolute best. I am expecting 8-5 to 9-4 optimistically.
But we DID play TCU and Utah in 2007, and we beat them both. And we lost both of our OOC road games, at UCLA and at Tulsa, so we can't really do worse than that this year (one tough roadie at FSU). And we beat Arizona in our opener in Provo by 13 with a brand new starter at QB, just as we should beat Washington.

Not to mention the fact that we DON'T lose "everyone around the QB" this year. We return 4 of 5 starting O-Linemen. We return our entire WR core, plus add Apo and Phillips. We return our #2, #3, and #4 RBs, JJ, Kariya, and Te'o, IF Harvey isn't back, plus we add Quezada. In this offense, that's a lot. And believe it or not, but Jake Heaps is also "highly touted".

I wouldn't call our D "rebuilt" this year either, with all of the talent we return at DB, along with Pendleton, Atkinson, Ogletree, and half the our two-deep at D-Line. Not to mention the insane amount of talent we are bringing in on that side of the ball this season.

Right now, my prediction for 2010 is... 11-2. With losses @FSU and @TCU. Things might not go quite that well, with tough games against Washington, Utah, and even Air Force and Nevada, but they certainly could.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
cougarsunited
Freshman

Post by cougarsunited »

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb,dumb,
Oficially the most meaningless (not to mention accuracy...) pre-season ranking EVER!

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Cougarbib2 wrote: and the center aka the most important position on the O/L.
Gotta disagree with your there - Left Tackle (or Right Tackle if your QB is a lefty) is the most important position on the O/L, and ARGUABLY the second most important position on the offense, maybe the team (look at NFL drafts and payrolls for confirmation).

I will support this team no matter the outcome and hope they surprise.
You'd better...or you'll be banished to :utard: land!

QuarterbackU
BLUEshirt

Post by QuarterbackU »

I think I pointed this out in another thread but remember, the reason Hall was so successful his first year going 11-2 is because from the year before we knew he would be THE STARTER. He took 90% of the reps. With this damn "QB Battle" we are going to end up with a starter out there is who is not half as prepared as Hall in his first game against AZ. That is why you don't let the QB battle drag out into fall camp.

Cougs will lose 4 games this year and it upsets me. :angry:

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

QuarterbackU wrote:I think I pointed this out in another thread but remember, the reason Hall was so successful his first year going 11-2 is because from the year before we knew he would be THE STARTER. He took 90% of the reps. With this damn "QB Battle" we are going to end up with a starter out there is who is not half as prepared as Hall in his first game against AZ. That is why you don't let the QB battle drag out into fall camp.

Cougs will lose 4 games this year and it upsets me. :angry:
We didn't know Hall was the starter until after Spring Camp when Cooper pulled up lame. No one has missed any snaps in comparison to Hall yet.

Going 11-2 with Hall in 2007 was a different animal as well. We don't have any FCS teams on the schedule this year, we aren't opening against a team that is trying to completely reinvent their offense from the past season, and the 2010 TCU, Washington, and FSU teams are all more formidable opponents than anyone on the schedule Hall went 11-2 against.

If we lose four games with a newbie QB this season, I'd say that about meets my expectations. 3 losses or fewer will have me ecstatic.

Cougy_Monster
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougy_Monster »

Cougarbib2 wrote: .

So MARS I will wger you a chocolate bar right here and now that this team will not score the 11-2 record Max Hall scored in his first year. I will go right out on a limb and call you on that right now. Wanna take me up? What is your prediction. I am not sayin it is impossible, just improbable. But they are still undefeated rightnow and 13-0 is also possible - but highly improbable. But 1984 was improbabl etoo and it happened.

So who knows what we have cookin for 2010. I can't wai tto see - but I am callin you out.

BYU will go between 6-7 and 10-3 at the absolute best. I am expecting 8-5 to 9-4 optimistically.

Go Cougs
I'll take you up on a little wager with the "loser" paying into the PEF or other official charitable entity. If you expect 6-7 to 10-3 lets settle in the middle at 8-5. We can take an 8:5 ratio for money per game and I pay $24 per loss and you pay $15 per win so at 8-5 our payments cancel and we each owe $0. (If $$ is tight we could lower the stakes to $8 and $5).

So, 8-5 record we break even: 8 x $15 = 120 and 5 x $24 = 120. 120-120 = 0.

7-6 record: I owe $144 (6 losses x $24) and you owe $105 (7 wins x $15). 144-105 = $39 so I give that much to PEF and you enjoy the thought that some student somewhere just got a $39 loan from the Church.

9-4 I owe $96 and you owe $135. 135-96 = $39 so you give that much to whatever.

10-3 record: your net loss (ie donation) is $78

5-8 record: my net loss is $117

Overall the numbers favor the person betting on more losses but the optimist gets the pleasure of knowing their money is riding the hopes of lots of wins.

If the Cougs go undefeated the PEF (or whatever you choose) gets a great boost from you: 13 x $15 = $195

If the Cougs lose every game I write a check for: 13 x $24 = $312

If you wanted to start at 9-4 I'd do that too (even taking on a 9:4 ratio and risking bigger payouts per loss). Hey, either the Cougs win and I'm happy or they lose and the PEF is happy. It's a win-win.

BYU DUDE
Gray Shirt

Post by BYU DUDE »

Graham Watson also predicted Utah would beat BYU, and OSU would beat BYU she is a BYU hater along with Monson and Graham of 1280 the zone, that is why they like her so much.