Tim Tebow the next Steve Young?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Y12
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Tim Tebow the next Steve Young?

Post by Y12 »

Sticking to the Steve Young comparison, why compare coaches and teammates now? As noted, Steve was with 2 other teams before succeeding with the 49ers. If we are comparing Tebow to Young, then give Tebow the leeway of failing for a few years and with a few teams before becoming Drew Brees' back up in New Orleans with Sean Payton as his coach (this is just an example, I am not implying that Brees = Montana, and Payton = Walsh, but they are two of the best in the game at what they do.)

We should be asking, where will Tebow be when he becomes a future HOF like Young?

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Maybe... if they can send Tebow to the USFL to earn his stripes... (he's no Steve Young and never will be)

KYCoug
Sophomore

Post by KYCoug »

ABYUFAN wrote:So will we be seeing Tebo doing this anytime soon?

[youtube]Ni6cCwb6Nlk[/youtube]
I love this run, especially when the 8 yard line jumps up and almost trips him up!!

BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

i hope tebow has a good career. I dont see how anyone could cheer against this guy.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

Y12 wrote:Sticking to the Steve Young comparison, why compare coaches and teammates now? As noted, Steve was with 2 other teams before succeeding with the 49ers. If we are comparing Tebow to Young, then give Tebow the leeway of failing for a few years and with a few teams before becoming Drew Brees' back up in New Orleans with Sean Payton as his coach (this is just an example, I am not implying that Brees = Montana, and Payton = Walsh, but they are two of the best in the game at what they do.)

We should be asking, where will Tebow be when he becomes a future HOF like Young?
Hmm...sounds more like another BYU quarterback currently playing for the Ravens....

PurpleReign
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by PurpleReign »

I think Jake Locker has a better chance of being Steve Young like than Tebow. Locker is a faster, better runner and has a stronger arm than Tebow. Locker is also a better thrower and more accurate.

Stick Locker on the Gators and he would have won Heismans and NC's.

"All I saw was purple. No jerseys, no numbers, just purple." - Todd Marinovich, USC QB, about the University of Washington defense following a 31-0 loss on September 22nd, 1990.
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

PurpleReign wrote:I think Jake Locker has a better chance of being Steve Young like than Tebow. Locker is a faster, better runner and has a stronger arm than Tebow. Locker is also a better thrower and more accurate.

Agreed. I think Locker has got a much better NFL tool-kit than Tebow. If locker played for a championship caliber team, he would be as much a household name as Tebow, if not more so.

tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

snoscythe wrote:If locker played for a championship caliber team, he would be as much a household name as Tebow, if not more so.
That's some good food for though. You could extend it out to other college QB's too. What if Dan Lefevour or Max Hall had the talent around them that Tebow did. Just something to think about.

BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

PurpleReign wrote:I think Jake Locker has a better chance of being Steve Young like than Tebow. Locker is a faster, better runner and has a stronger arm than Tebow. Locker is also a better thrower and more accurate.

Agreed. Locker is tough, big, and has a killer arm. Tebow has enough Rudy in him to make me like him as a person/player, I genuinely hope he has a great career, but if I were a GM that had to choose between the two, I'd take Locker every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Loyal Strong True
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Locker has a cannon, the problem is that he's been about as accurate as Ryan Leaf circa rookie year nfl... I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't end up a huge bust in the league... regardless he's going to get paid and at least he's got a better attitude than Leaf.

Locker and Tebow are only comparable in the fact that they both are ultracompetitive athletic guys playing the qb position, but when it comes to qb skills, Locker blows Tebow away with arm strength, footwork, etc.
I wouldn't make either the face and foundation of an NFL franchise;that's how GMs get fired.