Tim Tebow the next Steve Young?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BigCougsFan
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Tim Tebow the next Steve Young?

Post by BigCougsFan »

Since the draft last week... It's been slow in the college football world.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14980266?
When Young retired, I went to San Francisco, and in his hotel room he told me that he still had that column I wrote about him in college. "You were the first one to really praise me as a QB.
What say ye fellow Cougar Brothers???

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Tim Tebow the next Steve Young?

Post by Ddawg »

It could be - Tim has the wheels. It's really all about how he develops. Can he learn to read the NFL defenses quickly & accurately - and - can he shorten & quicken up his release. That's a real concern per NFL scouts. Tim is a project. We shall see if he works out. I lean towards thinking he will do fine - but will he be great?? I don't think so. Just my gut instinct. We shall see. I wish Tim well. He's a class act.
8)

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Steve made his transition from running quarterback to West-Coast-QB-with-scrambling-ability-out-the-wazoo while at college.

Tebow is already 4+ years behind the Steve Young curve, and even then Steve struggled through squalor in Tampa Bay and rode the bench behind Montana for years.

BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

I don't know if Young would have turned out the way he did IF he didn't backup Montana for all those years. I'm sure he learned tons by watching and learning from him for as long as he did.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I wonder if Tebow would have a better chance to play in the NFL if he was a linebacker...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Y12
Senior

Post by Y12 »

Let's make it clear that the article compares the CHARACTERISTICS of Steve Young to Tim Tebow.

They are both good runners for different reasons. Steve had speed and Tebow has size. Young ran a 4.4 40, and that was in 1980. Tebow is not close to 4.4 speed. I don't know how long Tebow's size will play to his advantage as a running qb.

It is nice to draw the connection since both are left handed and both ran a lot in college, but I don't think that Tebow will be the same rushing threat in the NFL, except for short yardage/goaline situations. Steve was a threat to run anytime, anywhere.

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Maybe Tebow should have opted for the USFL. I've heard the LA Express haven't had a good QB since Young...

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

The main thing Steve had going for him in SF is that Bill Walsh was his coach, and Mike Shanahan was his OC. And I believe Mike Holmgren was the QB coach for a time as well at BYU and with SF. Seriously, that is some awesome coaching the 49ers assembled. Steve had he talent for sure, but those guys helped him refine it. Tebow will need something similar to come close to comparing.

Starting with Josh McDaniel v. Bill Walsh, he already is at a HUGE disadvantage.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

So will we be seeing Tebo doing this anytime soon?

[youtube]Ni6cCwb6Nlk[/youtube]

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

snoscythe wrote:Steve made his transition from running quarterback to West-Coast-QB-with-scrambling-ability-out-the-wazoo while at college.

Tebow is already 4+ years behind the Steve Young curve, and even then Steve struggled through squalor in Tampa Bay and rode the bench behind Montana for years.
That's a HUGE point. I think Steve Young was 2nd string behind Montana for about 5 yrs. I think the fact that Steve was tutored by Montana & Coach Walsh (both outstanding, without peers during their time & both H.O.F.) I don't think Tim Tebow will have the same time frame given for him to develop & grow. The expectations will be more pressing & immediate.
8)