Why I Detest The Honor Code

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Why I Detest The Honor Code

Post by snoscythe »

Lawboy wrote:
Mars wrote:
Lawboy wrote:#1 argument against the Honor Code is the same it has always been. It is not the Code itself per se, nor is it the way the code is enforced when it is violated. It is that the "Honor" aspect of the code is not always the driving force. Not when you have students telling on each other, spies to enforce it, etc. What is the "honor" in that? And let's not act like that does not happen, because it absolutely does. If that component got removed, it be more like the rest of the world that LDS members live in. But with that component at BYU, it creates a mini-Gestapo influence that is simply not needed.
It's like those Neighborhood Watch Nazis that will call the cops on anyone they see breaking into someone's house, or busting out car lights. Those Gestapo freaks make me sick! :sick:
Let me know the last time someone got kicked out of the neighborhood for not wanting to participate in the watch program. Thanks.
Did they agree to the neighborhood watch as part of their HOA covenants? That's the only way your comparison could be accurate--if you've agreed to abide by the program and as part of your agreement you have agreed to a sanction for violation that could put you out of the neighborhood.

In our old neighborhood, we had a family who had such egregious covenant violations that the HOA was able to get a lien, foreclose when they couldn't afford to pay the penalties, and evict. Their violations? A non-compliant color scheme on their shingles and they built a shed 2 feet too close to the neighbor's property.

When you come to BYU, you sign a paper and commit to your bishop that you are going to abide by the Honor Code, and the punishment for violation is pretty clear. Part of the Honor Code is an obligation to report other violations. So, when I hear someone complain about being reported for a violation, I know two things: one person can't keep their promises, and another person can. If you don't like it, don't agree to it, i.e. go to UVU.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

Your HOA sucks. Or those people had horrible lawyers. Just sayin.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Next up: 10 commandments

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Lawboy wrote:Your HOA sucks. Or those people had horrible lawyers. Just sayin.
Moral of the Story: Don't make promises you can't keep. And this would happen with any HOA with well written covenants. Most people just aren't so dumb to refuse and refuse to comply like these geniuses. Kind of like the geniuses who sign the Honor Code thinking they can get away with shennanigans, but complain about "spies" when they get caught. These are the people who at judgment day will complain about "Big Brother" watching for their every mistake.

CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

Lawboy wrote:So you are saying that President Monson attends BYU and spied on his co-students? And here I thought he counseled his flock, then let them exercise their own agency based upon the standards set out in the scriptures. Which is exactly right. Again, nothing wrong with the HC, as it is an ideal based upon correct principles. But let me know when you find one of your neighbors spying on you and reporting back to Church HQ, cuz it ain't gonna happen, and thus, does not need to at BYU either.
Actually, President Monson attended BYU while an apostle. (He received his MBA from the Y.) He agreed to live the Honor Code and he needed an ecclesiastical endorsement. I doubt he was offended to do both since he was an Apostle of the Lord at the time. He's now the Prophet of the Lord and can change the Honor Code requirement if he felt it was a burden for BYU, its students and the perception with the outside world.

He's as media savvy a leader as anyone, much like President Hinckley, yet he's done nothing to change the requirements of attending BYU in spite of the media problems that seem to flock around BYU for being a place for "peculiar people" to gather.

CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

hawkwing wrote:I've also moved this to the Lounge, because it's not about football.
Perhaps you can rename the Lounge as "The Foyer." We all know the real dirt is discussed in the foyer at church between and after meetings, not during. ;)

bigbluepuma
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by bigbluepuma »

Interesting arguments agains the HC that is ultimately under the direction of the first presidency of the LDS church. I trust that most of the complainers are church members. :roll: Most of the arguments have been answered well. One that hasn't is that BYU would be the same without the HC. I only have one question..... What're you smokin, man????? :bug:

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

BoiseBYU wrote:Next up: 10 commandments
10 Suggestions

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

bigbluepuma wrote:Interesting arguments agains the HC that is ultimately under the direction of the first presidency of the LDS church. I trust that most of the complainers are church members. :roll: Most of the arguments have been answered well. One that hasn't is that BYU would be the same without the HC. I only have one question..... What're you smokin, man????? :bug:
Whatever it is, it sure ain't big enough.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
Cougy_Monster
Sophomore

Post by Cougy_Monster »

33311710 wrote:
And for those of you who I just pissed off - who will BLINDLY support ANYTHING that comes out of BYU Headquarters regardless of rationale or reason...Riddle Me This:

When a BYU student "transgresses" and violates the honor code, why is it easier and faster to get their temple recommend back than it is to get back into school and back on the football team?
Don't be a fool. The answer is clear. The leaders of our Church (you know them as acne blah blah geeks blah blah) choose to enforce standards higher than those required for temple attendance for members who voluntarily enroll in institutions that represent the Church either officially or by public inference. The BYU Honor Code is one example -- Missionary service is another. Many are worthy to hold a temple recommend but cannot serve a mission.

And please, for your own sake ( I really mean that) don't accuse people who are obedient to the counsels of the Church of being "blind" followers. I've been blinded and deceived in the past, but never by this Church.

Last but not least. You've fallen victim to a sly tactic of those who promote evil. They know evil must be disguised or it will be rejected for what it really is. So they rename things. Your folly is exposed by labelling sexual sin as getting "lucky". It may seem innocent, but in the context of your rant (which included strange attempts at using scripture to justify a clear hatred of policies supported by the 1st Presidency) your choice if words expose your more pointed message which appears to be that these "sins" aren't that big of a deal and shouldn't be punishable.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image