Why I am proud of the Honor Code

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Why I am proud of the Honor Code

Post by Mars »

Is BYU football a missionary tool? When the Cougars win, some people may gain interest in the Church. Then people realize how BYU is winning, and why it's important to us:

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/ ... ithout-sex

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Mars
Retired

Re: Why I am proud of the Honor Code

Post by Mars »

I did enjoy this article: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/2 ... Young.html

Specifically this quote:
" Why would someone interested in having sex go to BYU in the first place? That's like someone interested in an education going to Florida State. "
Last edited by Mars on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

great read. I love the honor code. You dont like choose it, than choose the other 800 colleges without one. simple as that.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

BYUBALLIN wrote:great read. I love the honor code. You dont like choose it, than choose the other 800 colleges without one. simple as that.

I hate the honor code! If you have a problem with me not liking it I could careless. Believe it or not but I can be a fan of BYU but not like the honor code or even more NOT be Mormon. So anyone can take those other 800 colleges and shove up there own arse. Its a simple as that.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

a1247 wrote:
BYUBALLIN wrote:great read. I love the honor code. You dont like choose it, than choose the other 800 colleges without one. simple as that.

I hate the honor code! If you have a problem with me not liking it I could careless. Believe it or not but I can be a fan of BYU but not like the honor code or even more NOT be Mormon. So anyone can take those other 800 colleges and shove up there own arse. Its a simple as that.
The point is not that you have to love the honor code as a fan, but you must realize that anyone who chooses to go to BYU and then whines about the honor code probably should take their brain and shove it up THEIR own arse.
Last edited by Schmoe on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

a1247 wrote: take those other 800 colleges and shove up there own arse.
I am Mormon. My older sister got a full-ride athletic scholarship to Arizona, mainly because BYU's coach expected her to go there without bothering to recruit her very hard. I spent 3 months one summer living with her and her teammates in Tucson. That's when I learned that I did NOT want to go to a University where drinking was the #1 social activity.

My grades and test scores were good enough that I didn't have to worry about whether or not I would get accepted, so I only applied to BYU, nowhere else. And yes, the freshman dorms took some major adjustments for this California kid to get used to. So did going the the Temple, the MTC, my mission, and married life. All of which I feel have made me, personally, a better person.

That, in part, is why I love BYU so much. My 2 year old daughter has a full football uniform, including a helmet. Why? Not just because I want her to be a huge sports fan. But because it's one small influence I can introduce to her life that I honestly think will help her make better choices, have a successful college career someday, meet a great guy, and have a happy life. And I'm sorry, but I don't see being a 49ers fan as having any positive or negative influence on my children. And the University of Arizona, as nice as it, just can't offer those benefits to my kids in nearly the same way.

bigbluepuma
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by bigbluepuma »

Well said, Mars. Thank you. Joseph Smith once said something to the effect of, A church that doesn't expect a lot from it's members will never have the power to get them back to heavenly father. The same principle is true for BYU. Without the HC, BYU is just like every university in the world. The Lord never does things just like the world. The difference in BYU (The HC) is what makes it special. Going to BYU for the special experience, then complaining about the HC is like moving to the coiuntry to get away from the city, then complaining that there are flies. You just plain can't have it both ways!

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

bigbluepuma wrote:Well said, Mars. Thank you. Joseph Smith once said something to the effect of, A church that doesn't expect a lot from it's members will never have the power to get them back to heavenly father.
“A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has the power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation.”

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

Thanks!

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

It's sad that so many of you think the HC is the greatest thing about BYU.

My geek-o-meter is going off the handle...

I'd be interested to see how many of you would actually keep the commandments if you didn't go to BYU.
Not many of you.
And no, that's not a sign that the HC is a great thing.
It's a sign of your own weak testimony and lack of will power.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care