HDR

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

HDR

Post by snoscythe »

Anyone ever mess around with HDR software? I want to try my hand at it, but I have no clue where to begin or what to try. Any input is appreciated.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: HDR

Post by hawkwing »

I really didn't know anything about this until you posted, but its something I'm going to try and play with now myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynam ... g#Software

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:I really didn't know anything about this until you posted, but its something I'm going to try and play with now myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynam ... g#Software
Yeah, it's pretty cool stuff....we have a good camera and I'm pretty proficient with Photoshop, but I want to get into the tonemapping stuff, but I don't want to throw $$ at a program or Adobe plug-in that's not going to give me what I want.

I want to do something with LES when I am back in Provo later this year.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

First test of it, using my cheap camera, on a day when the range of light was severely limited, but it still did some nice things to the picture.

Original Image:

HDR Image:

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

hawkwing wrote:First test of it, using my cheap camera, on a day when the range of light was severely limited, but it still did some nice things to the picture.

Original Image:

HDR Image:
That looks less like HDR processing and more like a basic Levels function from photoshop. Try the software on a rock formation with a sunset in the background and you'll get a much better idea of how well the software works.

I honestly don't think you'll ever get great results with HDR imaging software though---in even the most successful images I've seen it looks like a monkey with a hammer could have done as well with a few layers in almost any image-editing program. If you really want beautiful photos that simulate the high-dynamic range, using your own eyes and doing it manually will give you better results every time.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Sammich, you're right about these results being less than stellar, unfortunately all I had was an extremely gray and cloudy day, so the light wasn't what you'd really want for that. I hope to get better examples soon.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Here are my first three attempts at something. I would post the originals, but they are in RAW and still on the memory card in the camera in the other room. You'll just have to take my word for it that it was a pretty hazy/bland day. I don't have the time currently to pick a nice overcast day to go out and shoot, so I have to take what I can get. The fun for me is in the tonemapping after the HDR "smash-up."

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Very cool, Sno!