BYU-UNM for a 3 Seed?

BYU Cougars on the court.
nogbody
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU-UNM for a 3 Seed?

Post by nogbody »

GolfDiveNCougs wrote:So, uhh, is anyone else PISSED that Versus and DirecTV are STILL screwing the fans over???

Oh Yeah!!!!

I work so hard to get all the right packages and tv provider just so I can get all the games, and then versus has to go and get in a contract dispute with a satellite giant... I don't care whos fault it is, I just want cougar sports!

of course, they put all big games on versus as well.. (football and Bball)

FSU, TCU, UNLV... Does anybody else see a trend here, we lose all the games on versus, hope that's not the case against UNM!

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Dcr36 wrote:
jmvcougar wrote:(hoping for a Wake Forest type atmosphere)
That game was great (crowd-wise). I was expecting some chairs to fly after the 4th crap officiating call in like 1 minute's time.
I've been attending BYU BB games since moving to Utah in 2001. That Wake Forest game was the most FANtastic one I ever attended. I've never heard that level of noise at the MC that we had in that game. I missed the UNLV game this year at the MC, I heard it was loud, but I don't know if it reached the level of the Wake Forest game. Although we lost to Wake, the crowd didn't give up and contrary to some of the old "blue hairs" at BYU, a crowd can make a difference.

We need that noise for both SDSU and NM. Those both will be very trying games.

My belief is that if we win the regular season crown, that we'll fare no worse than a 4 seed, unless we lose the first game of the MWC tournament.

bball
Sophomore

Post by bball »

Unless our big guys start playing better and smarter, we may not win either game this week. Teams know our three guards are 90% of our game, so they scheme to shut them down, and ignore the big guys because they can't hurt you. So Hartsock, Miles, Obouo, and Davies better wake up and play; oh BYU goes down in flames and out of the top 25 in a flash.

Having played college basketball, I know good, experienced players are unaffected by crowd noise, they don't even hear it, they zone it out and just play. Crowd noise is only important to the fans. Oh yes, having the crowd there is a motivator, having the MC full is very important, but the noise is not.

cougarsunited
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by cougarsunited »

I hate to throw this into the conversation, but after New Mexico and SDSU, we still have to go into Salt Lake and play the :utard: s. Yes, they are stupid, ugly, a bad team, they stink (literally) and for those reasons and many others like them, they happen to compete with BYU, especially in their own sorry arena.... Even after a win over New Mexico we still have a ways to go. Having said that, if we win out, including the tournament, don't rule out a 2-seed, it's very possible.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

The reason we do so well against SDSU in spite of their bigs, is that the zone defense is their achilles heal. They can't shoot outside and our zone has given them trouble. If they hit shots (which they won't in the MC) then we could be in trouble. If not, they simply will not have much success trying to pound the ball inside vs a zone d.

UNM has shooters and our zone d hasn't proven as effective against them. I'd still zone them for a portion of the game so that dairese gairy doesn't think he can just drive to the hoop unopposed.

Both games are huge, and both are games that we potentially would could lose; but it is the Marriott Center and we certainly will be favored. We dont' have to play the best game of our season to win, but we can't play our worst. SDSU and UNM might have to play their best games to beat us and I dont' see that happening in Provo (but I wont' exhale til after the weekend)

There is little doubt that this is the biggest weekend for BYU in recent memory.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

If UNM and BYU play the exact same games, but the refs don't parade UNM's PG to the foul line every time he goes to the rim, BYU wins. BYU is a better team than the Lobos. If the Lobos don't soot more than 20 FTs, they're going to lose. If they don't shoot more than 10, they're going to get blown out.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

Aside from the seeding thing, has anyone noticed two things on Bracketology? First only one pac-0 team is in, and 2 they don't draw attention to it by listing that in the "bids by conf." column.

bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

craigoscarson wrote:Before and after unm there's a lot of hoops to be played. UNLV made the mistake of putting all their eggs in one basket and dropped 3 after their performance against us.
Losing to UNM doesn't hurt us as bad as losing to anyone else. I'd love to beat UNM (and I think we will) but losing any of the rest of our remaining games would hurt worse (seedings wise)

I think we have a shot to win out, but there's more to this season than UNM at home. We need a good showing in the conf tourney, wins against sdsu , @utah, @tcu etc.

A 3 seed is in sight but we gotta win em all, I just hope we dont' have the same type of letdown that UNLV had after their big win.
sdsu has the horses inside; I think we're in for a game on wednesday... depending on what sdsu team shows up
UNLV focused on Byu all year, then lost 3. TCU focused on BYU in football all year, then lost to :utard: . I think (I certainly hope) that BYU isn't putting that kind of focus on UN. Rose should have them ready for SDSU, and for next week.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

bigbluepuma wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:Before and after unm there's a lot of hoops to be played. UNLV made the mistake of putting all their eggs in one basket and dropped 3 after their performance against us.
Losing to UNM doesn't hurt us as bad as losing to anyone else. I'd love to beat UNM (and I think we will) but losing any of the rest of our remaining games would hurt worse (seedings wise)

I think we have a shot to win out, but there's more to this season than UNM at home. We need a good showing in the conf tourney, wins against sdsu , @utah, @tcu etc.

A 3 seed is in sight but we gotta win em all, I just hope we dont' have the same type of letdown that UNLV had after their big win.
sdsu has the horses inside; I think we're in for a game on wednesday... depending on what sdsu team shows up
UNLV focused on Byu all year, then lost 3. TCU focused on BYU in football all year, then lost to :utard: . I think (I certainly hope) that BYU isn't putting that kind of focus on UN. Rose should have them ready for SDSU, and for next week.

TCU killed Utah worse than they beat us in football. Now, last year that would be case where they lost to Utah, but I don't think losing a 3-pt game was due to a let-down because of playing us.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
kjjson
Freshman

Post by kjjson »

GolfDiveNCougs wrote:So, uhh, is anyone else PISSED that Versus and DirecTV are STILL screwing the fans over???
Yes, but in this case, it actually worked in my favor as I was able to further justify getting tickets to this game to my wife since: "We can't watch it at home".