Four MWC teams in the dance

BYU Cougars on the court.
CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Four MWC teams in the dance

Post by CougarClaw »

Espn is reporting BYU and New Mexico as locks for dancing even if they lose the rest of their games.

UNLV is a "should be in"

San Diego is a "work left to do"

Is there any way to root for four teams from the MWC to get in and still root for BYU?

basically I think it would come down to UNLV beating their bracket (including BYU) in the tournament to get to the finals, SDSU beating New Mexico in the tournament and then beating #25 UNLV. That means BYU loses early in the tournament =( , I think UNLV would be in after a later tournament run and an SDU win gets them in.

is there a better way to get four in?

Schmoe
Retired

Re: Four MWC teams in the dance

Post by Schmoe »

I'd much rather see BYU get the highest seed possible (ie win out) than see 4 MWC teams in the big dance. The reason: this is not football, and as long as you get into the dance you have a shot at the crown. And, although we depend on RPI and SOS somewhat, if we keep winning the regular season crown and dropping only a couple road games a year, I don't think we'll be kept out.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

SDSU will have to win the MWC Tourny in Vegas to get in, methinks.

Even so, USA Today has the Aztecs as one of their "last 4 in"- http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... bubble.htm

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

Schmoe wrote:I'd much rather see BYU get the highest seed possible (ie win out) than see 4 MWC teams in the big dance. The reason: this is not football, and as long as you get into the dance you have a shot at the crown. And, although we depend on RPI and SOS somewhat, if we keep winning the regular season crown and dropping only a couple road games a year, I don't think we'll be kept out.
I agree but if the MWC continues to do well, let's see we perennially put four teams in the dance, that leads to more top -25 teams on our schedule which long-term means higher seeding.

Nothing but good comes from having four MWC teams dancing. Obviously, BYU comes first, but conference is still second.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

UNLV might have just bit the dust. I still can't get over how they played in Vegas vs. BYU, and I still think the way that BYU played only added to their "hotness". That must have taken every last ounce of strength they had left to beat BYU. I think they are done. Put a fork in em.

I'm afraid that we are going to look back and wince when we see losses to Utah State and UNLV. At least both were away games. But those are not teams that should be beating us. They did, and I give them their due, but seriously BYU, why do you drop games like these (USU and UNLV)??? It's a head scratcher for me.

As the season wears on, it is starting to look like the UNLV loss is the worst one of the 3 losses. USU is playing pretty good ball at the moment.

FurriousCougar
Freshman

Post by FurriousCougar »

declocoug wrote:UNLV might have just bit the dust. I still can't get over how they played in Vegas vs. BYU, and I still think the way that BYU played only added to their "hotness". That must have taken every last ounce of strength they had left to beat BYU. I think they are done. Put a fork in em.

I'm afraid that we are going to look back and wince when we see losses to Utah State and UNLV. At least both were away games. But those are not teams that should be beating us. They did, and I give them their due, but seriously BYU, why do you drop games like these (USU and UNLV)??? It's a head scratcher for me.

As the season wears on, it is starting to look like the UNLV loss is the worst one of the 3 losses. USU is playing pretty good ball at the moment.
True dat. BIG game going on right now with them vs. La Tech. A win would would all but cement their chances of winning the conference. I also love the ball UTEP has been playing lately - sooooo good for us. If they finished in the top 25 somehow - that'd be huge.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

declocoug wrote: I'm afraid that we are going to look back and wince when we see losses to Utah State and UNLV. At least both were away games. But those are not teams that should be beating us. They did, and I give them their due, but seriously BYU, why do you drop games like these (USU and UNLV)??? It's a head scratcher for me.
What in the world are you talking about?

USU's RPI today: 45
UNLV's RPI today: 35

There's no point in complaining about these Top 50 road losses. Instead, I would celebrate our road wins over UTEP (RPI 55) and SDSU (RPI 37).

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Ignore this.
Last edited by BroncoBot on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote:
declocoug wrote: I'm afraid that we are going to look back and wince when we see losses to Utah State and UNLV. At least both were away games. But those are not teams that should be beating us. They did, and I give them their due, but seriously BYU, why do you drop games like these (USU and UNLV)??? It's a head scratcher for me.
What in the world are you talking about?

USU's RPI today: 45
UNLV's RPI today: 35

There's no point in complaining about these Top 50 road losses. Instead, I would celebrate our road wins over UTEP (RPI 55) and SDSU (RPI 37).
What in the world are YOU talking about Mars? Where are you getting your rankings from? (actually I just found the poll you were talking about, it's only current through last Sunday. USU will pass UNLV in that poll next sunday when their newest ranking comes out) UNLV is getting a ton of love for their "big" wins and name recognition. They are not a good team, they are simply the MWC's basketball version of USC who will continue to get votes no matter how bad they are. Utah has proved this twice.

USU's RPI today- 36
UNLV's RPI today-44

Pomeroy's
USU 26
UNLV 48

CBS
USU 34
UNLV 44

And I'll continue to expect BYU (who if you haven't noticed was supposed to be the better team) to beat any team with a 30+ RPI thank you very much.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

declocoug wrote:And I'll continue to expect BYU (who if you haven't noticed was supposed to be the better team) to beat any team with a 30+ RPI thank you very much.
So here are the teams you expect BYU to beat?! Wow, you've got extremely high expectations.

(rankings from realtimerpi.com)
1. Kansas
2. Duke
3. Kentucky
4. Syracuse
5. West Virginia
6. Villanova
7. Kansas St
8. Georgetown
9. Purdue
10. New Mexico
11. Baylor
12. Temple
13. Pittburgh
14. Wake Forest
15. Wisconsin
16. Vanderbilt
17. Texas A&M
18. Gonzaga
20. Tennessee
21. Cal
22. Butler
23. Northern Iowa
24. Michigan St
25. Xavier
26. Rhode Island
27. Texas
28. Georgia Tech
29. Richmond
30. Louisville.

While I grant you BYU "should beat" those teams ranked 20-30 and I think we'd do very well with teams 10-18, I certainly wouldn't "expect BYU to beat any team with a ... RPI" from 1-9. Or am I just reading way too much into your words? Because you seem to be saying that you would expect BYU to beat Kansas, Syracuse, Kentucky and Villanova - four teams that I think would absolutely kill BYU.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!