BYU Cougars on the court.
FurriousCougar
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Four MWC teams in the dance

Post by FurriousCougar »

kitic77 wrote:
declocoug wrote:And I'll continue to expect BYU (who if you haven't noticed was supposed to be the better team) to beat any team with a 30+ RPI thank you very much.
So here are the teams you expect BYU to beat?! Wow, you've got extremely high expectations.

(rankings from realtimerpi.com)
1. Kansas
2. Duke
3. Kentucky
4. Syracuse
5. West Virginia
6. Villanova
7. Kansas St
8. Georgetown
9. Purdue
10. New Mexico
11. Baylor
12. Temple
13. Pittburgh
14. Wake Forest
15. Wisconsin
16. Vanderbilt
17. Texas A&M
18. Gonzaga
20. Tennessee
21. Cal
22. Butler
23. Northern Iowa
24. Michigan St
25. Xavier
26. Rhode Island
27. Texas
28. Georgia Tech
29. Richmond
30. Louisville.

While I grant you BYU "should beat" those teams ranked 20-30 and I think we'd do very well with teams 10-18, I certainly wouldn't "expect BYU to beat any team with a ... RPI" from 1-9. Or am I just reading way too much into your words? Because you seem to be saying that you would expect BYU to beat Kansas, Syracuse, Kentucky and Villanova - four teams that I think would absolutely kill BYU.
I could be mistaken, but I think he meant teams 30-300 and whatever; not teams 1-30.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Exactly. 30+ would be any team with a rpi higher than 30. Those teams you listed kitic would be the cherry on top. Can't expect to win week in and week out against those teams of course.

But UNLV is 40+ in almost every poll and have suffered two losses to the utes. I fully expect BYU to beat them everytime.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

declocoug wrote: UNLV is 40+ in almost every poll... I fully expect BYU to beat them everytime.
Why do you keep referring to the RPI as a "poll"? No one votes in it.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Short_Change
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Short_Change »

declocoug wrote:Exactly. 30+ would be any team with a rpi higher than 30. Those teams you listed kitic would be the cherry on top. Can't expect to win week in and week out against those teams of course.

But UNLV is 40+ in almost every poll and have suffered two losses to the utes. I fully expect BYU to beat them everytime.
BYU should beat every team that's ranked below them and everyone else that's ranked should beat those who are ranked lower. Truth is almost no one beats everyone they're supposed to in college basketball. Every good team has a bad shooting night or two and every middle to lower team can get hot and beat a very good team.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote:
declocoug wrote: UNLV is 40+ in almost every poll... I fully expect BYU to beat them everytime.
Why do you keep referring to the RPI as a "poll"? No one votes in it.
:roll:

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Short_Change wrote:
declocoug wrote:Exactly. 30+ would be any team with a rpi higher than 30. Those teams you listed kitic would be the cherry on top. Can't expect to win week in and week out against those teams of course.

BYU should beat every team that's ranked below them and everyone else that's ranked should beat those who are ranked lower. Truth is almost no one beats everyone they're supposed to in college basketball. Every good team has a bad shooting night or two and every middle to lower team can get hot and beat a very good team.
I don't buy that argument about UNLV vs BYU. UNLV is in BYU's head. For some reason utah can get the job done in Vegas but BYU (with the best team that they've had in years) can't.

And I never said BYU will win every game this season. UNM. Totally acceptable. USU understandable but I expected more. UNLV, also understandable, but UNLV just isn't that good, and it was a dissapointment. I've moved on, but what's wrong with expecting to win in Vegas? Do ya'll not expect to win?

Like I've said, I just want to see BYU come out fired up and win games vs. teams that have double (or 1/2- for Kitic ;))their RPI (in which no one is voting) and ranking (where people actually do vote). I don't see that being too terribly unrealistic as a fan. You could just water down those emotions and decide that it doesn't matter if you lose sometimes. I'm not willing to do that, especially with how good this team is.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

declocoug wrote: Like I've said, I just want to see BYU come out fired up and win games vs. teams that have double (or 1/2- for Kitic ;))their RPI (in which no one is voting) and ranking (where people actually do vote). I don't see that being too terribly unrealistic as a fan.
I do- it's delusional and borderline insane. BYU has 3 losses, their best record ever at this point, all of their losses are against NCAA Tourny type teams, and you are STILL complaining. It defies logic.

Just... sad.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Short_Change
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Short_Change »

declocoug wrote:
Short_Change wrote:

I don't buy that argument about UNLV vs BYU. UNLV is in BYU's head. For some reason utah can get the job done in Vegas but BYU (with the best team that they've had in years) can't.

And I never said BYU will win every game this season. UNM. Totally acceptable. USU understandable but I expected more. UNLV, also understandable, but UNLV just isn't that good, and it was a dissapointment. I've moved on, but what's wrong with expecting to win in Vegas? Do ya'll not expect to win?

Like I've said, I just want to see BYU come out fired up and win games vs. teams that have double (or 1/2- for Kitic ;))their RPI (in which no one is voting) and ranking (where people actually do vote). I don't see that being too terribly unrealistic as a fan. You could just water down those emotions and decide that it doesn't matter if you lose sometimes. I'm not willing to do that, especially with how good this team is.
Who ever said that you said that BYU should win every game this season? UNLV has been great and not so great. You do know that UNLV beat Louisville at home and UNM on the road by 12, right?? Then they get beat by Utah twice. Both Utah and UNLV are a little bit erratic. Utah beat Illinois and killed Michigan. How they did that, beat UNLV twice, barely lost to UNM in OT and then lose to Seattle, Idaho, Illinois St. and CSU at home I don't know. I think Utah's two wins vs UNLV has more to say about Utah than UNLV. UNLV matches up well against us and they shot out of their minds good vs us. UNLV gets up for us and historically plays very well against us.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote:
declocoug wrote: Like I've said, I just want to see BYU come out fired up and win games vs. teams that have double (or 1/2- for Kitic ;))their RPI (in which no one is voting) and ranking (where people actually do vote). I don't see that being too terribly unrealistic as a fan.
I do- it's delusional and borderline insane. BYU has 3 losses, their best record ever at this point, all of their losses are against NCAA Tourny type teams, and you are STILL complaining. It defies logic.

Just... sad.
ha. Sorry for being a fan. And apparently a sad one at that. What's sad is that BYU has the worst SOS in the top 25 and when they had the chance to win one of the big games on the schedule they looked like they were all playing in Jr. Jazz. or Jr. Kings for you Mars. I think it's great that BYU has such a great record, but they are still fighting for 1st place in MWC play and if BYU wins @UNLV they could have all but locked up 1st. Instead of making this season unforgettable, it has turned into a season of beating teams that they should and having some forgettable moments.

I'd be a lot happier with BYU's record (in football and basketball) if they could have pulled off the games they should have won. BYU vs FSU shouldn't have been a game in Provo. It should have been a massacre. BYU vs UNLV should have AT LEAST been a close game in vegas. Even your comments back that up ("best record, losses coming against NCAA tourney type teams, etc) Not sure why you're labelling what I'm saying as "complaining". I'm just pointing out that it's unfortunate BYU couldn't put up a fight against mediocre UNLV is all.

Which brings me back to my original point, and I'm sorry you used the wrong Rating Percentage Index Mars and ended up looked downright human for once while trying to use facts, but UNLV, not USU will most likely be the blackest mark on our schedule this year.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Short_Change wrote:
declocoug wrote:
Short_Change wrote:

Who ever said that you said that BYU should win every game this season? UNLV has been great and not so great. You do know that UNLV beat Louisville at home and UNM on the road by 12, right?? Then they get beat by Utah twice. Both Utah and UNLV are a little bit erratic. Utah beat Illinois and killed Michigan. How they did that, beat UNLV twice, barely lost to UNM in OT and then lose to Seattle, Idaho, Illinois St. and CSU at home I don't know. I think Utah's two wins vs UNLV has more to say about Utah than UNLV. UNLV matches up well against us and they shot out of their minds good vs us. UNLV gets up for us and historically plays very well against us.
That's all great (by the way, when was the last time you looked at how illinois, Louisville and Michigan are doing? And I'll let you in on a secret, just don't tell anyone around here- utah beat UNLV 2x because unlv just isn't that good :sulk: ).

I'll say it again. I expect a team as good as BYU is to win against the UNLV's out there.

Fans that don't expect that are what I find sad. (not saying that you are one of them S-C)