BYU Cougars on the court.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Italy tour

Post by scott715 »

https://kslsports.com/414998/haws-tools ... taly-tour/

It has some highlights and the box score.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Italy tour

Post by EM_Puma »

Game 2

BYU 87
LLC International 46

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECdFKhCUwAALHR_.jpg:large

Interesting what a different lineup of players in 2nd game. No Haws, Wade or Toolson.

Why give so much time to Alex Barcello when he can't play this year? Sounds like he's the real deal.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I read a quote by Pope that he wanted his team to lose a game on this trip so that it would motivate them to play better and start off the season strong. Maybe that's what he was trying to do but it backfired?

Also, I just learned recently that the original Dream Team lost in a scrimmage to a bunch of college kids (granted it was players like Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway), but I never knew that. Apparently, their coach wanted the same thing: for them to lose and get humuliated. I guess it worked in that case.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Heard Zac S broke his foot and is returning to the states for surgery.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Thru two games, Yeoli had taken 20+ shots, but only one of them was a three. Looks like Pope is putting Yeoli down on the blocks.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

SpiffCoug wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:06 pm Thru two games, Yeoli had taken 20+ shots, but only one of them was a three. Looks like Pope is putting Yeoli down on the blocks.
I'm trying to understand why he played Yeoli in both games for significant minutes while holding back on the other starters. Pope has a plan, that's for sure, but it's not a traditional plan and so it's hard to just guess at what he's doing.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

This is not about the Italy trip. I attended Holmoe's session at BYU Education Week this morning. His explanation of the situation I understood was how it had been pointed out to me about maybe this happened because of Yoeli not having someone from the coaching staff to help him through his situation. TH made it sound like they tried to have both the compliance person(s) and "who was left from the coaching staff" help him and reach out, but they were unsuccessful. Now one, I didn't understand, after Dave Rose retired, what he meant about the coaching staff that was still there. I guess, and it makes sense, that they were still employed until the point that Pope was hired and said that he was going to go in a different direction. Someone at BYU would have then communicated that to DR's staff at some point after the retirement I suppose. I don't know. It was like the perfect storm. I don't believe from TH's response to a question about YC's agent that TH doesn't put the blame partly on him as well. TH did call the NCAA's punishment as grievous.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

EM_Puma wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:57 pm "who was left from the coaching staff" help him and reach out, but they were unsuccessful. Now one, I didn't understand, after Dave Rose retired, what he meant about the coaching staff that was still there. I guess, and it makes sense, that they were still employed until the point that Pope was hired and said that he was going to go in a different direction. Someone at BYU would have then communicated that to DR's staff at some point after the retirement I suppose. I don't know. It was like the perfect storm. I don't believe from TH's response to a question about YC's agent that TH doesn't put the blame partly on him as well. TH did call the NCAA's punishment as grievous.
i also think at the time Yoeli didn't really intend to come back anyway, so keeping on top of the right procedures was possibly somewhat of an afterthought to him. This is just for the NCAA. There are no such procedures for those who aren't coming back.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
CougarCrazy
BLUEshirt

Post by CougarCrazy »

The smart move is to never self report to the NCAA and tell them you will fight them all the way in any investigation.

UNC would have sued the NCAA had they been penalized and the NCAA copped out and said it was an academic issue. If UNC self reports and suggests penalties they would have been hammered.

Self reporting is over punished. It’s BYU, circle on the ground and all that.... but still think they could play it more like the big boys. I doubt Yoeli was the only one to make mistakes, but he might have been the only one to self report lol.

CougarCrazy
BLUEshirt

Post by CougarCrazy »

After posting that I realized Yoeli used an agent who was a no no so the SL Trib or Utah compliance department would have been all over that anyway. Both of those organizations seem really interested in making sure BYU follows rules and not so interested in what Utah is doing lol.