Tennessee must really suck!!!

BYU Cougars on the court.
Short_Change
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Tennessee must really suck!!!

Post by Short_Change »

Tennessee (ranked #12) must really stink because they just lost big to Vanderbilt on the road. They definitely don't have a chance at winning their conference tourney or winning a game in the NCAA tourney. They are just absolutely terrible. :P Sound familiar?

KYCoug
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Tennessee must really suck!!!

Post by KYCoug »

I really had the same thought when I saw the Tennessee score. I guess these kinds of arguments go on everywhere. The reality is road games are just tough and a good #24 ranked team can win a home game against a good #12 ranked team and that doesn't mean Tenn. needs to fold up shop and give up on the season. Tenn. baring a huge multiple game meltdown will go to the Show, and I would be surprised if they lost in the first round. SO WILL WE!!!!

P.S. and being from KY there is very little you will ever find me saying positive about the VolunTeaers.

Go Cougs!

L Hatton
Louisville, KY

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I would sincerely hope that everyone not named Italics has stepped away from the ledge by now. ;)

Other recent Top 25 team's losses:
#5 Michigan State to Wisconsin by 18
#21 Pitt to West Virginia by 19
#19 Georgia Tech to Duke by 19
#17 Temple to Richmond by 17
#20 Vanderbilt to Georgia by 14
#2 Villanova to Georgetown by 13
#11 Georgetown to Syracuse by 17
#19 UConn to Providence by 15

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Short_Change
Freshman

Post by Short_Change »

I wouldn't include UConn with all the other teams. They are in big trouble.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Short_Change wrote:Tennessee (ranked #12) must really stink because they just lost big to Vanderbilt on the road. They definitely don't have a chance at winning their conference tourney or winning a game in the NCAA tourney. They are just absolutely terrible. :P Sound familiar?
Last time Tennessee won an NCAA tourney game was 2008. They made it to the Sweet 16.
Last time Vanderbilt won an NCAA tourney game was in 2007. They made it to the Sweet 16.

And for the teams Mars lists:

Michigan State - 2009 (Championship game )
Wisconsin - 2009 (2nd round of tourney )
Pitt - 2009 (Elite 8 )
West Virginia - 2009 (Sweet 16 )
Georgia Tech - 2009 (2nd round )
Duke - 2009 (Sweet 16 )
Temple - 2001 (Elite 8 )
Richmond - 1998 (2nd Round )
Georgia - 2002(2nd round )
Villanova - 2009 (Final 4 )
Georgetown - 2008 (2nd round )
Syracuse - 2009 (Sweet 16 )
UConn - 2006 (Elite 8 )
Providence - 1997 (Elite 8 )

BYU - 1993 (2nd round)

Not trying to get down on the Cougars, but really when comparing BYU to these other teams, all of them have won more NCAA tourney games than BYU in the last 15 years. Even the Providence Friars. Interestingly enough, since 1993 BYU has appeared in more NCAA tournaments than Richmond and Providence combined, yet both teams have won NCAA tourney games since 1993.

I bring this up to echo a point I made in another thread, many of us, including myself, looked to Sat. game against UNLV as indication whether this year's team is different from the 7 other BYU teams that have lost in the first round of the NCAA tourney over the last 17 years. Georgia Tech dropping a game against Duke isn't much cause for concern for given Georgia Tech made it past the first round last season. Unfortunately, comparing BYU's loss to UNLV against the losses of these teams really is an apples to oranges comparison. They've all gone farther than BYU in recent history.

Make sarcastic comments all you want about those of us that are concerned, but if you take a step back and look at the trends there really is cause for concern. That doesn't mean we aren't any less of a fan than you. Just means we're concerned and worried about our chances...again.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Wait, I've got something here: every team has lost at least one game, so apparently no one will win any tourney games this year. Sounds like we'll just have to cancel March Madness and be happy without any champion. Darn.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Gunk wrote:
Short_Change wrote:Tennessee (ranked #12) must really stink because they just lost big to Vanderbilt on the road. They definitely don't have a chance at winning their conference tourney or winning a game in the NCAA tourney. They are just absolutely terrible. :P Sound familiar?
Last time Tennessee won an NCAA tourney game was 2008. They made it to the Sweet 16.
Last time Vanderbilt won an NCAA tourney game was in 2007. They made it to the Sweet 16.

And for the teams Mars lists:

Michigan State - 2009 (Championship game )
Wisconsin - 2009 (2nd round of tourney )
Pitt - 2009 (Elite 8 )
West Virginia - 2009 (Sweet 16 )
Georgia Tech - 2009 (2nd round )
Duke - 2009 (Sweet 16 )
Temple - 2001 (Elite 8 )
Richmond - 1998 (2nd Round )
Georgia - 2002(2nd round )
Villanova - 2009 (Final 4 )
Georgetown - 2008 (2nd round )
Syracuse - 2009 (Sweet 16 )
UConn - 2006 (Elite 8 )
Providence - 1997 (Elite 8 )

BYU - 1993 (2nd round)

Not trying to get down on the Cougars, but really when comparing BYU to these other teams, all of them have won more NCAA tourney games than BYU in the last 15 years. Even the Providence Friars. Interestingly enough, since 1993 BYU has appeared in more NCAA tournaments than Richmond and Providence combined, yet both teams have won NCAA tourney games since 1993.

I bring this up to echo a point I made in another thread, many of us, including myself, looked to Sat. game against UNLV as indication whether this year's team is different from the 7 other BYU teams that have lost in the first round of the NCAA tourney over the last 17 years. Georgia Tech dropping a game against Duke isn't much cause for concern for given Georgia Tech made it past the first round last season. Unfortunately, comparing BYU's loss to UNLV against the losses of these teams really is an apples to oranges comparison. They've all gone farther than BYU in recent history.

Make sarcastic comments all you want about those of us that are concerned, but if you take a step back and look at the trends there really is cause for concern. That doesn't mean we aren't any less of a fan than you. Just means we're concerned and worried about our chances...again.
This has all become very childish, and I don't want to think of fellow posters as basketball-ignorant, but some of the posts recently have me wondering...If you criticize the team after a loss then you're just cherry-picking that game and acting irrationally. If you criticize the team after a win you're a fool because, hey, they just won the game. I think the problem with most BYU fans is they get caught up in the record and don't really know the intricacies of the game. Nobody is saying BYU won't win now because of these losses (and if they have then I haven't seen it); all anyone has said is that they're concerned about the glaring weaknesses that were exposed and will likely be exposed again in the tourney. I love this team and I have made mostly positive comments about how they are the best team we've seen in 15 years. However, this is a forum where we discuss the team--good and bad--why is that now being frowned upon?

Short_Change
Freshman

Post by Short_Change »

Quite a few people think BYU has no chance or a very small chance at winning a tourney game because of the loss vs UNLV. BYU had a bad game and UNLV had the game of their life, very similar to A&M last year. I think most of us who have watched BYU throughout the year can see that we're a better team than we've been in the past few years. We have a great chance at getting a 3-6 seed. I think the argument of BYU losing games recently in the tournament is evidence that we likely won't get it done this year is absurd. Every year is different. The Saints couldn't possibly have won the Super Bowl this year because they never have and plus they were playing the Colts, right?

You have to look at the whole picture not just one game or what happened last year and I think it's very clear that this year's team is a lot different than the past few years. They are much better, IMO.

bigbluepuma
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by bigbluepuma »

The one place where history has an effect on the present is in mental preparation. I think that there has been a mental block, called a monkey on their back, for the past few years. That being said, if you have been reading my posts, you know where I stand on the subject. I think that monkey goes bye bye this year, for the reasons I have been giving, and because I think this is just plain a better team than in recent years.
GO COUGS!!! 8) 8)

Iceman
BLUEshirt

Post by Iceman »

I fail to see where a road game loss in none other than Vegas, means ANYTHING when it comes to the NCAA tournament. Maybe I'm stuck on apples and oranges?

This is a better team than those of recent history.

*Cough* *Cough* - Hmmm, looks like swine flu. Time to go see a ewet!