BYU Cougars on the court.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The Bright Side of the Loss at UNLV

Post by Mars »

-*- We won the 2nd half, 40-32!

-*- We were great from free throw range, shooting 19-of-22 (to UNLV's 12-of-19)! And Jimmer himself was 11-of-13!

-*- Like the Texas A&M game last year, Jonathan Tavernari was our best player, scoring 16 points of 7-of-12 shooting, grabbing 7 rebounds (a team high), and adding 2 assists and 1 steal!

-*- BYU is 22-3 (7-2) right now. I did NOT have such high hopes for us this season! It really has been a great ride so far!!

-*- If we play UNLV in Vegas twice this year, and go 1-and-1, I would rather win the 2nd game than the 1st one.

-*- We were ranked #12 coming into this game, and there were 10 other losses by Top 25 teams this week (5 of them ranked worse than us), so we should still be ranked coming out of it!

-*- The MWC could have 3 teams ranked in the Top 25 this week (New Mexico, BYU, and UNLV)! This would be a FIRST for our conference!

-*- The MWC-9 could have 3 more ranked teams than the PAC-10 this week!

-*- I doubt BYU loses again until the semi-finals of the UNLV Invitational (I mean, the MWC Tournament)!

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
bigbluepuma
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: The Bright Side of the Loss at UNLV

Post by bigbluepuma »

Good thoughts, but I'm ging to be a little more optomistic than you. I think we win the invitational. 8) :love:

CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

All very bright spots for the team. I'd also add that never has both football and basketball been ranked this high at the same time!!

I don't see us losing again from here on out and I don't think UNLV makes it to the championship game in the UNLV Invitational. Depending on how the rest of the season plays out that means that BYU beats them or SDSU or UNM beats them in the semi's.

Just remember, the tournament is played on a neutral site because all of the UNLV logos are covered up or removed. :skeptic: :sick:

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
clemdiggitydog1
BLUEshirt

Post by clemdiggitydog1 »

Mars wrote:
-*- We won the 2nd half, 40-32!

-*- We were great from free throw range, shooting 19-of-22 (to UNLV's 12-of-19)! And Jimmer himself was 11-of-13!

-*- Like the Texas A&M game last year, Jonathan Tavernari was our best player, scoring 16 points of 7-of-12 shooting, grabbing 7 rebounds (a team high), and adding 2 assists and 1 steal!

-*- BYU is 22-3 (7-2) right now. I did NOT have such high hopes for us this season! It really has been a great ride so far!!

-*- If we play UNLV in Vegas twice this year, and go 1-and-1, I would rather win the 2nd game than the 1st one.

-*- We were ranked #12 coming into this game, and there were 10 other losses by Top 25 teams this week (5 of them ranked worse than us), so we should still be ranked coming out of it!

-*- The MWC could have 3 teams ranked in the Top 25 this week (New Mexico, BYU, and UNLV)! This would be a FIRST for our conference!

-*- The MWC-9 could have 3 more ranked teams than the PAC-10 this week!

-*- I doubt BYU loses again until the semi-finals of the UNLV Invitational (I mean, the MWC Tournament)!
Mars,you're looking downright prophetic at this point,hope all your prognostications pan out,esp. re splitting with Vegas at the T&M.That would be sweet,and would provide good mojo heading into the tourney.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

clemdiggitydog1 wrote: Mars,you're looking downright prophetic at this point,hope all your prognostications pan out,esp. re splitting with Vegas at the T&M.That would be sweet,and would provide good mojo heading into the tourney.
Not to piss on my own optimism thread, but that's not my my actual prediction right now. What I'm predicting is that BYU loses in the 2nd round of the MWC Tourny to SDSU, who then beats UNLV in the Finals. Though a BYU championship win over New Mexico wouldn't surprise me too much either.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
clemdiggitydog1
BLUEshirt

Post by clemdiggitydog1 »

Mars wrote:
clemdiggitydog1 wrote: Mars,you're looking downright prophetic at this point,hope all your prognostications pan out,esp. re splitting with Vegas at the T&M.That would be sweet,and would provide good mojo heading into the tourney.
Not to piss on my own optimism thread, but that's not my my actual prediction right now. What I'm predicting is that BYU loses in the 2nd round of the MWC Tourny to SDSU, who then beats UNLV in the Finals. Though a BYU championship win over New Mexico wouldn't surprise me too much either.
I hope we don't have to try to beat SDSU for a third time this season in the tourney,as I'm pretty sure we take care of them coming up at home.invariably it seems very hard to beat a good team three times in one year.In any event we get a tough game past the first round,and obviously we haven't really acquitted ourselves well in past in the MWC post- season shindig, most years.

Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Florwood »

Your point about three ranked teams came true, NM 15, BYU 17, UNLV 23. In fact, insiders have indicated the loss was intentional, both to lull the Rebels into a false sense of security, and to improve the chance that the MWC has three ranked teams come tournament time.

Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Florwood »

Your point about three ranked teams came true, NM 15, BYU 17, UNLV 23. In fact, insiders have indicated the loss was intentional, both to lull the Rebels into a false sense of security, and to improve the chance that the MWC has three ranked teams come tournament time.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

Florwood wrote:Your point about three ranked teams came true, NM 15, BYU 17, UNLV 23. In fact, insiders have indicated the loss was intentional, both to lull the Rebels into a false sense of security, and to improve the chance that the MWC has three ranked teams come tournament time.
I like it! we take a tough road loss and the MWC benefits...just to bounce back for season's end.

I'd like to thank the 3 point line for being drawn further away when the Cougs are shooting... and the refs...and...

bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

CougarClaw wrote:
Florwood wrote:Your point about three ranked teams came true, NM 15, BYU 17, UNLV 23. In fact, insiders have indicated the loss was intentional, both to lull the Rebels into a false sense of security, and to improve the chance that the MWC has three ranked teams come tournament time.
I like it! we take a tough road loss and the MWC benefits...just to bounce back for season's end.

I'd like to thank the 3 point line for being drawn further away when the Cougs are shooting... and the refs...and...

Hmmmmmm--shades of Harry Potter. :bug: ;)