@UNLV

BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: @UNLV

Post by Gunk »

CDH wrote:You can't win em all! It sucks to get rolled that way but thats a tough place to play. Ya I don't get fans calling players out or bashing them when their team is 22-3! I could see if we were a bad team this year but its just shows how spoiled BYU fans have gotten over the last 5 years with BB and FB! IMO
I see your point, but let's be honest here for second. You can't tell me when a player say Max Hall fumbles 6 times in a game against a rival that you weren't blaming or calling him out. Pretty safe bet the coaches were too, so I don't see any reason why fans can't either.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

I don't think anyone has roasted a player too badly. Mistakes were made and I'm fine with those being pointed out. I'm still going to support this team.

FurriousCougar
Freshman

Post by FurriousCougar »

Gunk wrote:
CDH wrote:You can't win em all! It sucks to get rolled that way but thats a tough place to play. Ya I don't get fans calling players out or bashing them when their team is 22-3! I could see if we were a bad team this year but its just shows how spoiled BYU fans have gotten over the last 5 years with BB and FB! IMO
I see your point, but let's be honest here for second. You can't tell me when a player say Max Hall fumbles 6 times in a game against a rival that you weren't blaming or calling him out. Pretty safe bet the coaches were too, so I don't see any reason why fans can't either.

No, I think you're missing the point a bit, that's all. The point is not that you can't say, "hey BYU did not play great tonight and UNLV played really well." The point is that it seems a bit ridiculous to throw the whole season and team under the bus because of one bad game (which I'm going to argue was not even that bad in comparison to how other "top" teams play on the road against opponents not even as good as UNLV).

There's a difference between saying that we had a bad game, and overreacting and saying that our whole team and season sucks and that we have no chance of winning a tournament game this year.

clemdiggitydog1
BLUEshirt

Post by clemdiggitydog1 »

Gunk wrote:
I think a post game analysis here needs to be even handed,and as such while this is a good team and can beat almost anyone[not Georgetown or Villanova however based on what i saw this AM] when they're shooting it well,they have some glaring weaknesses,which is OK,but we are still going to have a tough time winning in the post season unless we get a perfect seed,which may be doubtful now.

ByuIcoug
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by ByuIcoug »

When one team can play aggressive and cause turnovers and the other team gets ticky tack foul how can that not affect the game. We saw the same thing when they were at the MC. Call me a cry baby but when they can handcheck all the way down the court and we get fouled that is how you lose games. They did shoot the lights out and we lost, but saying the refs do not affect the game is not true. The thing that is different between us losing at UNLV and other teams we dont have as many chances to improve our RPI like other conferences. Next time we play UNLV watch the handchecking is funny how unfair it is.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

sad but true clemdiggity

northerncougar
Junior

Post by northerncougar »

I think we were exposed: No inside presence and we don't handle it when the other team puts pressure on us. I am calling my shot now: We will end up with a 7 seed at best and lose in the first round of the tournament again.
Last edited by northerncougar on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

anyone still think TCU at home was our worst performance of the year?

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

northerncougar wrote:I think we were exposed: No inside presence and doesn't handle it when the other team puts pressure on us. I am calling my shot now: We will end up with a 7 seed at best and lose in the first round of the tournament again.
I still think this is the year breaking the curse. But BYU really really really really really really really needed a win in vegas today for a good seed. Which is why I'm so disappointed with the way the team came out and performed. UNLV looked like they were playing for their lives. BYU looked content to be beat.

Whoever was talking about hand checking, UNLV is quicker and in better position defensively when you compare them to BYU. If you have good position you can get away with some of the ticky-tack crap that they pull. When BYU does the same thing it is obvious and they get the fouls. Part of the game and a huge advantage if you are quicker.

clemdiggitydog1
BLUEshirt

Post by clemdiggitydog1 »

northerncougar wrote:I think we were exposed: No inside presence and we don't handle it when the other team puts pressure on us. I am calling my shot now: We will end up with a 7 seed at best and lose in the first round of the tournament again.
wow this is true,and we had it in front of us to keep a 3-4 seed possibly,that's what is ultimately soooo disappointing.Not enough killer instinct,but in fairness to the team we may have one more shot at Vegas,although we know how that's turned out too often in the past.Yes,even Villanova got beat today by a bunch,but the "eye test" says there's a difference.