Kuresa Commits to the Cougars! I'm so excited!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
pwride-Imposter

Kuresa Commits to the Cougars! I'm so excited!

Post by pwride-Imposter »

TBS is reporting that QB Alex Kuresa has committed to the Cougars.

Does anyone know anything about this kid?

He's real looker if you ask me.

Iceman
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Kuresa Commits to the Cougars! I'm so excited!

Post by Iceman »

pwride wrote:TBS is reporting that QB Alex Kuresa has committed to the Cougars.

There's some info in this thread about the offer. Alex didn't waste any time, the offer just went outlast week?
http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2262

*Cough* *Cough* - Hmmm, looks like swine flu. Time to go see a ewet!
bigbluepuma
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by bigbluepuma »

Iceman wrote:
pwride wrote:TBS is reporting that QB Alex Kuresa has committed to the Cougars.

There's some info in this thread about the offer. Alex didn't waste any time, the offer just went outlast week?
http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2262
He's not only good looking, he's a pretty good football player too. :lol: :lol:

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Am I wrong to wonder if he'll be playing a position other than QB at BYU? Some kids like this play that position in high school because they are simply the best athlete on the entire team. If that's the case, he may have a bright future as a WR or DB. But I really can't speculate any further than that.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

So far, I see a slightly more talented clone of Steven Covey - who has yet to see the field in any meaningful capacity. I just hope he doesn't have his heart set on playing QB because I think he's talented. If he's open to a position change, he could contribute in other ways than just behind center.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

I had a buddy in high school that shared minutes with me playing the 1-2 guard. We were both 6 feet tall and the summer after his junior year he came back and was 6'4" (I was still 6' ) and ended up playing the 3.

Kuresa has genetics on his side when it comes to height and size, so who knows if this kid doesn't get a growth spurt, I mean it's only halfway through his junior year.

I do understand that he was highly coveted by Utah State (and offered before they offered Trevor Brown of Timpview) has a big arm for his size and is a fundamentally sound player. You always have to have backup qbs and with the reports that Heaps doesn't plan on a mission and that Kuresa does, they really won't overlap much at all anyhow. Sounds like a nice signing, even if the kid ends up as a backup or another position; all signs actually point to the fact that this kid can play qb and plays it well. (think of all the Utah qbs we've turned away.... this kid has to be special)

though down the line....
I have been told that the next big thing at BYU after Heaps is Tanner Mangum
http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2009/0 ... _attention
Tanner Mangum, QB, Timberline (Boise, Idaho)
Tanner Mangum was a leader on the Timberline football team, but he wasn’t even a Timberline student.

The ninth grader from Les Bois Junior High made quite a splash playing with the varsity team. In his debut, he tossed for 335 yards and four touchdowns.

Mangum finished the year with 2,865 passing yards and 29 touchdowns in only nine games. The 6-1 quarterback threw for over 390 yards on three separate occasions.

Before you dismiss Mangum because he’s not from a large state, consider that former NFL quarterback Jake Plummer, who threw for nearly 30,000 yards in his pro career, is a native of Boise.

cougarsunited
Freshman

Post by cougarsunited »

What year is he coming in and is he a member?

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

2011. He is a member. His brother Jake played O-line for BYU as was a top national recruit. jake was a good player, but not the dominant force we all hoped he might be.

I have a questions for you all to consider. We have Heaps, Munns Lark and Nelson to cover QB between now and 2013 or so. Clearly, this signing is for 2014 or later. So he has a senior year and 2 mission years between him and the playing field. So this is a good future prospect, good signing. But what happens is this "good signing" prevents us from aggressively going after a GREAT signing down the road. My point being, early commits are nice, but they cut both ways. Get too many from players we "like", and perhaps it prevents us from going after the highly coveted players we love. I refer to Ricky Heimuli, or VJ Fehoko, both 4 star guys, both on Utah's list now, not ours. And the Fehoko's wanted their son at BYU, too, and are close friends to Coach Anae.

Anyway, thoughts on getting too many early commits?

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Lawboy wrote:2011. He is a member. His brother Jake played O-line for BYU as was a top national recruit. jake was a good player, but not the dominant force we all hoped he might be.

I have a questions for you all to consider. We have Heaps, Munns Lark and Nelson to cover QB between now and 2013 or so. Clearly, this signing is for 2014 or later. So he has a senior year and 2 mission years between him and the playing field. So this is a good future prospect, good signing. But what happens is this "good signing" prevents us from aggressively going after a GREAT signing down the road. My point being, early commits are nice, but they cut both ways. Get too many from players we "like", and perhaps it prevents us from going after the highly coveted players we love. I refer to Ricky Heimuli, or VJ Fehoko, both 4 star guys, both on Utah's list now, not ours. And the Fehoko's wanted their son at BYU, too, and are close friends to Coach Anae.

Anyway, thoughts on getting too many early commits?
Fehoko is a tweener that will never contribute at the major D1 level. He's wayyy too slow to play linebacker on our team and too small to play defensive end. (Utah State even just revoked his offer...)

Fehoko has made his name on the prep level because his lack of speed could not be exploited and he's a brilliant tackler. At the next level, his only shot is playing middle linebacker in a defense that asks him to do nothing but tackle when the guy comes his way. If he's asked to run and pursue, he's a huge liability.

The other thing about Fehoko that has turned a lot of people off, is that he told several fibs to journalists about scholarship offers that he had received, when in fact, they had not offered a scholarship. (there's a difference between sending a "hey keep up the good work" letter and an official scholarship offer.... hell, I got a football letter from Nebraska in high school and I was nowhere good enough to play major d1 football). Another is the fact that his family has personal history of playing the recruiting game with their other 2 sons. Why would Bronco play that game for a kid that doesn't have the quicks to play in his defense?

Heimuli is a different story; he would bring immediate depth to the dline and eventually be an impact player. He just waited too long and wanted to be recruited by pac 10 teams.

Bronco has a philospophy of recruiting players that want to be at BYU rather than convince wishy washy kids what BYU could do for them.

Nobody gets em all, but Bronco has a way of getting the right guys that are the right fit.
The fact that they got Josh Quezada and watched Brandon Bourbon switch his committment from Stanford to Kansas this week says it all. They picked the right guy.

Some of the right guys that are the right fit make bad decisions and some of them grow up and eventually make the right one, ala Uona Kaveinga.
Last edited by craigoscarson on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

craigoscarson wrote:I had a buddy in high school that shared minutes with me playing the 1-2 guard. We were both 6 feet tall and the summer after his junior year he came back and was 6'4" (I was still 6' ) and ended up playing the 3.

Kuresa has genetics on his side when it comes to height and size, so who knows if this kid doesn't get a growth spurt, I mean it's only halfway through his junior year.

I do understand that he was highly coveted by Utah State (and offered before they offered Trevor Brown of Timpview) has a big arm for his size and is a fundamentally sound player. You always have to have backup qbs and with the reports that Heaps doesn't plan on a mission and that Kuresa does, they really won't overlap much at all anyhow. Sounds like a nice signing, even if the kid ends up as a backup or another position; all signs actually point to the fact that this kid can play qb and plays it well. (think of all the Utah qbs we've turned away.... this kid has to be special)

though down the line....
I have been told that the next big thing at BYU after Heaps is Tanner Mangum
http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2009/0 ... _attention
Tanner Mangum, QB, Timberline (Boise, Idaho)
Tanner Mangum was a leader on the Timberline football team, but he wasn’t even a Timberline student.

The ninth grader from Les Bois Junior High made quite a splash playing with the varsity team. In his debut, he tossed for 335 yards and four touchdowns.

Mangum finished the year with 2,865 passing yards and 29 touchdowns in only nine games. The 6-1 quarterback threw for over 390 yards on three separate occasions.

Before you dismiss Mangum because he’s not from a large state, consider that former NFL quarterback Jake Plummer, who threw for nearly 30,000 yards in his pro career, is a native of Boise.
So this must be Parker's little brother?