BYU Cougars on the court.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Fredette and the NBA

Post by SpiffCoug »

craigoscarson wrote:
Schmoe wrote:It's not like me to be the pessimist about BYU sports, but I have the bad feeling that Jimmer is going to be the next Travis Hansen/Tarell Lyday (sp?), who were both great but didn't make it in the NBA for whatever reason.
For what it's worth, Hansen made a boatload of cash overseas....
And became a new citizen. Didn't he get Spanish citizenship? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
bigbluepuma
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by bigbluepuma »

kitic77 wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
Schmoe wrote:It's not like me to be the pessimist about BYU sports, but I have the bad feeling that Jimmer is going to be the next Travis Hansen/Tarell Lyday (sp?), who were both great but didn't make it in the NBA for whatever reason.
For what it's worth, Hansen made a boatload of cash overseas....
And became a new citizen. Didn't he get Spanish citizenship? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.
Russian.

ibleedblue
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ibleedblue »

Gunk wrote:
Kind of leaning the same way as you on this one; though, Hansen probably could have played in the NBA a few seasons. My limited understanding of the situation is he opted to go to Europe because he wanted more PT and after a few seasons in Europe there were some NBA teams interested, but he only wanted to play for the Jazz.

As for Jimmer, unless he significantly improves his defense, we won't make it in the NBA. If he comes back another season and puts up higher averages than he did this season than I see him getting drafted, but I'm afraid he'll turn out to be like Trent and find himself shipped off to a Euro team to get more "experience." The NBA doesn't look too kindly on a player being a liability on defense and that's what Jimmer would be...at this point. He struggles guarding decent college point guards, so I don't see him being able to handle NBA PGs.

As for Boylen's comments. Boylen also said they did a "good" job guarding Jimmer. So from a guy that considers giving up 36 points to one player a "good" defensive effort, I'd take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

We all know that no one plays defense in the NBA.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

ibleedblue wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Kind of leaning the same way as you on this one; though, Hansen probably could have played in the NBA a few seasons. My limited understanding of the situation is he opted to go to Europe because he wanted more PT and after a few seasons in Europe there were some NBA teams interested, but he only wanted to play for the Jazz.

As for Jimmer, unless he significantly improves his defense, we won't make it in the NBA. If he comes back another season and puts up higher averages than he did this season than I see him getting drafted, but I'm afraid he'll turn out to be like Trent and find himself shipped off to a Euro team to get more "experience." The NBA doesn't look too kindly on a player being a liability on defense and that's what Jimmer would be...at this point. He struggles guarding decent college point guards, so I don't see him being able to handle NBA PGs.

As for Boylen's comments. Boylen also said they did a "good" job guarding Jimmer. So from a guy that considers giving up 36 points to one player a "good" defensive effort, I'd take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

We all know that no one plays defense in the NBA.
You mean no one plays defense until the playoffs.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,