Jimmer's foul calls

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jimmer's foul calls

Post by EM_Puma »

This still begs from me the question as to why this seems to be true or appears to be true to us fans? I just can't imagine that the MWC went out and found guys that had a negative feeling toward BYU and therefore they would be unscrupulous and call BYU for fouls that the opponent got away with.

I can't imagine that our style of play is so dramatically different from our opponents that they would call a foul when, for instance, a UNLV player drives to the hole as opposed to Jimmer doing the same.

I just try to understand a lot of life logically and I can't come to terms with this concept. I hate to admit it, but when the ref went down in the Utah game Saturday, I was pleased with the fact that we'd have one less zebra on the floor. Then he comes back and within minutes, he called two fouls that from the replays were pretty bad calls. I hadn't noticed too bad of a game called in the first half and then the second half comes along and it's like the refs need to be that sixth man and help the Utes along. I just don't understand this and I probably never will until we play in the hereafter and we won't need refs as we'll be honest and call our own fouls ;)

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by stuckinbig10country »

I don't get why BYU gets labeled as unathletic. Haws, Abouo and Jimmer have been the best athletes on the floor on either side in almost all of BYU's games this year. Emery isn't really that far behind, and Davies is a great athlete. Athletic does not equal black (although Abouo and Davies are both african american).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

stuckinbig10country wrote:I don't get why BYU gets labeled as unathletic. Haws, Abouo and Jimmer have been the best athletes on the floor on either side in almost all of BYU's games this year. Emery isn't really that far behind, and Davies is a great athlete. Athletic does not equal black (although Abouo and Davies are both african american).

I'd agree with Abouo, Jimmer and Davies. I think Haws is more finese like. Davies is still a bit raw because he need to learn to get his cover guy to foul more often, but I think he has a lot more natural basketball savy then the other big men on the team. Abouo and Jimmer are my prototypes of players that I think are athletic that play for BYU.

BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BYULV »

EM_Puma wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:I don't get why BYU gets labeled as unathletic. Haws, Abouo and Jimmer have been the best athletes on the floor on either side in almost all of BYU's games this year. Emery isn't really that far behind, and Davies is a great athlete. Athletic does not equal black (although Abouo and Davies are both african american).

I'd agree with Abouo, Jimmer and Davies. I think Haws is more finese like. Davies is still a bit raw because he need to learn to get his cover guy to foul more often, but I think he has a lot more natural basketball savy then the other big men on the team. Abouo and Jimmer are my prototypes of players that I think are athletic that play for BYU.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't put Emery in the list of athletic players, maybe first on the list for BYU. There is no one working harder, running faster, jumping higher than he is during a game (have you seen his elevation on his jumpshot or to block a shot?). He is not broad and buff like Jimmer or Abouo, but size does not make you athletic. As a linebacker I would pick Jimmer or Abouo, but as an athletic BBall player I think Emery is the top of the class for BYU, followed by abouo, Loyd, Fredette, Morgan Jr., Haws (moved up after the Utah game and his dunk), Davies and Hartsock. I used to think JT was athletic, but I just haven't seen it this year.