Props to Jay Bilas

BYU Cougars on the court.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Props to Jay Bilas

Post by SpiffCoug »

We like to give Bilas a hard time for not knowing much about basketball outside of the Big East, ACC and a handful of teams in the Big 12 and Big 10, and rightfully so, IMO. But I think he's done some pretty good analysis for this article.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/in ... =bilas_jay

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Props to Jay Bilas

Post by Gunk »

I'm poor and don't have an Insider subscription...care to share?

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Yndian
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Yndian »

He's basically saying that college basketball is more physical than ever, and that the NCAA needs to do something about it. He has four suggestions (these are just the most pertinent parts of them):
1. Study the NBA's implementation of its rules: The NBA "cleaned up" its game, and it is a better game for it. While some lament that nobody plays defense in the pros, I disagree. The NCAA should consult the NBA, study the implementation and administration of its new rules regarding rough play, and determine the best methods for implementing a similarly effective policy in college basketball. My guess is the NBA would be pleased to assist in such an endeavor.

2. Explore bringing officials under one NCAA umbrella: Conferences should not have to compete for officials, and officials should not be doing as many games as they currently are doing.

3. Study the implementation of absolutes: [NCAA supervisor of officials] John Adams currently is pushing hard for "absolutes" in officiating. For example, when a player is tripped or when a player has two hands on a ball handler, it would be an automatic foul call. Some in and around the game -- and I am one of them -- are not so sure absolutes are the best way to achieve the goal. Reasonable minds can differ on such matters, but reasonable minds also are open minds, and there should be no resistance to exploring any ideas to make the game better.

4. Simplify the rule book: The rules in college basketball are not all that difficult to figure out, but the rule book could be simplified and made more user friendly.

Iceman
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Iceman »

I like the fact that the NBA has been cleaning up the game. It always killed me that Shaq has long been dubbed one of the greatest players of all time, when he wouldn't amount to squat if he wasn't able to knock his opponents around. That's not basket ball. No skill required to mowing down your defense, bumping them into the third row. That being said, he's still in the game, because they haven't really cleaned it up- only the small market teams must have all players play by the "new rules".
To be fair, Shaq gained a few skills under Phil Jackson. He actually has a couple of moves now, attached to a short shot, but still can't hit a free throw if the bucket were 5 feet wide.

*Cough* *Cough* - Hmmm, looks like swine flu. Time to go see a ewet!
Metal Bubba
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Metal Bubba »

He's still showing his ACC bias though, even if he's right. The ACC has always been a finesse league and it's made it hard for ACC teams to adjust once they get to the NCAA tourney where most officials from other conferences allow the much more physical play.

When you die, if you go somewhere where they ask you a bunch of questions about your life and what you learned and all, I think a good way to get out of it is just to say, "No habla ingles." ~ Jack Handey