BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Pope Scheduling Philosophy

Post by byufan4ever »

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-couga ... all-coach/

He said that he wants to play as many top-tier programs as possible even if they are all away games or 2-1 deals. Cody Fueger will handle the scheduling. BYU and UVU are working on a longterm contract (sounds like the Boise St. deal in football).
Last edited by byufan4ever on Tue May 21, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Pope Scheduling Philosophy

Post by ABYUFAN »

Rose got beat up for a scheduling philosophy much much more conservative than this. We'll see how this works out with the fans (As for me - I love it - so there)

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Until he starts losing a bunch. Maybe he can pull off what GU has done and turn it into a top 25 program.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

ABYUFAN wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:09 am Rose got beat up for a scheduling philosophy much much more conservative than this. We'll see how this works out with the fans (As for me - I love it - so there)
It really only matters what the selection committee thinks, and they have been very consistent over the years in rewarding teams who go out of their way (meaning, outside the conference) to schedule tough opponents. Yes, you do still have to win some of them, but not all or even most. Most of our fans have forgotten that BYU scheduled pretty aggressively in 2014 and 2015 and therefore got at large bids those years even with some bad conference losses thrown in.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Pope needs to worry about beating the teams in the WCC and then worry about out of conference scheduling. That was Roses downfall, not winning, or even taking second in the WCC because of losing to the dregs of the conference.....out of the blue. If BYU takes care of business in the WCC, they will get in the tourney. Gonzaga doesn't go out of its way to schedule top tier competition out of conference even though they do play some good teams OOC, but they dominate the WCC and that gets them in the tourney every year. All BYU would need to do to get in the tourney every year is beat everyone in the WCC and then split with Gonzaga and they would get invited to the tourney regardless of what happened OOC.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

frdbtr wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:58 am Pope needs to worry about beating the teams in the WCC and then worry about out of conference scheduling. That was Roses downfall, not winning, or even taking second in the WCC because of losing to the dregs of the conference.....out of the blue. If BYU takes care of business in the WCC, they will get in the tourney. Gonzaga doesn't go out of its way to schedule top tier competition out of conference even though they do play some good teams OOC, but they dominate the WCC and that gets them in the tourney every year. All BYU would need to do to get in the tourney every year is beat everyone in the WCC and then split with Gonzaga and they would get invited to the tourney regardless of what happened OOC.
Hmmm. Interesting.
"That was Roses downfall, not winning, or even taking second in the WCC because of losing to the dregs of the conference..."

Actually BYU has taken 2nd twice (2012-13, 2013-14).

"Gonzaga doesn't go out of its way to schedule top tier competition out of conference even though they do play some good teams OOC..."

Last year they played during the non-conference portion of their schedule: Texas A&M, Illinois, Arizona, Duke, Creighton, Washington, Tennessee & North Carolina. Your comment is a head scratcher.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Tough to decide if I like or not. Generally I want to play all the best teams, but getting beat week after week makes it hard to be successful if your OOC schedule is super difficult. I believe though that I'll trust his decision.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

We can play 50-100 ranked teams and win a good portion of them. Avoid the 300+ teams.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

EM_Puma wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:27 pm
frdbtr wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:58 am Pope needs to worry about beating the teams in the WCC and then worry about out of conference scheduling. That was Roses downfall, not winning, or even taking second in the WCC because of losing to the dregs of the conference.....out of the blue. If BYU takes care of business in the WCC, they will get in the tourney. Gonzaga doesn't go out of its way to schedule top tier competition out of conference even though they do play some good teams OOC, but they dominate the WCC and that gets them in the tourney every year. All BYU would need to do to get in the tourney every year is beat everyone in the WCC and then split with Gonzaga and they would get invited to the tourney regardless of what happened OOC.
Hmmm. Interesting.
"That was Roses downfall, not winning, or even taking second in the WCC because of losing to the dregs of the conference..."

Actually BYU has taken 2nd twice (2012-13, 2013-14).

"Gonzaga doesn't go out of its way to schedule top tier competition out of conference even though they do play some good teams OOC..."

Last year they played during the non-conference portion of their schedule: Texas A&M, Illinois, Arizona, Duke, Creighton, Washington, Tennessee & North Carolina. Your comment is a head scratcher.
So 2 out of how many years did Rose take 2nd in the WCC? How many years did he win the MWC? Last year Gonzaga played a tough OOC schedule, what have they done most years? My comments aren't a head scratcher unless you are looking for a reason to criticize my comments.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Did they finish 2nd, or "tied" for 2nd while losing the tiebreaker? It seemed to me that a practical 3rd in WCC tourney was the best they had done.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars