I Love Miles as a Person...

BYU Cougars on the court.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: I Love Miles as a Person...

Post by BroncoBot »

Schmoe wrote:Say what you will about Miles, but he OWNED every one of Utah's big men that he defended. He may not do a ton on the offensive end, but I think he's seriously underrated when defending other bigs.
And for the entire year, this has been the rule, not the exception with Miles.

Keep dominating that low post for us Miles.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

declocoug wrote:
Schmoe wrote:Say what you will about Miles, but he OWNED every one of Utah's big men that he defended. He may not do a ton on the offensive end, but I think he's seriously underrated when defending other bigs.
And for the entire year, this has been the rule, not the exception with Miles. Keep dominating that low post for us Miles.
I agree. Miles is never very active (rebounding, etc), but he's great when it comes to getting his big, strong body in the other guy's way and boxing him out of good position.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Y 4 Ever »

declocoug wrote: You guys are right. I forgot that Chris Miles was supposed to put up 20-10 stats every game and never foul and never let any opponent touch the ball. And score every time he touches it. :roll:

He had a bad game. So what? He's also part of the reason BYU is 20-2.
...and not 22-0

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Totally agree. Guy is a beast on defense. Davies gets pushed around. No one is pushing Miles around. Every basket Miles keeps from being scored is as good as a basket made in my book.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

33311710 wrote:
declocoug wrote: You guys are right. I forgot that Chris Miles was supposed to put up 20-10 stats every game and never foul and never let any opponent touch the ball. And score every time he touches it. :roll:

He had a bad game. So what? He's also part of the reason BYU is 20-2.
...and not 22-0
No, I was thinking more 15-7.

CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

Miles is a great defender and doesn't ever get pushed around when he is defending. Also his free throws have significantly improved over the past few years. 43% in 07-08 up to 66% this year.
My beef with Miles is that whenever he gets the ball down low he frequently bounces the ball once before going up. All that does is allow the defense to close in on him. If he would go straight up he would score a lot more points per game and his field goal percentage would be better.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

I think the 2009-10 version of Miles is light years ahead of the 2008-9 season version. When I saw Jimmer pass to him under the basket during one of the games last month and instead of going right up he goes and dribbles away from the hoop and there was only one opponent down under with him, his stock in my mind just dropped off the table. I just watch too much college BB and watch other team's big men and he just doesn't have it. He still doesn't understand what he needs to do. He thinks too much and his hands are about as hard as rock. I can't even count any more how many passes have been dished to him underneath this season and they glance right off of his hands.

I give him the same comment people might say about me, "Good guy, but just missing that real BB talent. Knows what to do, but can't translate it to action."

ibleedblue
Gray Shirt

Post by ibleedblue »

Don't forget he's also a really good post defender. He did a great job against Foster the other night and has dominated all season!

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

That's the thing I don't get... how do you play so aggressively on defense and then play like such a passive coward on the other end of the court?

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Italics wrote:
That's the thing I don't get... how do you play so aggressively on defense and then play like such a passive coward on the other end of the court?
I'd be surprised if we have more than one or two plays for him to take the shot and I think it makes him a little gun shy on the offensive end. Our guards are supposed to do most of the scoring the way our offense is set up and I think that's why he usually passes it back out. He's also not the greatest help defender coming across for the block, but one-on-one in the post I'll take him any day.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,