WARNING!!!

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Italics
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

WARNING!!!

Post by Italics »

I'm posting this here where most of you will see it...

Anyone familiar with the virus "Internet security 2010?"

If you don't believe me, google it... it's been a HUGE problem for tons of people on the internet lately.

In short, it's a virus that gives you fake prompts telling you your computer is infected... it does all of this so you will purchase it's software. Lots of nasty trojans block off your task manager and other basic applications to keep you from getting rid of it.

Well, I just visited mwcboard.com (the direct link, as opposed to jumping straight to the forums, as I usually do) on my wife's computer, and I instantaneous had this piece of crap virus installed onto my computer (is also appears on your desktop, which is mightily annoying).

Again, just google "internet secruity 2010 virus" and you will immediately see pages after pages about it... it really can do some potentially fatal damage to your computer.
Anyway, I am not accusing mwcboard of purposely having hidden malware on it... this sort of malware crap can appear just about anywhere.
Just thought I'd warn all of you ahead of time to not go directly to the actual website. I suppose it could have come from somewhere else, but she visits the same old websites every day (facebook, google, wikipedia, facebook) and rarely goes elsewhere, and so it's no coincidence to me that her computer got this crap as soon as I visited a different website.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Mars
Retired

Re: WARNING!!!

Post by Mars »

I got it mysteriously sometime last week. My laptop is still messed to hell. Won't open the task manager when I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL. Won't shut down without holding the power button. Won't close programs that freeze. Randomly quits Mozilla Firefox. Etc, etc, etc. I need to spend some $$$ sometime soon to get it fixed professionally.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

Mars wrote:
I got it mysteriously sometime last week. My laptop is still messed to hell. Won't open the task manager when I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL. Won't shut down without holding the power button. Won't close programs that freeze. Randomly quits Mozilla Firefox. Etc, etc, etc. I need to spend some $$$ sometime soon to get it fixed professionally.
downloading, running, and doing a quick scan with malwarebytes supposedly is the best solution for this... i'm running it on the wife's laptop, but the scan is going horribly slow.

I'm just going to abort it in the middle of the scan and remove what it's found so far... hope it helps.

But that makes me even more suspicious of mwcboard.com now that you have it as well. Somebody ought to notify the mods (i already posted this there just to warn people)

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

EDIT - Mars, you DEFINITELY need to download malwarebytes (free version) and run the quick scan. Make sure you click the "automatically update" box during the setup. It took awhile, but finally the scan finished. Removed all the malicious files it found (had to restart computer). Everything is absolutely fine now.

This software works great... don't waste money having someone else do this for you.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Italics wrote: downloading, running, and doing a quick scan with malwarebytes supposedly is the best solution for this... i'm running it on the wife's laptop, but the scan is going horribly slow.
This is what Google said to do as well. I did it, and it helped some, but it didn't find/fix everything.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

Mars wrote:
Italics wrote: downloading, running, and doing a quick scan with malwarebytes supposedly is the best solution for this... i'm running it on the wife's laptop, but the scan is going horribly slow.
This is what Google said to do as well. I did it, and it helped some, but it didn't find/fix everything.
I'd recommend scanning again.

You can also try running a program called rkill... it will stop all the processes of the virus (which should help you to do think like open your task manager)

Or you could system restore...

BYU-I has a free computer help desk, and the guys there are actually really good. Maybe Provo has one as well?

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I also recommend that everyone post only here and not at MWCboards!

Ungoy
All-American

Post by Ungoy »

My mother-in-law was infected with this virus as well. Unfortunately, I'm the only person my mother-in-law knows who knows computers, and so it fell on me to remove it. I highly recommend malwarebytes as Italics pointed out. Also I found that things went more smoothly if I rebooted first, and then launched task manager as soon as the desktop loads, before the trojans start running, then I start killing processes that are unfamiliar before they can take over the computer. Doing this allowed me to remain in full control of the computer while running the virus scan, and helped to make things run more smoothly, not to mention it kept the annoying popups from showing up. Be advised though, my mother-in-law is using an antiquated Pentium 3 933Mhz, so I had more time to launch task manager before the other processes started to take over. Once I cleaned her computer, she still complained that her PC is so slow. Everything is slow. She doesn't believe me when I tell her that her computer is out of date and that her hardware is slowing her down. She's under the impression that her computer is worth as much now as when she bought it. Maybe I should tell her that I have a Pentium 3 CPU that has been converted into a refrigerator magnet. :)

JamieVallen
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by JamieVallen »

Dang it's good to have a Mac... just kidding but I'm guessing I can't get it with mac or can I?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I had it a week ago. I could not fix it so I turned it over to the professionals. I wish this post was here then. I would have tried that program.

I just got a Nigerian Scam email. Can I send him the virus? I don't know how. Anyways why does the government not shut this virus down? they should be able to trace where the blackmail payment goes to?