BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Fan Complacency

Post by EM_Puma »

Definition of Complacency:
1. A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy.
2. An instance of contented self-satisfaction.

I've attended the last two BYU BB home games against CSU and Wyoming. It was amazing that there were 20K+ fans at the CSU game and the noise level was of a group of half that amount. Last night was of course half the amount of attendance, but my point is that we're reaching a point this season where the games just have not been exciting and I never thought I'd feel that about being on a 14-game win streak. What's stupid is that close games drive me crazy, especially if I'm regulated to watching them on the TV. BUT, at least afterwards, if BYU wins, there is a whole lot more satisfaction that I've felt lately as no one over the past two weeks has really challenged us.

It's a great place to be in, but I don't feel like I'm the only one in this boat as I've noted that the crowds lately at the MC have just been somewhat passive as we usually run neck and neck with our opponent for half of the first half and then we start distancing ourselves and the 2nd half is more of the latter. Yes, Wyoming came back to within 9 or something last night in the 2nd half, but it sure didn't feel like they had and then BYU was off again. We seem to be our own worse enemy rather than the competition rising to beat us.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because this is a good situation to be in when you follow your team and maybe it's just that we haven't had it like this for quite some time, but it's getting to the point where you try to figure how much we're going to win by and not whether or not we'll win. To be up two games in the division when you've only played four--it's hard not to be complacent.

We lost the game to Wake Forest last season, but at least I went away from that game energized from the crowd and the competitive spirit that was felt. It's been lacking lately and the feeling is more--ho hum. I'm sorry I missed the UNLV game at the MC, because the word was the fans were crazy and I guess I'm looking for that feeling again. Maybe we'll get it in our next game at home against Utard. I'll have to admit that in the case of beating them, if it's by a bunch, the more points, the greater it will feel.

WBcougar
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Fan Complacency

Post by WBcougar »

I have two comments on this. First, while I have been unable to attend any games in the MC, I have sensed a feeling, both in the media and also on discussion boards, that if BYU doesn't blow a team out and win by 20+ points then they must be having an off night or in someway choking. I think fans are easily spoiled by a team's success and that we want to blow other teams out. When we don't, this then leads us to thinking there might be a problem. This leads me to my second comment: I think most fans are holding back on getting too excited about this team until we see what happens in the post season. Too many times BYU has had a good team only to lose in the first round of the tournament. Once we get that monkey off of our collective back, then I think fans will go nuts and get much more enthused about vocally supporting this team and even teams in the future.

Basketball has the same problem that we see in football. We have witnessed the team up north go to a BCS bowl game twice in the past five years. Now, we all know that the Cougars have a consitently better team than the Utes, but it becomes difficult to defend your team because we can only fall back on 1984 only so many times. Same thing in basketball, in the past 10+ years, the Utes have been to the final four once and the sweet 16 several other times. For many fans, our true comparison is to what the Utes have done. Until we can match what they have done in recent years, many fans will remain reluctant to show support. I think this is what you are witnessing when you mention the "complacency" of fans. So, what I am really hoping for with this team is to blow out the Utes (twice), win the conference, and advance to the sweet 16.

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

I'm angry at how empty the Marriott center has been. I've had too much experience to expect anything more sound-wise from my end of the arena (we've got season tickets with the blue-hairs), but at the very least we should be filling the seats during what might be the most exciting year of Cougar basketball in decades!

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Well, the simple answer is that our conference is generally boring. It's no diff from football. I know some guys get all pumped up for every game, but I just can't do it. Great wins, but nothing was really gained/proven as far as national presence goes. Not everyone looks at it from that perspective I know, but to me it's hard to care when we play our cellar dwellers a few games in a row. I get bored and I can assure you the players do too.

billbillbillbill
BLUEshirt

Post by billbillbillbill »

As one who attended Saturday's and last nights games, I can see your point. It was fun to be there Saturday with the place full but the loudest cheers seemed to come when the lady did the splits at halftime.

And last night, if you didn't know the score, you would have thought BYU was losing with the comments that were going around. I heard many comments about how lousy we were playing and then looked up and we were up 15 points.

I hope I am one who can enjoy the games for the game. I have fun watching us just bury a team in Basketball (sorry Eastern Washington) and Football (sorry UCLA :D )

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I'm in California so I don't have the luxury of attending the games anymore. When I was there I was at every game.

Couple of other things unrelated to the "quality" of fans to keep in mind about the difference in attendance between the CSU and Wyoming games. CSU game was on a Saturday. The Wyoming game was on Wednesday. Sure for students it's not that big of a deal, but for working peeps and families it is. Also, for the CSU game there was a $1/ticket promotion, which I am sure drew in a lot of people. There are a lot of poor, married students in the area that are die hard fans but don't have the cash for an AllSports Pass, so when there's a $1 promotion they come out of the woodwork. They can bring the whole family to the game for $6 bucks :lol:

Also, we've beaten Wyoming how many times in a row now? I work full time. Even if I lived in the area and had season tickets if there was a game that I knew I could skip it would have been the Wyoming game.

On a side note, I find it rather ironic when "fans" come on here and start complaining about the fans complaining about the team. Some fans like to complain. Some people are like that. They get the same amount of enjoyment critiquing the game/team that you get out of looking through blue goggles. Be happy that they are there. Would you rather they not show up?

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Y&Brit
Freshman

Post by Y&Brit »

1-academics are so challenging I can see why people skip it.
2-games are too late. Students fill up, but people aren't going to come from distances of over 10 miles for an 8pm tip. Even saturday games are late. It's stupid.

Dave is going to be National Coach of the Year, or at least MWC COY. BYU will see better crowds if they make games earlier/cheaper/keep winning. I've been to every home game this year but about 2-3, here's how I think we'll fill up the rest of the way.

BTW-BYU's MC crowd are ALWAYS 2-3 times bigger than any road crowd, except for NM

UTAH-22,000 (52 utah fans)
TCU-11,000
AFA-17,000 (have it earlier on saturday, people will show up. Even if it's just AF)
SDSU-18,000
NM-21,000

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

only correction would be at UNLV where the place will be full and obnoxious (think they seat close to 20K). I really hope we beat those guys this year.