MWC Race Facts

BYU Cougars on the court.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

MWC Race Facts

Post by Mars »

1- Since the addition of TCU, NO MWC champ or co-champ has EVER had LESS than TWO road losses in conference play. They HAVE had as many as FOUR though. Multiple MWC road losses are a typical and expected part of even championship seasons, including all of BYU's.

2- Since the creation of the league, NONE of the 16 MWC champs or co-champs have lost MORE than ONE conference game AT HOME. So as for UNLV, New Mexico, and Utah- One more and they're virtually done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BYU's next two games @ SDSU and @ New Mexico are going to tell us a lot about our league standing. I don't think a single sane BYU fan expects BYU to go through MWC play with less than one loss this season, but it sure would be nice to make it through this road series with less than two... Should we expect a split?

Would you rather beat New Mexico, dropping the Lobos from legitimate conference contention, or SDSU, bumping them down to the same level as the other two of the MWC's "Big Four"?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Re: MWC Race Facts

Post by SpiffCoug »

I expect a split. I do think a sweep is more likely than dropping both.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by gmj81 »

I'd rather beat San Deigo and lose to New Mexico at this stage in the game if I were forced to take a split. With a win over SDSU the streak extends at least one more game. And while there is no shame in losing on either team's home floor, I think the Pit is the more respected nationally of the two. Plus, a win over BYU might just bump them back into the top 25 so that when we play them again at the MC they'd be ranked. Plus I really don't think SDSU has the goods to be a serious at-large contender so I'd prefer to keep it to a strong three-bid league with the possibility of four if some other squad gets hot in the tourney. We just need New Mexico and UNLV to step it up and quit dropping games they shouldn't.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Excellent points. Plus, the Pit crowd simply hates BYU, they don't usually set out to mock and deride the Mormon church. I fully expect to see multiple anti-Mormon signs by the SDSU students, plus a few knuckledraggers dressed in white shirt, tie and bike helmet. Note to SDSU: making fun of people's religion is not funny it's ignorant.

(Of course the only religion that is fair game is the Mormon one. I can't imagine a student being allowed to wear Jewish Payots (their long sideburns/locks) or a Sikh head wrap or Islamic Ihram (their long flowing garb) to mock a Jewish, Sikh or Muslim school).

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Florwood
Senior

Post by Florwood »

kitic77 wrote:(Of course the only religion that is fair game is the Mormon one. I can't imagine a student being allowed to wear Jewish Payots (their long sideburns/locks) or a Sikh head wrap or Islamic Ihram (their long flowing garb) to mock a Jewish, Sikh or Muslim school).
Here I thought this thread was going to be about race (more slow white guy stuff), and it's about religion.

Are there any Jewish, Sikh or Muslim schools that play SDSU or Stanford in basketball?

The other religion that people love to make fun of is catholicism; I wonder if anyone shows up for Notre Dame games dressed up as the pope or something similar?

bigbluepuma
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by bigbluepuma »

kitic77 wrote:I expect a split. I do think a sweep is more likely than dropping both.
I expect at least a split. Should they lose to SDSU, there is no way that they lose to NM. They can beat both at their houses, if they come in to both games to play. If they slack off at all they could lose one.

Here's to a sweep!! :) :) :D 8)

bigbluepuma
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by bigbluepuma »

I can't imagine a student being allowed to wear Jewish Payots (their long sideburns/locks) or a Sikh head wrap or Islamic Ihram (their long flowing garb) to mock a Jewish, Sikh or Muslim school).

That could get them killed!

bball
Sophomore

Post by bball »

The season is 2/3 over, everybody has seen everybody else, everybody knows how the other team plays, there are few surprises, so games get a little more competitive. The Wyoming game is a good example. Coach Schroyer determines to stop Jimmer, he mostly does, but everybody else, especially Haws beats him, and the game isn't that close. So what does he do next time? Probably play it straight up, Haws doesn't get 24, but Jimmer does.

I expect BYU to win both games, SDSU and NM. I didn't see the Utah State game, maybe they stunk it up there. But otherwise, I haven't seen this team have a bad game. There are too many really good players on this team; Jimmer, Emery and Haws can all beat you. And the inside guys are getting pretty good, Miles, Davies Obouo and Harsock. Everybody just plays really well. So I expect BYU to return 21-1.

And BYU's free throw shooting will be the difference in a close game, which I expect both SDSU and NM to be.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

bball wrote: I expect BYU to win both games, SDSU and NM.
No modern MWC team has gone through conference play with less than two road losses. If BYU wins both of their next two games, they should break that streak. Would that make BYU the best team in the history of the MWC? Do we really think the Cougars will make it farther in March Madness than any other MWC team from the past 5 years? I'm not so quick to "go there" yet.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Mars wrote:
bball wrote: I expect BYU to win both games, SDSU and NM.
No modern MWC team has gone through conference play with less than two road losses. If BYU wins both of their next two games, they should break that streak. Would that make BYU the best team in the history of the MWC? Do we really think the Cougars will make it farther in March Madness than any other MWC team from the past 5 years? I'm not so quick to "go there" yet.
Just curious if there is anything other than a "Modern" MWC team . . . is that pre-TCU? ;)

On a more serious note, does BYU have to go farther into the tournament to be the best MWC team ever? A lot depends on matchups. I'm sure we could set up three brackets of equally seeded teams for BYU to play against and in one scenario they make it to the final four, the other the sweet 16 and yet another they lose early (maybe not the third option since they should get a high enough seed to have a favorable schedule initially). It's the same team, only one looks like the greatest team ever in the MWC and the other just looks good. That :utard: team that went to the final 4 was good, but they had some favorable matchups as well. I think with a different draw they don't make it out of the sweet 16.