Houston Reynolds on brother Dallas not yet being hired as OL coach

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Houston Reynolds on brother Dallas not yet being hired as OL coach

Post by hawkwing »

houstonreynolds.PNG
I'm having a hard time understanding how Dallas is not a shoe in and the obvious choice for the Offensive line job.
Off the top of my head thinking about Dallas's experience:
• Raised and coached for 30+ years by one of BYU's longest tenured and most loyal coaches Lance Reynolds. (Who played in the NFL, and coached at BYU for 30+ years)
• Highly recruited out of high school, 2x all state, committed to BYU served LDS mission.
• Returns to BYU to win the starting spot as a freshman.
• Plays all 50 games without missing a single one in his career at BYU.
• Named Freshman All American
• 2x all MWC
• BYU at the time was 4TH IN THE NATION in total offense
• Spends 4 years with the Philadelphia eagles
• 4 years being coached by Andy Reid (Currently head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, 4x Coach of the year award winner, Super Bowl Champion, NFL Coach since 1992, BYU alumnus and teammate of Jim McMahon)
• Coached by Juan Castillo (Coaching in the NFL since 1995, Now OL coach and Run game coordinator for the buffalo bills)
• Coached by Howard Mudd (12-year coach of the offensive line at the Indianapolis colts, during which they lead the NFL in fewest number of sacks, and super bowl XLI champion)
• Plays 3 years with the New York Giants.
• Coached by Tom Coughlin 3 years at the NY Giants (3x super bowl champion coached in the league forever
• Coached by Pat Flaherty (2x super bowl champion, coaching in the NFL since 2000, currently the OL coach at the Jacksonville jaguars.
• Upon finishing his NFL career was assistant coach with the offensive line at pleasant grove high school.
• After which he became a graduate assistant at BYU for the last several seasons.
That’s a lot of years being coached, learning from, and incorporating the styles of some pretty heavy hitters.
Now consider this…there are coaches and Division 1 programs that see every year playing in the NFL as a year of coaching experience…. Which would make Dallas the most qualified guy they could offer.

On top of this, he is a BYU guy. He is LDS, he served an LDS mission, he committed and played and bled for the program. He knows how to recruit at BYU, he knows the culture, he knows what it takes to be successful AT BYU and in the NFL.
There is not a better choice!
I'm with my brother Lance Jr. BYU doesn’t value their own until they go somewhere else. Maybe the Reynolds Clan needs to act accordingly.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Houston Reynolds on brother Dallas not yet being hired as OL coach

Post by snoscythe »

Gotta drink the Kool-aid and get the Derik Stevenson stamp of approval first.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Eh.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

So since he was a good player and got coached by lots of good coaches, he should be a shoe in? All the coaching experience he has is at a high school and as a graduate assistant. I'm not buying. The offensive line is the most important position in the offense aside from the QB. We need someone like Jeff Grimes to coach it again. I don't want any graduate assistants getting Zach Wilson killed next year.

jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

I'm not saying that Dallas should be hired, but I am saying it could be worse...

Mark Weber.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

I'm not a big fan of the threats to "go elsewhere." Either leave or don't but if you gotta use the threat to leave as a bargaining chip you've already lost the loyalty card.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

frdbtr wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:02 am So since he was a good player and got coached by lots of good coaches, he should be a shoe in? All the coaching experience he has is at a high school and as a graduate assistant. I'm not buying. The offensive line is the most important position in the offense aside from the QB. We need someone like Jeff Grimes to coach it again. I don't want any graduate assistants getting Zach Wilson killed next year.
Wasn't the justification for the Detmer hire? 14 years as a back-up in the NFL was like being a coach...That didn't turn out well. We need to hire coaches that have success in actual college coaching positions on the resume.

I think Reynolds should go get a job at SUU, Weber St., or Dixie State first. Then, after a couple of successful years, he could make a case for oline coach at BYU.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Yeah, each year in the NFL may be equivalent to a year of coaching experience, but he worked with Grimes all last season as a GA with Pugh and the Oline.

I think Grimes has the best sense of anyone right now as to whether or not Dallas is the best man for the job.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Although I'm sure Houston released the tweet with Dallas' knowledge, I appreciated the information in the post. He makes a good case.

I dislike playing the 'go elsewhere' card, but I disagree that it shows a lack of loyalty--Houston is asking for some recognition of loyalty. I got the feeling when Lance Sr retired that he was being pushed out as much as anything, and was moved off of coaching the O-Line where he would have liked to coach his son's last year--and I think the Reynolds Clan wasn't so happy with that. Kind of like what later happened with Steve Kaufusi. And with the Whittinghams before that--that's a big reason why Kyle went to and later stayed at the U. Houston has a point that BYU often doesn't value what they have until its gone.

Given the composition of the current staff, I'm generally against bringing in any more good ole boys from BYU--diversity of thought is an asset. But Dallas has an impressive pedigree and he has been through enough other coaches to bring diverse ideas from outside the Wasatch. And he has both been coached by Grimes as a player in DR's first two years at BYU, including being named a Freshman All American and during the extremely successful 2006 season, and he has now coached under Grimes in 2018. So if Grimes decides after seeing all of that that he wants to tap Reynolds as the next OL coach, I'm OK with that. If Grimes wants to go in a different direction, then I say Dallas has set the bar pretty high, and I'll be excited by anyone who can outdo Dallas' pedigree.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:49 am Yeah, each year in the NFL may be equivalent to a year of coaching experience, but he worked with Grimes all last season as a GA with Pugh and the Oline.

I think Grimes has the best sense of anyone right now as to whether or not Dallas is the best man for the job.
I agree. Looks like we were typing at the same time.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK