Follow Up Poll - How many P5 teams should BYU schedule a year?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

How many P5 teams should BYU schedule a year?

None
No votes
No votes
10%
24%
19%
5%
24%
7+
19%

Total votes: 21

KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Follow Up Poll - How many P5 teams should BYU schedule a year?

Post by KingCoug »

How many P5 teams should BYU schedule a year?

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Follow Up Poll - How many P5 teams should BYU schedule a year?

Post by redneckjedi »

Lots. But let's make it look like a real P5 schedule. I'm fine playing Wisconsin if we also get a Northwestern or Rutgers. I'm fine playing Washington if we also have Oregon State or this year's crappy UCLA. Texas and Kansas. Bama and Arkansas. If/when we do get the call to join the P5, I want to already be used to what we'll deal with in conference.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

redneckjedi wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:25 pm Lots. But let's make it look like a real P5 schedule. I'm fine playing Wisconsin if we also get a Northwestern or Rutgers. I'm fine playing Washington if we also have Oregon State or this year's crappy UCLA. Texas and Kansas. Bama and Arkansas. If/when we do get the call to join the P5, I want to already be used to what we'll deal with in conference.
True, not all P5 teams are created equal. Of course, it's hard to forsee how good a team will be in the future year you're scheduling them.

But, if we want a real P5 schedule, you're talking 9 or 10 P5 opponents a year. How wise is that for BYU with our recruiting limitations?

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

If BYU wants to join a P5 conference, we need to schedule and beat as many P5's as possible.

Schedule 2 toughies and fill in the rest with bottom half P5s.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Gunk wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:36 pm If BYU wants to join a P5 conference, we need to schedule and beat as many P5's as possible.

Schedule 2 toughies and fill in the rest with bottom half P5s.
I'm not sure how many P5 teams we beat has any effect on us getting an invite to a P5 conference at this point.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

We need more Rutgers, Minnesota and Vanderbilt type of P5s and less Washington and Cals

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

1. Utah
2. Another PAC 12 team
3. A program from the other 4 P5s.

That’s plenty. Play BSU, USU and a FCS team every year.

The remaining 6 games should be against other G5 teams. This would give us a plenty challenging schedule, but a schedule where we can be successful.

I think it is much more important to finish 10-3 and ranked playing only 3 P5s than finishing 8-5 playing 6 P5s.

redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

It depends on what your goals are. If all you care about is the W/L record, yeah, schedule nobody. If you want butts in seats and eyeballs on TVs and dollars in the bank so you can upgrade your facilities and coaching staff and recruiting and eventually start winning like the big boys, you've got to play the big boys. Hopefully you can get the P5 bottom feeders and beat them, and the P5 big boys when they are having a down year or you've got a good team and a good matchup to beat them. But do we really think we're selling out the stadium with MWC / AAC teams, with or without conference implications, and keeping that sweet ESPN deal with a steady diet of cream puffs? I don't.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

redneckjedi wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:32 pm It depends on what your goals are. If all you care about is the W/L record, yeah, schedule nobody. If you want butts in seats and eyeballs on TVs and dollars in the bank so you can upgrade your facilities and coaching staff and recruiting and eventually start winning like the big boys, you've got to play the big boys. Hopefully you can get the P5 bottom feeders and beat them, and the P5 big boys when they are having a down year or you've got a good team and a good matchup to beat them. But do we really think we're selling out the stadium with MWC / AAC teams, with or without conference implications, and keeping that sweet ESPN deal with a steady diet of cream puffs? I don't.
Not only that, but a team that schedules nobodies will eventually settle to their level.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

I think it's possible to underschedule yourself into irrelevance as well as overscheduled yourself into oblivion. The key is finding that practical, realistic happy medium for BYU.