Flake needs to never work in public office again. Not even dogcatcher.

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Flake needs to never work in public office again. Not even dogcatcher.

Post by imuakahuku »

This guy is an embarrassment. Why do so few strong people run for Republican seats in Congress? :angry:

jadesroom
Freshman

Re: Flake needs to never work in public office again. Not even dogcatcher.

Post by jadesroom »

I doubt he will be elected to another office if he runs as a Republican.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Maybe. There are some rumors out there that the GOP didn't have enough votes. But by having the "delay" senators like Murkowski (R-AK), Collins (R-ME), Manchin (D-WV), and Heitkamp (D-ND) will be on board with voting yes if nothing turns up. Manchin and Heitkamp want to vote yes for re-election purposes, but it might be necessary to keep Murkowski and Collins.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

I think Flake (fitting name by the way) is retiring so he isn't worried about political blowback. But he is coward. Backs down because a couple crazy women yell at him in an elevator. But he said he will vote for Kavenaugh after the week is up. I think the Republicans have the votes and Trump didn't make this pick just to wait around until November.

The obvious should be pointed out that those women aren't what the Democrats care about. Their guy, Bill Clinton, was accused of similar things and none of them cared. What this circus is all about is keeping things like abortion and gay marriage legal. Liberals have spent years turning the Supreme Court into a political weapon and they are terrified it could be used against them. That's why they have been fighting tooth and nail against this.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

This was the first public move in his 2020 campaign for the GOP nomination.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

I think Flake may have saved the Republican party’s mid term election prospects and keeping the Senate. Kavanaugh is still likely to be confirmed, absent some amazing thing the FBI turns up. Having taken extra time to investigate before confirming will appease some needed independent and moderate voters.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I think it was a brilliant move. When nothing turns up (assuming it won't) no legitimate reason for anyone not to confirm.

uncoug
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by uncoug »

I don't mind being a voice of dissent. As the husband of a rape survivor, I can tell you that my wife didn't tell me what happened until we were married more than a decade. She is in her mid forties and still cannot face the situation and talk about it. There are many of us who have family members, loved ones, and friends, who have been assaulted and harassed. Most never do talk about it and they definitely won't now. I would rather a job interview (this is what this whole thing is) and accusations get looked into in depth. Who would have thought that Thomas L. Monson had issues even though his dad ended up being a prophet? His issue as far as we know was simply harassment and it took a lawsuit to get dealt with.

Before you think I am being political when it comes to the American style government, I am not. I am political when it comes to bringing awareness to the plight of primary and secondary sexual assault victims and survivors. I was at a wonderful event last friday that raises money to fund support services and counseling for victims as well as training youth on how to be leaders when it comes to assault education and training young men on how they can be leaders in this respect. The organization got some flack from a local group because the keynote speaker is a strong 2nd amendment supporter and they weren't happy with it. She was amazing BTW. As I heard from a member of the organizations committee "Assault isn't blind to political affiliation, religion, job title, or education level. The blindness is usually by those who simply don't want to acknowledge it could happen to their loved ones and by those they call family or friends".

Flake gave the entire Republican establishment an out by saying to simply look into it as any CEO would do for a new CFO or an NFL GM about a player. I could care less about the political affiliation. At least Flake has the integrity to put thought into the "what if" vs being blind and simply voting party.

This is sure to not be a popular opinion but I felt I would give it since this board is often a fishbowl. To anyone on this board who was ever hurt in this manner and labels themself a "Survivor", know that you are stronger than I ever hope to be. If this is something you have carried for years for yourself or a loved one, know that there are resources available to you.

https://www.ucasa.org/resources

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I don't see the negative to facing the allegations directly. If he did it, we should know. If he didn't, this should help to validate him. Nothing wrong with taking a serious accusation seriously.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

The biggest problem is those who knew about these allegations yet sat on them for months in order to try to derail the nomination process. Those people are playing dirty politics with someone's life.