Medical Marijuana and the Church

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Medical Marijuana and the Church

Post by Jarhead »

I don’t think there is anything the church could do to really satisfy some of the individuals on Mars’s side of things. Even if they came out and took your exact stance, I would imagine their being criticized about being so “late” to the party and not having the foresight to arrive at the conclusion sooner and also not arriving at the conclusion in the right way. In the eyes of critics on some of these hot button issues, it seems to me to always be a lose lose situation.

BroncoBot
Retired

Re: The "Mormon Moment" is officially over.

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:19 am One thing I disagree with the Democrat's official statement the idea of passing knowingly flawed legislation and then fixing it once it's law has never worked out.

See: Patriot Act, Obamacare.
oh man. I think republicans can shoulder a lot of blame for the pat act.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Being in colorado and someone who regularly prescribes opioids, ive seen the good and bad of the legal marijuana debate. The next town over sells weed like it's candy. Ive had a few patients who nearly kill themselves doing stupid stuff after smoking it (getting on a bike with no brakes and not realizing it until they are going 40 mph down a ateep grade comes to mind). Also have some patients who use the hash and love it for pain. Traffic accidents have risen pretty dramatically here in CO since it was lagalized. There's no mistake that there are some negative consequences with legalization as outlined in utah prop 2. But, lets be honest, no legislation is perfect.

I get both arguments. Im overall open minded to MJ. But can certainly appreciate the churches approach to this. Mars, perhaps the reason the church is cautious about MJ is BECAUSE so many utah youth are dying due to opioids. I honestly dont think those kids are doing opioids because they are dying of cancer. MJ will be overprescribed and used recreationally just as opioids currently are among youth. Id love to see it moved to schedule ii where it COULD be legally prescribed and we could better understand it and its effectiveness.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

BroncoBot wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:02 pm
hawkwing wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:19 am One thing I disagree with the Democrat's official statement the idea of passing knowingly flawed legislation and then fixing it once it's law has never worked out.

I'd say the repubs for the Patriot Act, for sure. But the Utah dems statement they released said to the effect that we should pass the bill even though they know it's flawed and fix it later.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

hawkwing wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:59 pm

I'd say the repubs for the Patriot Act, for sure. But the Utah dems statement they released said to the effect that we should pass the bill even though they know it's flawed and fix it later.

Challenge: Name a set of laws in this country that aren't flawed. Such as taxes. Or immigration. Or voting. Let's start with something easy that we can all agree on.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Mars wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:08 am
hawkwing wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:59 pm

Challenge: Name a set of laws in this country that aren't flawed. Such as taxes. Or immigration. Or voting. Let's start with something easy that we can all agree on.
Just because nothing is perfect doesn't mean anything should go.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

And the proposition being imperfect isn't an argument against it either. Does it do more harm than good? People disagree. Just not, you know, educated people. :D

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Mars wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:09 am And the proposition being imperfect isn't an argument against it either. Does it do more harm than good? People disagree. Just not, you know, educated people. :D
I'd actually consider that no legislation is perfect to be a very good argument against enacting any legislation without a great deal of study and reflection.

But I'm looking forward to when Connor starts publishing all of the educated, science based arguments in favor of the proposition. So far I've only seem poorly written emotional calls and hearsay comments about how someone who is against it had an awkward pause when talking about it. And how Churches shouldn't be allowed to speak out on moral issues to their members.

I want to be able to vote for it. So far though they are doing an extremely poor job of giving any compelling reason to do so.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:32 pm I don't read the church's position as requiring Physicians to manage dosages. They just said physician-prescribed and they also said in dosage form.

I think physician-prescribed was to make sure that it was done under prescription, and I think the dosage form was meant to distinguish it from the recreational product to facilitate enforcement.
I wonder what the position on growing your own willow trees in your back yard is.

But let's back up a second. All I see on the church website is the memorandum from a third party outlining possible outcomes of the legislation (for all of which I just shrug my shoulders and say "that's no different from any other medication") that we are invited to read and "make our own judgement."

Where is the opposition in the first place?

NVM I found it, man the church newsroom is hard to do a good search with. I finally found the link in a tribune story.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

jvquarterback wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:08 am
snoscythe wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:32 pm I don't read the church's position as requiring Physicians to manage dosages. They just said physician-prescribed and they also said in dosage form.

I think physician-prescribed was to make sure that it was done under prescription, and I think the dosage form was meant to distinguish it from the recreational product to facilitate enforcement.
I wonder what the position on growing your own willow trees in your back yard is.