Soccer 2018

For all other sports at BYU. Discuss anything from Soccer to Rugby to Gymnastics to Chess.
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Soccer 2018

Post by BlueK »

Two games now in as BYU tied at Nebraska 2-2 last night. BYU allowed two early goals but it was encouraging that they didn't give up and scored two late in the game against a team the site below ranks #31.

https://herosports.com/rankings/college ... ens-soccer

They are now 1-0-1 with the next game Friday at #10 Texas A&M which will be a real test. I'm going there to see it with my daughter. A&M has been impressive so far. That will be followed by hosting #1 Stanford at home. After that it gets a little easier.

Also, the CS-Fullerton team BYU outlasted 1-0 in the first game was in the NCAA tournament last year and went on to clobber St. Mary's 5-1 a couple of nights after losing to us. So maybe they're a decent team.

BYU seems to have talent but it's young and they're having their struggles right now. Still, I already see signs that this team is probably going to be better than last year's.

In the WCC so far Pepperdiine already lost to a pretty marginal Kansas team. Santa Clara looks pretty good so far. It's early but I think winning the conference is still very much in reach for this team, and they're young so they will improve.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Re: Soccer 2018

Post by BlueK »

BYU had a tough one at Pepperdine, going down 2-1. However, #11 ranked Santa Clara lost there the previous week. This turns the WCC race into a dogfight with six teams still mathematically with a shot at winning the league. BYU may have a little bit of a scheduling advantage here as they have already beaten Gonzaga and Portland, and their upcoming road games are at the teams at the bottom of the standings (St. Mary's, LMU, Pacific). They get to play Santa Clara and USF at home.

This week Gonzaga and Portland play at USF and Santa Clara Friday and Sunday. Hopefully for BYU they end up all beating each other up in those four games.

Pepperdine 3-1-1
BYU 3-1
Gonzaga 3-1
Portland 3-1
Santa Clara 3-1
USF 2-1-1
St. Mary's 1-3-1
LMU 1-3-1
San Diego 1-3
Pacific 0-5

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Tomorrow's game vs. Santa Clara is for the conference championship.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Big game. SC is #6 Our RPI is #73. We need this win to make the tournament. It is at home after the football game.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

We won 2-0. And the conference.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Congratulations to the team for winning this huge game. The rpi should improve significantly after the wins over USF and SCU. SCU's high ranking that they've carried all season was earned by their performance in non-conference games like their impressive wins over N. Carolina and a few others, and the tie vs. Stanford. Stanford hasn't lost to anyone at all in over 2 years, and SCU is the only team this year that has even been able to tie them. But honestly, BYU was the most consistent and best overall team in the WCC conference schedule. Once the conference games stated, for the most part BYU was better. Both lost at Pepperdine. So while SCU is a very good team, possibly a tad overrated, BYU has caught up as the season has progressed. It won't translate into getting the same type of seeding since SCU has better non-conference wins, but I would not want to have to play against BYU right now if I had to face them in the NCAA tournament.

Common opponents:
Texas A&M:
SCU L, 4-0
BYU L, 2-0

Stanford:
SCU T, 1-1
BYU, L, 2-0

USF:
SCU, W, 3-2
BYU, W, 4-0

Pepperdine:
SCU, L, 1-0
BYU, L, 2-1

St. Mary's:
SCU, W, 4-1
BYU, W, 3-1

Portland"
SCU, W, 3-2
BYU, W, 3-0

Gonzaga:
SCU, W, 1-0
BYU, W, 3-1

San Diego:
SCU, W, 2-1 (OT)
BYU, W, 2-1

Pacific:
SCU, coming up
BYU, W, 5-1

LMU:
SCU, W, 3-2
BYU, coming up

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Rip is 44 now

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

scott715 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:27 pm Rip is 44 now
Hopefully it doesn't drop much from playing LMU which is the second worst team in the league.

Not sure it matters that much at this point because I think we're still outside of where we'd have to be to get a home game. That said, I hope they send BYU to play somewhere in Texas so I can see them in person. If that happens I hope it's rpi #20 TCU or #28 N. Texas. BYU could beat either one and they're close for me.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

We play TCU Friday night Nov 9 7pm CST

https://gofrogs.com/index.aspx?path=wsoc