BBC report on trade war cost to Americans

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BBC report on trade war cost to Americans

Post by hawkwing »

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44567636

$500 extra per year.
Rick Helfenbein, president and chief executive officer of the American Apparel & Footwear Association, says the average family of four in the US will pay at least an extra $500 a year to buy consumer products affected by the tariffs.
Fair? Misleading?

The next year will be interesting to watch as foreign retaliation tariffs start affecting American farmers and factory workers. It could lead to a rise in Trumpism, or his downfall.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BBC report on trade war cost to Americans

Post by snoscythe »

I keep seeing stories about the costs and negative impacts/externalities of the tariffs and duties.

What I would like to see is someone do the work and weigh those negatives against any positives and give us a better idea of the net.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:56 am I keep seeing stories about the costs and negative impacts/externalities of the tariffs and duties.

What I would like to see is someone do the work and weigh those negatives against any positives and give us a better idea of the net.
No offense but it seems a bit short sighted to want to base your opinion on the entire picture. Life is much much better when you use partial information to get mad as hell at things by falling for other people's agendas.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

I suppose if you’re a steel worker you’re thinking good thoughts. If you’re a nail manufacturer, not so much.....

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

snoscythe wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:56 am I keep seeing stories about the costs and negative impacts/externalities of the tariffs and duties.

That argument was won by the free traders at least since the beginning of the 20th century if not earlier.

It's already getting dicey for any company that makes things with steel and aluminum, and some are already laying people off because of the higher price of the steel.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/29/news/co ... index.html

If you want an idea about net effect of just these tariffs consider that there are countless more industries and jobs that rely on making things with steel and aluminum than there are those that produce it.

And many of the tariffs haven't been implemented yet but a host of them between the US and China go into effect at the end of this week which will mean higher prices for consumers on lots of things.

Trump is his own worst enemy on this. The economy is good right now. Stupid to mess with it.
Last edited by BlueK on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

This article makes a very strong argument against tariffs.

https://www.cato.org/publications/comme ... -misguided

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...