Yoeli Childs will test NBA waters....Bryant too?

BYU Cougars on the court.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Yoeli Childs will test NBA waters....Bryant too?

Post by Fido »

....but will not hire an agent so that he retains eligibility should he opt to return.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/03/2 ... raft-pool/
Childs has said that if he believes he will be taken before midway through the second round he will stay in the draft. Most NBA mock drafts do not have him being taken in the first two rounds.
However, Childs spoke Monday as if he’s leaning toward leaving BYU.
“I would like to thank BYU, coach [Dave] Rose and everybody there who has helped me through [two years] so much,” he said. “I am excited about this opportunity and I look forward to going through the pre-draft process.”
Childs, who is 20, is probably not the only BYU star who will put his name in the draft. Sources in Provo say rising senior guard Elijah Bryant is also leaning in that direction.
Many believe that Bryant is more likely to leave because of his age — he went to a prep school in New Hampshire for a year before enrolling at Elon University, and sat out a year after transferring to BYU. Bryant has also dealt with knee soreness and might want to start playing for money while he is still reasonably healthy.
Childs is listed at 6-foot-8, but some scouts have privately wondered if he is really that tall.
“Worst-case scenario, you go through the process and get better, then come back and help your team,” Childs told the Tribune on March 12. “But if a team really likes me, who knows?”

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Yoeli Childs will test NBA waters....Bryant too?

Post by Gunk »

He isn't draft material...not yet. Good experience for him, though, and he'll get his name out.

Bryant could play overseas. Too many guys his size with his ability or better for the NBA.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Neither will ever make the NBA. I think on a personal level it makes sense for Bryant to ho and make whatever money he can in Europe while his body still holds up. I can't imagine Yoeli getting enough interest in Europe to make it worth leaving and he should return for another year, but those quotes do sound like he feels he's done at BYU so who knows.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Testing the waters makes sense. Just don't be as dumb as Plaisted or Mika and pull the trigger far too early.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

Fido wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:50 pmChilds has said that if he believes he will be taken before midway through the second round he will stay in the draft.
I don't think any sane basketball fan thinks he has a snowball's chance of getting drafted, so maybe I shouldn't be worried. It's just with the way the last couple basketball/football seasons have gone, I'm beginning to just assume the worst. I have a sinking feeling that Childs and Bryant will both be gone next season (neither of which will be in the NBA).

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Childs needs to work on jump shots and replace his fade away move with another move before getting drafted.

tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

scott715 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:04 am Childs needs to work on jump shots and replace his fade away move with another move before getting drafted.
Yeah, that fade away needs to go.

He's plenty athletic enough to dominate in college, but when looking at the NBA, I see a guy that's too small for play a 4-5 and too slow to play anything else.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

It's interesting that thus far, over the last decade, those former BYU players that played their senior years (Fredette & Collinsworth) have done much better professionally (you could even throw in Davies).

Mika giving up so early and not making the NBA is still stuck in my craw a bit. At the same time for him to be playing in a league in Europe in a country where he served his mission, well, that makes it a little more understandable and you can make a descent living playing in international sports. It's not NBA money, but it's not living in squalor.

I think Yoeli needs to come back. One more year. I'd be totally shocked if he makes it to the NBA. Elijah, with his past related to injuries, I can see him making the decision to go play "somewhere" professionally, but would love to actually see him back for one more year.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Here's the issue that has bothered me over the last few years. Most of those individuals who go "pro" early and leave college basketball leave their marks on some really great teams. We haven't see that from those players we've seen leave early from BYU. Leave a legacy, then men, you're fee to go and pursue your dreams, but not the one & done NIT scenarios of the last two years.

I don't know how well a team of Mika, Childs, Bryant, Haws and Emery would have made for this season. Maybe they wouldn't have been able to "jell", but I sure as heck would have loved to see them try.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I think Yoeli is a better pro prospect than Mika was.

Bryant is not an NBA prospect, but that's not going to change with one more season at BYU and he's not making any money at BYU, and he can make decent money in any number of pro-leagues.