polygamy

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

polygamy

Post by nuk13 »

I had a woman come up to me and asked if I was a Mormon. I told her I was a Latter Day Saint. I don't clearly remember the rest but I'll try. You still practice polygamy. (It wasn't a question.) No that was stopped in the 1800s. A lady chimed in backing me. We told her there were groups that still did it but not us. Telling the truth to her was like pouring water on a duck's back. This woman ended by telling me to say hello to my wives.

It has been years since I've heard this accusation and it came as a surprise. While it wasn't too bad, I'd say persecution is alive and well.

This question comes to me: Why would women want the Priesthood if we still practice polygamy? I know it's 2 different groups but it still seems Ironic to me.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: polygamy

Post by ABYUFAN »

I would've responded - "OK I'll tell them 'some crazy, funny-looking psycho who has comprehension problems said to say Hi"

but that's just me...

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

If the world is going to be ok and accepting of gays and lesbians and thus destroying the whole marriage between a man and a woman then it should also be accepting of polygamy.

While I would have zero intent on practicing it I would also have zero problems if polygamy was brought back (if implemented and run "correctly" which is a conversation in of itself).

And my response would have been: "Having one boss at home is enough for me so having three or four or five bosses at home isn't appealing!"

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Polygamy being illegal in Utah seems silly.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Growing up outside of Utah, I would occasionally be asked by kids at school if, since I was Mormon, I had two moms. I usually responded with, "No. I only have one mother. My dad does have three wives. But I only have one mom."

That was usually followed by a, "Really?!" To which I would say, "No, that ended a long time ago in my church."

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

nuk13 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:01 am I had a woman come up to me and asked if I was a Mormon. I told her I was a Latter Day Saint. I don't clearly remember the rest but I'll try. You still practice polygamy. (It wasn't a question.)
You politely but firmly reply that she is confusing Mormons and Muslims. (Mormons (LDS) stopped practicing polygamy in 1890 (Pres. Wilford Woodruff issues a Manifesto that stopped the practice of polygamy).

Whereas Muslims still practice polygamy, even in America. It's done quietly. Some estimates place the number of Muslim polygamous families in the U.S. at 100,000. Although some Islamic countries have outlawed polygamy (Turkey, Egypt, Iran, Kuwait, Lebanon, etc.). It's common for it to be practiced illegally in those countries.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

nuk13 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:01 am I had a woman come up to me and asked if I was a Mormon. I told her I was a Latter Day Saint. I don't clearly remember the rest but I'll try. You still practice polygamy. (It wasn't a question.) No that was stopped in the 1800s. A lady chimed in backing me. We told her there were groups that still did it but not us. Telling the truth to her was like pouring water on a duck's back. This woman ended by telling me to say hello to my wives.

It has been years since I've heard this accusation and it came as a surprise. While it wasn't too bad, I'd say persecution is alive and well.

This question comes to me: Why would women want the Priesthood if we still practice polygamy? I know it's 2 different groups but it still seems Ironic to me.
How odd. She's probably thinking of those off-shoot fundamentalists down on the Utah Arizona border? Oh well. Some people will believe what they want to believe regardless.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

It's more widespread in Utah than most are willing to admit. There are good numbers of them in west Salt Lake valley, south Utah County/ north Juab County, and elsewhere. Still not active LDS (polygamy is a fast track to excommunication), but to your average American the term "Mormon" applies to anyone who follows Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon, which would include the polygamous offshoots.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:44 pm It's more widespread in Utah than most are willing to admit. There are good numbers of them in west Salt Lake valley, south Utah County/ north Juab County, and elsewhere. Still not active LDS (polygamy is a fast track to excommunication), but to your average American the term "Mormon" applies to anyone who follows Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon, which would include the polygamous offshoots.
Yup. Got this all the time when someone found out I was a "Mormon" when living in Houston as well as Philadelphia. They lump us with the good and the bad.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BroncoBot wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:41 am
snoscythe wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:44 pm It's more widespread in Utah than most are willing to admit. There are good numbers of them in west Salt Lake valley, south Utah County/ north Juab County, and elsewhere. Still not active LDS (polygamy is a fast track to excommunication), but to your average American the term "Mormon" applies to anyone who follows Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon, which would include the polygamous offshoots.
Yup. Got this all the time when someone found out I was a "Mormon" when living in Houston as well as Philadelphia. They lump us with the good and the bad.
To be honest, most LDS tacitly refer to the polygamists as Mormons as well. They call them 'radical', 'fundamentalist' etc.

But a radical what? A fundamentalist what? Both are just shorthand for radical Mormon or fundamentalist Mormon, the same as radical Muslim and fundamentalist Baptist.