Smart gun laws

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: There are no smart gun laws

Post by imuakahuku »

ABYUFAN wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:56 pm
jvquarterback wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:22 pm
ABYUFAN wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:04 pm
jvquarterback wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:58 pm
Absolutely. I'll wait for you or Mars to give me one example of a good that the government yielded to private markets that has decreased in volume produced. Airplanes, telephones, you name it, when the government gets out of any business, options improve tremendously. And somehow even the poorest of the poor in Africa can afford their $30 smartphones.
do you mean like hospitals, railroads and the US Mail?
Write me back when the government leaves those to private businesses. Even with government subsidies, surgery centers charge significantly less for better care than hospitals, private railroads still thrive, and believe it or not there is a lot more communication these days facilitated by private email servers at google than were sent in the history of the US Mail at a fraction of the price.
Surgery centers provide significantly less services than hospitals. Surgery centers clearly as you say "decreased in volume produced".

You say that private railroads "thrive." If by "thrive" you mean we have no non-government commuter rail travel (outside of the Disneyland Railroad) and that we have fewer actual rail companies than we did 50 years ago we may agree on that point. However, your original statement was that government getting out of a business increases "options improve tremendously" In the rail business that is simply not true.

And google was not able to deliver a package for me to my son on his mission. But it was awfully nice of me to take a picture of my Christmas gift that I bought him and then email that picture to him of his gift. I also had him sign his driver's license renewal and then googled it over to the DMV for him. There are other options for parcel and letter delivery all of which cost more and were no more efficient.
To be honest, rail, hospitals, and mail are pretty bad examples. Government rail is among the worst run, maintained, and most expensive travel in the US when it is touted as the most economic. And it also has the absolute worst safety record and on time record. VA hospitals, I take this personally- my father died a few years ago due to being put on the "victims" list. By the time his doctor got his treatment approved (over a year after his diagnosis), it wasn't able to save him. Had he received it when it was just a small spot when it was diagnosed, he would have been a cancer survivor. Government healthcare and hospitals always morph from what's best for the health of the patient to what is best for the health of the system. As for US mail, two words FEDEX and UPS. US mail runs millions or billions in the red every year and have the worst reputation in mail delivery in the US. I have never seen any company I have worked for send anything more than maybe post card adds and CC statements via US mail. Everything else of any importance is sent either Fedex or UPS never US mail. And if either of these companies ran them using the US Mail model they would have gone out of business years ago.
The best example of a government run program is probably the military. It is very inefficient and has a whole lot of problems but it can do one thing that is vital to the military that privatization cannot do and that is take people from all walks of life from different geographical areas and form them into one unit representing the whole country fighting under one flag.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: There are no smart gun laws

Post by BroncoBot »

ABYUFAN wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:56 pm
jvquarterback wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:22 pm
ABYUFAN wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:04 pm
jvquarterback wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:58 pm
Absolutely. I'll wait for you or Mars to give me one example of a good that the government yielded to private markets that has decreased in volume produced. Airplanes, telephones, you name it, when the government gets out of any business, options improve tremendously. And somehow even the poorest of the poor in Africa can afford their $30 smartphones.
do you mean like hospitals, railroads and the US Mail?
Write me back when the government leaves those to private businesses. Even with government subsidies, surgery centers charge significantly less for better care than hospitals, private railroads still thrive, and believe it or not there is a lot more communication these days facilitated by private email servers at google than were sent in the history of the US Mail at a fraction of the price.
Surgery centers provide significantly less services than hospitals. Surgery centers clearly as you say "decreased in volume produced".

You say that private railroads "thrive." If by "thrive" you mean we have no non-government commuter rail travel (outside of the Disneyland Railroad) and that we have fewer actual rail companies than we did 50 years ago we may agree on that point. However, your original statement was that government getting out of a business increases "options improve tremendously" In the rail business that is simply not true.

And google was not able to deliver a package for me to my son on his mission. But it was awfully nice of me to take a picture of my Christmas gift that I bought him and then email that picture to him of his gift. I also had him sign his driver's license renewal and then googled it over to the DMV for him. There are other options for parcel and letter delivery all of which cost more and were no more efficient.
Just a little FYI.
If ever given the choice of a surgery center for a surgery or a hospital. Always choose the surgery center. Always.