2018 QB Preview

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2018 QB Preview

Post by Fido »

The latest Cougarboard rumors (take it only as that until we hear differently) is that redshirt freshman QB Kody Wilstead didn't practice on Friday and told the coaches last Thursday that he is going to transfer. Also, the same post reported that walk-on sophomore QB Hayden Griffitts tore his achillies a couple weeks ago so he is out of the QB race this spring.

So the list is getting narrowed:
Hoge
Critchlow
Mangum (limited)
Wilson
Conner
Romney

Also for fall:
Gunther (RM walk on)
Hall (RM)

In response to the previous post mentioning Baylor Romney, he is a returned missionary and reportedly is enrolled and participating in spring camp. He is listed on the official roster that came out for spring camp. 6' 2" 190 pound freshman walk-on.
Last edited by Fido on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Huh, I thought Wilstead was our best QB last year, I know he was beyond frustrated that the coaches wouldn't play him.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

With about 8-9 QBs on the roster, I imagine we see maybe 4 of them transfer away. If someone like Stacy Conner emerges, that number goes up.

Bias alert: I am a Stacy Conner fan. Tall, throws well, shifty in the pocket to extend plays, leadership presence,. Just needs time and reps to mature in Grimes' system.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

The speculation continues that Wilstead didn't have the mobility of some of the other candidates so it may not be the best fit for the Grimes offense.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Wilson and Critchlow are early favorites, with Hoge and especially Mangum still recovering.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Critchlow isn't a very good QB, so if he ends up a leading candidate after spring ball it's a sign to me we don't have any good options.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

So the Wilstead rumor was confirmed by Sitake, and Jay Drew also confirmed the Hayden Griffitts story:
Fido wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:35 pm The latest Cougarboard rumors (take it only as that until we hear differently) is that redshirt freshman QB Kody Wilstead didn't practice on Friday and told the coaches last Thursday that he is going to transfer. Also, the same post reported that walk-on sophomore QB Hayden Griffitts tore his achillies a couple weeks ago so he is out of the QB race this spring.

So the list is getting narrowed:
Hoge
Critchlow
Mangum (limited)
Wilson
Conner
Romney

Also for fall:
Gunther (RM walk on)
Hall (RM)

In response to the previous post mentioning Baylor Romney, he is a returned missionary and reportedly is enrolled and participating in spring camp. He is listed on the official roster that came out for spring camp. 6' 2" 190 pound freshman walk-on.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

QB competition getting serious:

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... -pads.html

...In Thursday’s first day in full pads that featured live hits, Kalani Sitake took BYU football spring drills to a whole new level with full contact. Nobody but the kickers were spared.

Needless to say, this led to several scuffles and fights, an emotional component of any worthwhile football practice with no game in sight as players try to mark their territory and show their wares for new coaches.The offensive line set the tone with physicality and emotion in a quick-paced attack, and the rest of the offense followed.

...The team went through one-on-one tackling drills and Roderick had his quarterbacks do it too. It’s a drill where two guys go at it like sumo wrestlers trying to take the other down to the ground. It exposes both combatants to hits, pulls, swipes, punches and it drives the team crazy rooting for one or the other.

Beau Hoge clearly was BYU’s king of the hill in the QB duel. Physically, he is extremely strong and athletically he is unique. He is also the fastest.

“I wanted to see how they could handle hits, handling physical play,” said Roderick.

It was especially important in the case of Hoge, who was concussed a year ago and after going down against Utah State in Logan, he never made it back.

“It’s a risk, I know,” said Roderick. “But if I’m going to invest time in a quarterback, I need to know how he reacts right now to physical play.”

He explained very clearly to Hoge that this was something he needed to go through right now.

Roderick gave his quarterbacks about a dozen plays each on Thursday during the team session and skeleton drills, allowing full contact from defenders. And each of them took at least two hits.

As for evaluating the allowable viewing portion of the practice, the offense clearly won the day. The offensive line set the tone with physicality and emotion in a quick-paced attack, and the rest of the offense followed.

The offense ran a series of plays over and over with precision execution and it put the defense on its heels.

“That’s the way it’s supposed to be. The offensive line sets the mood and the rest follow,” said tight end coach Steve Clark. “That’s the way Jeff Grimes wants it to be.”

Grimes praised Roderick for how he’s developing and teaching the quarterbacks. “Aaron is doing a great job with his guys and I’ve been impressed.”