Highlight of my concern about the offense

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
blue42
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Highlight of my concern about the offense

Post by blue42 »

My concern is when the offense is doing something they are having success with, they then stop doing it. For example both in the Utah and Wisconsin games, they were have good success with the no huddle, but during the Wisconsin game when BYU got into the blue zone they stopped the no huddle and went to the huddled which killed the momentum they had.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Brayden Green wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:18 am Even that "bad FCS team", who came within a field goal of Oregon State (Pac-12!!! Yeah baby!) was pretty good. They would probably be in the middle of the MWC.
Oregon State would probably be in the middle to bottom of the MWC. They been blown out by Colorado State, Minnesota, and Washington State. Portland State is their only victory.

After losing close to BYU and Oregon State, Portland State went on to lose to mighty UC Davis 37-14.

There is still a lot of football to be played, but so far I have seen little to give me hope for this season on offense. Hopefully BYU pulls it together this week.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Brayden Green wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:21 am We don't have the right horses. Our offensive lineman can't run block, and are getting beat play after play on straight four man rushes.

You can't run a pro offense if you can't run. You completely maim the playaction if defenses don't respect your running ability and play a man with zone on top.
Kalani has had 2 recruiting classes at BYU. He has been touted as a recruiting guru. Why then are the players on the team getting worse, instead of better? And does he not recruit linemen?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Mars wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:18 pm
Brayden Green wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:21 am We don't have the right horses. Our offensive lineman can't run block, and are getting beat play after play on straight four man rushes.

You can't run a pro offense if you can't run. You completely maim the playaction if defenses don't respect your running ability and play a man with zone on top.
Kalani has had 2 recruiting classes at BYU. He has been touted as a recruiting guru. Why then are the players on the team getting worse, instead of better? And does he not recruit linemen?
I wanna say I agree, but has he really had 2 full recruiting classes? For the first one wasn't he a brand new coach and those were recruits already offered by Bronco?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Depends on your definition. Bronco left before the bowl game, so Kalani had about 2 months before the kids signed with him.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

byufan4ever wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:47 pm

I wanna say I agree, but has he really had 2 full recruiting classes? For the first one wasn't he a brand new coach and those were recruits already offered by Bronco?
By all traditional counting he's had 2 full recruiting classes. He had more time than most new head coaches get for their first recruiting class. Now, being at BYU, with the mission thing, that means his first recruits should start coming home right before next season.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

He has had one, unless you count the time he got made a head coach late, and stepped in a few weeks before players signed their NLI's, and most had already committed well up to that point.

I don't.

He does recruit lineman. The Freshman he recruited are either on missions, or on the two deep.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Mars wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:57 pm Depends on your definition. Bronco left before the bowl game, so Kalani had about 2 months before the kids signed with him.
So you are counting the time that he wasn't even at BYU as time that he should have been recruiting?

Makes sense.

----------------

For those keeping score, Kalani was hired December 19, which is 46 days before NLI signing day (February 3rd, 2016).

46 days (less if you include holidays and quiet and dead periods) to try and get a full roster of recruits especially tailored to your new offense, which requires completely different personnel?

Also considering that most of these guys have verballed to a team for months now, and that you have almost zero game time to go and watch them play. How much football is played in January in Utah? (The answer is none).

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Kalani was already a college football coach, and he was already out recruiting, so it's not like he was at home on the couch the 10 months prior. He already had targets and relationships, he just had to convince them to swap along with him to Provo. So I'll count it, especially since transfers can come long after signing day, but I understand those who might not.