BYU - Utah Game Thread

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU - Utah Game Thread

Post by TheDean »

frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:38 am
a1247 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:36 am Hifo for might have had the worst game I've ever seen. Dropped balls and because of his stupidity he cost them a touchdown. Cahoon needs to go tomorrow and Aaron Rodrick needs to replace him. Even if it's just on the interm tag.

Detmer needs to go to a hurry up shot gun offense. The pro set isn't working and the offense plays better when they are playing fast tempo.
I agree, BYU needs to increase the Tempo. They don't even need to go full no huddle, just speed it up and don't let the defense set up. Cahoon was a major mistake at receivers coach. He was fired the first time for incompetence and we brought him back. Empey was also the Oline coach with Crowton and that Oline was horrible before they fired him and hired Jeff Grimes. Why do we retread failed coaches?
That is a very good question at the end of your post. Aaron Rodrick is an unproven question mark it would make more sense to hire Chad Lewis who has experience and has proven him self in the NFL as a 6 time all pro.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:43 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:34 am
TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:31 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:10 am
Matty-B wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:06 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:00 am

I disagree. While he was most certainly not perfect, there were missed plays by the receivers all game long. QB's only throw to guys they trust. He was trying to force things to guys he could trust. If BYU had a group of prototype physical BYU receivers from the 80's or 90's we would have had a better chance in this game. If BYU had the Oline from 96, 01 or 06, along with said receivers from the 80's and 90's we would have blown this team out.
So what... our recruiting is the reason we suck? Tanner still would have missed those receivers on a few throws. We do SUCK BTW.
BYU always does this... always seem to be just good enough to string us along with hope. Its miserable

I never said recruiting was the problem. Our receivers have the talent. They are just soft and are not running the correct routes. They drop too many catchable balls. This is a coaching issue. Just like with the offensive line. The last time we had a competent offensive line was when Jeff Grimes was the coach. We had the receivers coach that we needed but Holladay was not retained. This is all on the coaches. Tanner isn't making the best decisions on every throw but as long as our receivers are playing like marshmallows, our offense is going to look soft and impotent.
No the last time BYU had a decent O-line coach was during Lavells last season. I agree the receivers have talent they just lack the mental toughness the need to run precise routs and catch clutch balls when they are needed. This indeed a coaching problem just like the O-line lacking the toughness they need to hit somebody and drive them back 3 yards to open running lanes and to knock defenders back that are rushing the QB. This too is a coaching issue.
In 06 with Jeff Grimes, John Beck stood behind a brick wall of an Offensive line against TCU's rush with 2 badly sprained ankles and threw darts all over the field. He left after the 07 season and the Oline got worse every year since.
Really as I recall Beck was still be chased most of the time in 06 as the o-line was the worst it had ever been thanks to coach Reynolds and has never really improved and if he was so good then why wasn't he kept as O-line coach after the season was over. In Lavell's last year BYU had 3 outland trophy winners on the o-line, who played the next year under Reynolds in Crowtons first season as HC and the O-line steadily went down hill as the season went on and has never been the same since and BYU has made 5 or 6 changes in O-line coaches since Lavell left.
Reynolds wasn't the oline coach in 06, he was the RB's coach. Jeff Grimes was hired in 04 to be the Oline coach and stayed until 07. BYU beat TCU in 06 and 07. John Beck had to badly sprained ankles against TCU and could barely walk but still was able to stand behind his Oline and pick the TCU defense apart. Grimes left after the 07 season and in 08 TCU pummeled Max Hall. BYU's offensive line was still decent in 08 and 08 but in 10 they got worse and it just kept going from there. I agree that Roger French was probably BYU's best Oline coach of all time but Grimes was a very good one. He is, incidentally, LSU's offensive line coach and their line is pretty good as we saw last week.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:48 am
a1247 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:36 am Hifo for might have had the worst game I've ever seen. Dropped balls and because of his stupidity he cost them a touchdown. Cahoon needs to go tomorrow and Aaron Rodrick needs to replace him. Even if it's just on the interm tag.

Detmer needs to go to a hurry up shot gun offense. The pro set isn't working and the offense plays better when they are playing fast tempo.
I agree, BYU needs to increase the Tempo. They don't even need to go full no huddle, just speed it up and don't let the defense set up. Cahoon was a major mistake at receivers coach. He was fired the first time for incompetence and we brought him back. Empey was also the Oline coach with Crowton and that Oline was horrible before they fired him and hired Jeff Grimes. Why do we retread failed coaches?
That is a very good question at the end of your post. Aaron Rodrick is an unproven question mark it would make more sense to hire Chad Lewis who has experience and has proven him self in the NFL as a 6 time all pro.
While it makes me throw up in my mouth a bit to suggest Roderick because he was a ute coach for so long, he has way more experience coaching than Chad lewis. Lewis was an all pro TE in the NFL but he has never coached anyone at any level. Roderick is a former BYU receiver who coached the utes receivers for many many years.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

They retread because they think they need a feel good story and hire former players despite their lack of experience. I've said it before I will say it again. Hire coaches with proven experience. Most hire coaches on merit and proven success not because they want to give the fans and boosters a warm fuzzy feel good story.

Could it also be coaches not from byu don't want to come here and deal with the honor code? And I'm sure it doesnt help that they themselves have to abide bye the ridiculous rules of the honor code and if your not Mormon it would feel like purgatory.

TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:51 am

While it makes me throw up in my mouth a bit to suggest Roderick because he was a ute coach for so long, he has way more experience coaching than Chad lewis. Lewis was an all pro TE in the NFL but he has never coached anyone at any level. Roderick is a former BYU receiver who coached the utes receivers for many many years.
Having Cahoon coach both the TEs and WRs is just too much for him. The TEs need a separate coach from the WRs. Rodrick may have coach WRs but he has never coached TEs and this is where Chad Lewis would be the better choice as an all pro TE he worked both as WR and a blocker on the o-line as such the WR and TEs blocking ability would improve as well as their ability to catch the football. Besides how can we know how well he can do as a coach if he is never given the chance??

TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:49 am
Matty-B wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:06 am

So what... our recruiting is the reason we suck? Tanner still would have missed those receivers on a few throws. We do SUCK BTW.
BYU always does this... always seem to be just good enough to string us along with hope. Its miserable

I never said recruiting was the problem. Our receivers have the talent. They are just soft and are not running the correct routes. They drop too many catchable balls. This is a coaching issue. Just like with the offensive line. The last time we had a competent offensive line was when Jeff Grimes was the coach. We had the receivers coach that we needed but Holladay was not retained. This is all on the coaches. Tanner isn't making the best decisions on every throw but as long as our receivers are playing like marshmallows, our offense is going to look soft and impotent.
No the last time BYU had a decent O-line coach was during Lavells last season. I agree the receivers have talent they just lack the mental toughness the need to run precise routs and catch clutch balls when they are needed. This indeed a coaching problem just like the O-line lacking the toughness they need to hit somebody and drive them back 3 yards to open running lanes and to knock defenders back that are rushing the QB. This too is a coaching issue.
In 06 with Jeff Grimes, John Beck stood behind a brick wall of an Offensive line against TCU's rush with 2 badly sprained ankles and threw darts all over the field. He left after the 07 season and the Oline got worse every year since.
Really as I recall Beck was still be chased most of the time in 06 as the o-line was the worst it had ever been thanks to coach Reynolds and has never really improved and if he was so good then why wasn't he kept as O-line coach after the season was over. In Lavell's last year BYU had 3 outland trophy winners on the o-line, who played the next year under Reynolds in Crowtons first season as HC and the O-line steadily went down hill as the season went on and has never been the same since and BYU has made 5 or 6 changes in O-line coaches since Lavell left.
Reynolds wasn't the oline coach in 06, he was the RB's coach. Jeff Grimes was hired in 04 to be the Oline coach and stayed until 07. BYU beat TCU in 06 and 07. John Beck had to badly sprained ankles against TCU and could barely walk but still was able to stand behind his Oline and pick the TCU defense apart. Grimes left after the 07 season and in 08 TCU pummeled Max Hall. BYU's offensive line was still decent in 08 and 08 but in 10 they got worse and it just kept going from there. I agree that Roger French was probably BYU's best Oline coach of all time but Grimes was a very good one. He is, incidentally, LSU's offensive line coach and their line is pretty good as we saw last week.
I agree that LSU's O-line was pretty good but if Grimes was so good why did BYU let him go after 2 seasons??? Reynolds was the O-line coach from the time Lavell left until Bronco took over and as 06 was under Bronco so your are right there. Roger French was the Co-OC and not the O-lime coach. I believe Ramage was the O-line coach under Lavell, but who ever it was had several Outland trophy winners over Lavells time as HC.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:01 am

Having Cahoon coach both the TEs and WRs is just too much for him. The TEs need a separate coach from the WRs. Rodrick may have coach WRs but he has never coached TEs and this is where Chad Lewis would be the better choice as an all pro TE he worked both as WR and a blocker on the o-line as such the WR and TEs blocking ability would improve as well as their ability to catch the football. Besides how can we know how well he can do as a coach if he is never given the chance??
K, so you need to do some research before you post. You have been wrong about your facts on practically every post you have made tonight. This is the latest example. Cahoon is not BYU's TE's coach, he is the WR coach. Steve Clark is coaching the TE's. IMO the TE's are not the problem this year. Bushman looks really good and is making tough catches.

UCChris
BLUEshirt

Post by UCChris »

Well, that was an interesting game. Went better than I expected. Here are my thoughts:

1) The O-line is my #1 complaint. Tanner was running for his life as often as not.

2) The WR are apathetic at best.

For those of you who are calling for coaches heads, I would tend to agree. We've seen the same issues two years in a row and that's with two different QB's and two different receiving corps. That shows me that it's a system issue, not a personnel issue.

The issue with that is, nobody wants to come coach for BYU. BYU pays dog crap compared to the P5 teams (which is what BYU seems to be trying to be) and nobody wants to deal with the Honor Code. The Honor Code is archaic and makes BYU look like a bunch of Pharisees. Get rid of the damn thing.

Also, recruiting will never be good until BYU has P5 prestige. It's already a pain because of the Honor Code, let alone our reputation (well deserved) as a "meh" team. Until BYU joins a conference that matters, recruiting will be harder than necessary.

So, there you have it. As BYU fans, we are a slave to the system as it is set up. Recruiting will always be difficult, coaches will always be second tier, and the Honor Code will bite us about once a season.

So, as a BYU fan, we have to resign ourselves to getting over-hyped every year, pull out another 8-9 win season, and do it all over next year. If you want to cheer for a team that has a chance of actually doing something, might I suggest almost any P5 team?

Oh, and one other thing. $100 a ticket?! The fetch? You can't charge P5 ticket prices when you have a FCS level team. It's ethically wrong.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:08 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:49 am

I agree that LSU's O-line was pretty good but if Grimes was so good why did BYU let him go after 2 seasons??? Reynolds was the O-line coach from the time Lavell left until Bronco took over and as 06 was under Bronco so your are right there. Roger French was the Co-OC and not the O-lime coach. I believe Ramage was the O-line coach under Lavell, but who ever it was had several Outland trophy winners over Lavells time as HC.
Wrong all the way around. Reynolds was the Oline coach in 00 but was moved to the RB coach in 04 when Grimes has hired. Grimes was not "let go" he left to become the assistant head coach and Oline coach for a different university (a promotion). Roger French was the Oline coach, he was also co Ocoordinator with Norm Chow dude. You seriously have no clue what you are talking about. Please stop posting stuff you know nothing about.

TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:19 am
TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:01 am

K, so you need to do some research before you post. You have been wrong about your facts on practically every post you have made tonight. This is the latest example. Cahoon is not BYU's TE's coach, he is the WR coach. Steve Clark is coaching the TE's. IMO the TE's are not the problem this year. Bushman looks really good and is making tough catches.
Not so, as Cahoon is listed as the WR and TE coach on the coaching roster. Steve Clark is an assistant position coach that works with offense, but Cahoon is the listed WRs and TEs coach. TEs still haven't really shown anything except for a couple of catches per game and haven't become an integral part of the offense despite TY saying they would, but are doing better than the WRs.