The offense is a major disappointment

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The offense is a major disappointment

Post by frdbtr »

UCChris wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:13 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:21 pm So the offensive line and receivers are no better than last year and we don't have Jamaal Williams and Tayson Hill to bail us out. This is not an offense that can beat LSU, utah, and Wisconsin.
Well, yeah... But this isn't the offense we're going to see against LSU, Utah, and Wisconsin. You honestly think BYU is going to cycle running backs 18 times in the LSU game?

Receivers are no better? How many dropped balls were there? How many impressive catches?

O-line seemed to be making holes and providing adequate protection.
Detmer said all week that BYU was "going to run its stuff" he said they were not going to be holding anything back. Well, if that is true, then we are screwed. Either BYU didn't think that Portland State would be able to press our receivers and didn't game plan for it or something is horribly wrong because they never switched to an offense that was designed to beat the press. As far as impressive catches; Bushman had one, Shumway had one but other than that, I thought our receivers got absolutely worked by the FCS db's. If BYU didn't hold back the offense this week, we are in serious trouble this year, we may not have a winning record. For those of you who think the utes defense sucks, you are delusional. The utes will have one of the best, if not the best defensive line we will see this year and they always have db's who press and harass our receivers. Today's byu team gets blown out by the utes. I hope that something changes in the next couple of weeks.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

Mars wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:59 pm WRs still got killed by pressing DBs at the line of scrimmage.

Someone please explain to me why this is. What is it that Cahoon is failing to teach them and if it doesn't change and change fast how long does KS stick with Cahoon?

This win felt like a lose in almost every way but the loss column. :~(

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Frankly guys, I am not ready to blame this on cahoon for this particular game. BYU's offensive game plan was not developed to beat a press, I don't think they believed Portland State could do it on them. There were no crossing pattern routes. This one is on the offensive game plan IMO. I hope Detmer was holding something back because there is no way in hell that this offense would beat any of the more talented defenses that we are going to face this year.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

Did you notice that we didn't run a stunt or blitz, the entire game? (Against a Freshman FCS quarterback).

Our offense was the same. We threw a few things in early, then once we had a lead we went straight vanilla. We shut things down in the second half almost entirely.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Brayden Green wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:54 pm Did you notice that we didn't run a stunt or blitz, the entire game? (Against a Freshman FCS quarterback).

Our offense was the same. We threw a few things in early, then once we had a lead we went straight vanilla. We shut things down in the second half almost entirely.
I hope so. You could even hear the disappointment in Trevor Matich's voice over the crap offense BYU played this week. He even said that LSU would be looking forward to the game next week after watching this debacle. There is no way BYU should have had so many 3 and outs on that team, even running their vanilla offense.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

I think fans are being extra cautious and want to give Detmer the benefit of the doubt (myself included). However, if the offense doesn't improve this season, the honeymoon will be over. I'm still holding out hope, but I remember watching one game last year, where the commentator was making pre snap reads on our offense and basically correctly predicting what would happen almost 100% of the time. Not a good sign.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

Jarhead wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:31 pm I think fans are being extra cautious and want to give Detmer the benefit of the doubt (myself included). However, if the offense doesn't improve this season, the honeymoon will be over. I'm still holding out hope, but I remember watching one game last year, where the commentator was making pre snap reads on our offense and basically correctly predicting what would happen almost 100% of the time. Not a good sign.
Maybe hiring an entire coaching staff of legendary former players instead of experienced proven D1 coach's might not have been the best idea.

Alabama has a ton of legendary former players and there coaching staff isn't full of them. Instead they hire tried and true coaches with a wealth of knowledge and experience coaching D1 football.

I want Detmer to succeed but the product he's put out on the field last year and then again today isn't good enough.

The best coaches in the game adapt. Is Detmer willing and able to adapt and come up with an offense and scheme that is better then what we all had to sit through today.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Brayden Green wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:54 pm Did you notice that we didn't run a stunt or blitz, the entire game? (Against a Freshman FCS quarterback).

What you're saying is not reassuring. BYU should put at least 35 against a FCS school WHILE executing a vanilla offense or defense. There was poor tackling, poor execution on offense it looked like a turkey bowl scrimmage out there.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:59 pm Fonua at RB and Bushman at TE were highlights. Tanner can throw the dang ball still, but needs more time and open receivers. LSU, Wisconsin, Utah, Boise State, and Mississippi State are not good match-ups for our offense.
Agree with all of this. Excited to see more Fonua.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

a1247 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:02 pm
Jarhead wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:31 pm I think fans are being extra cautious and want to give Detmer the benefit of the doubt (myself included). However, if the offense doesn't improve this season, the honeymoon will be over. I'm still holding out hope, but I remember watching one game last year, where the commentator was making pre snap reads on our offense and basically correctly predicting what would happen almost 100% of the time. Not a good sign.
Maybe hiring an entire coaching staff of legendary former players instead of experienced proven D1 coach's might not have been the best idea.

Alabama has a ton of legendary former players and there coaching staff isn't full of them. Instead they hire tried and true coaches with a wealth of knowledge and experience coaching D1 football.

I want Detmer to succeed but the product he's put out on the field last year and then again today isn't good enough.

The best coaches in the game adapt. Is Detmer willing and able to adapt and come up with an offense and scheme that is better then what we all had to sit through today.
Agree. I can't help but think that Bronco and Anae would have won by more points with this same roster. He didn't like to run up the score, but he would have tried to score at least twice as many points.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins