Utah Game 2016

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Utah Game 2016

Post by scott715 »

Week 2. We are so far undefeated. Win this one and the hype will begin. Here is one Utah preview. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/c ... story.html 5:30 MST on Fox

KingCoug
All-American

Re: Utah Game 2016

Post by KingCoug »

Utah currently a 3 1/2 point favorite

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Over the last seven games the average line has been BYU -0.6. The average margin of victory has been Utah by 11.9 points.

BYU has only covered once in the last seven matchups vs Utah - in 2010 when they lost by 1 but the line was Utah -10.5.

In the last seven matchups, Utah has been favored three times and won all three. BYU was favored in the other four matchups and won one of them and failed to cover in all of them.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Basically, we suck when we play Utah. Here's to bucking the trend.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Basically, over the past ten years Utah has owned us. It's time to be disowned!

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BoiseBYU wrote:Basically, over the past ten years Utah has owned us. It's time to be disowned!
More like the last 23 years.

Since Ty Detmer last played for BYU in 1991, there have been 23 games against Utah. BYU has eight wins (8-15, .348). Just TWO wins of more than 7 points (1992 and 1996) and two wins of 7 points (2000 and 2007). BYU's average margin of victory has been 6.6 points.

Utah has four wins of more than 7 points (1995, 2004, 2008 and 2011). It has four other wins by 7 points (2002, 2005, 2013, 2015).

As you probably know, I'm a big believer in a quarterback's passing efficiency rating and have a standard of 135. Since Detmer last played Utah, BYU has met the standard just five times. They have been below 100 PER points in nine games.

BYU has been so abysmal against Utah that it has become comical. I just laugh at the news ways we find to play poorly.

(8.4x
..................ATT
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:Basically, over the past ten years Utah has owned us. It's time to be disowned!
More like the last 23 years.

Since Ty Detmer last played for BYU in 1991, there have been 23 games against Utah. BYU has eight wins (8-15, .348). Just TWO wins of more than 7 points (1992 and 1996) and two wins of 7 points (2000 and 2007). BYU's average margin of victory has been 6.6 points.

Utah has four wins of more than 7 points (1995, 2004, 2008 and 2011). It has four other wins by 7 points (2002, 2005, 2013, 2015).

As you probably know, I'm a big believer in a quarterback's passing efficiency rating and have a standard of 135. Since Detmer last played Utah, BYU has met the standard just five times. They have been below 100 PER points in nine games.

BYU has been so abysmal against Utah that it has become comical. I just laugh at the news ways we find to play poorly.
Very good analysis. It has been baffling. Last years debacle was an unbelievable head shaker. BYU completely fell apart in the 1st quarter and then couldn't recover. utah had no business winning that game but BYU figured out a way to give it to them. I also hope the trend breaks this year and after watching that BYU defense last night I feel we have a good chance to win this years game. I feel the offense is going to have to be a bit more aggressive to do it though. We are going to have to unleash Taysom.

TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TheDean »

Gunk wrote:Basically, we suck when we play Utah. Here's to bucking the trend.
Different coach and different attitude. :D

No we don't suck as we have dominated the games but not the score board thank to about 5-7 minutes of game time in each where BYU loses focus.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

TheDean wrote:

No we don't suck as we have dominated the games but not the score board thank to about 5-7 minutes of game time in each where BYU loses focus.
So just like the AZ game? Where BYU controlled most of that game and really should have put that game away and have not needed a last second FG to win?

Tell me again how things are different?

(8.4x
..................ATT
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

SpiffCoug wrote:
TheDean wrote:

So just like the AZ game? Where BYU controlled most of that game and really should have put that game away and have not needed a last second FG to win?

Tell me again how things are different?
It's different because in Ty we have a coach that wants to win first, and rack up points last. He knows matchups better than almost anyone in the game. Anae and Doman had no clue how to exploit matchups. Our offense still has its limitations. The online still sucks, we have a new wr crew, and we are getting used to new faces everywhere. I think we have something like 8 out of 11 new faces from last year. That is no easy task. Having said all of that, the game plan will be based entirely on exploiting matchups, which is something that we can do against the Utah defense, and something that Anae (again) didn't have the slightest ability to do. He was actually the antithesis of playing matchup football. His philosophy was to keep doing something, even if it didn't work, so that made you adjust to what he was doing instead of what you had planned to do. Ty is a different animal, altogether.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: