Tanner Mangum to redshirt?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Tanner Mangum to redshirt?

Post by Florwood »

frdbtr wrote:
snoscythe wrote:No. Go back to the best way to develop your next QB. Let him play in the 4th quarter when the outcome is certain and get game-time better for his Jr and Sr seasons. Develop your talent in game situations so the adjustment to starter is a smoother transfer.

I'm not keen on the idea of having your starting quarterback taking over after not playing in a real game for 20 months.
It wouldn't help Tanner to come in and waste eligibility in the 4th quarter of blowouts (with this schedule I don't see many of those anyway). Max Hall did fine after redshirting, and Tanner did great last year after only being in the program for fall camp after returning from a mission. Redshirt to save eligibility is the best option.
I thought Max sitting out was not a redshirt issue, but eligibility for some reason.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Florwood wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
snoscythe wrote:No. Go back to the best way to develop your next QB. Let him play in the 4th quarter when the outcome is certain and get game-time better for his Jr and Sr seasons. Develop your talent in game situations so the adjustment to starter is a smoother transfer.

I'm not keen on the idea of having your starting quarterback taking over after not playing in a real game for 20 months.
It wouldn't help Tanner to come in and waste eligibility in the 4th quarter of blowouts (with this schedule I don't see many of those anyway). Max Hall did fine after redshirting, and Tanner did great last year after only being in the program for fall camp after returning from a mission. Redshirt to save eligibility is the best option.
I thought Max sitting out was not a redshirt issue, but eligibility for some reason.
He was going to be the back up to John Beck until they found out he had to sit a year and so they redshirted him. When he started in 2007, he didn't look rusty at all, he hit the ground running.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote:
frdbtr wrote:You can have a guy suited up standing on the sideline and still redshirt him if he never plays. If Taysom gets injured he is there to play and will not redshirt. All I am saying is try to keep him on the sideline, if he has to come in because of injury so be it, if he doesn't play get him a year back. Simple as that.
What do you do if the injury happens in the last three games of the season? Do you take a full year of eligibility for just those three games, meaning you lost the opportunity to get him game-speed reps the first 9 games?
You play the guy who is going to get the wins, if that is Hoge then play him, if it is Tanner then you burn his redshirt year. Does that seem unfair? Maybe, but getting the wins is more important than the redshirt year. What would you do as coach? Would you feel bad about burning a guys redshirt year if it meant 3 wins?

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

frdbtr wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
frdbtr wrote:You can have a guy suited up standing on the sideline and still redshirt him if he never plays. If Taysom gets injured he is there to play and will not redshirt. All I am saying is try to keep him on the sideline, if he has to come in because of injury so be it, if he doesn't play get him a year back. Simple as that.
What do you do if the injury happens in the last three games of the season? Do you take a full year of eligibility for just those three games, meaning you lost the opportunity to get him game-speed reps the first 9 games?
You play the guy who is going to get the wins, if that is Hoge then play him, if it is Tanner then you burn his redshirt year. Does that seem unfair? Maybe, but getting the wins is more important than the redshirt year. What would you do as coach? Would you feel bad about burning a guys redshirt year if it meant 3 wins?
If that keeps you off the hot seat, no way. Plus, how is that fair to the seniors who are graduating, if you keep out the QB that could have helped the team win more games? No, I'd play the best players during the season. If that means they only get two or three years starting because they can't redshirt, so be it. If you want to not ride the pine, be better than the guy in front of you. Plus, I don't think whether a player redshirts or not has any significant impact on an NFL future. If a player is good enough for the pros, two or three years as a starter is plenty of time to show it.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

hypercoug wrote:It's a moot point. I hate to say it but Taysom is going to be injured by the time the season is half over. I hope not, but I'll be holding my breath on every play he is still healthy.
I think he is as injury prone as ANY QB out there. Some incredibly questionable play calling and some bad luck have hit TH, but it doesn't mean he's any more injury prone than anyone else. No one could have taken the hits he did and not had injuries. The ankle 2 years ago and the knee 3 years ago were just wrong place wrong time injuries (one was totally avoidable) and the lisfranc I'm chalking up to being a fluke. Put tanner in the same situation with the ankle (rolling out of the pocket and getting tackled/rolled up on) and he breaks his ankle too. Tanner/Williams/Algie/Squally going up the middle to get a first down and gets hit like Taysom did in the utah game, they likely could have knee damage.

Thing about Taysom, every time he is injured he gets ruled out by about half of cougar fans that it is a career ending injury. Everytime he's bounced back. I hope he gets one last shot, and if Tanner gets a redshirt out of it, great. Taysom starting with Tanner in the wings is not a problem. Same with Tanner starting. BYU has a great thing at QB this year. What I don't want to see is short yardage situations with Taysom being treated as a RB.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Tanner is not going to stick around to play 4 years. Start TH but play MH as much as you can.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Nope.

Matty-B
Junior

Post by Matty-B »

I've never been a fan if a 2 qb system.
I'd be interested to see how'd I'd react in game to a split back of Hill and Williams behind Magnum... blocking be damned.... that's intimidating.