2016 BYU Coaching Staff

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Isola
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2016 BYU Coaching Staff

Post by Isola »

snoscythe wrote: True, it worked out schematically, but Bronco went to the 3-4 to fit the personnel he could recruit, and the Cougarback guys on the roster just got moved to OLB spots. Scheme-wise, it was new and worked out, but the personnel needs/availability drove that decision.

To go to 4-3, it's not as easy to take some ILBs on the roster and convert them to DT.
My point was that Bronco was not strictly married to his scheme, and the same may be true for Sitake. In which case he wouldn't need to convert ILBs to DT. Just change his preferred scheme...like Bronco did.

Sitake preferring the 4-3 is no more a problem than Bronco preferring the 3-3-5. The question will be if he can recruit the players to run his scheme, or if he is flexible enough to run a different scheme, at least for the time being.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Isola wrote:
snoscythe wrote: True, it worked out schematically, but Bronco went to the 3-4 to fit the personnel he could recruit, and the Cougarback guys on the roster just got moved to OLB spots. Scheme-wise, it was new and worked out, but the personnel needs/availability drove that decision.

To go to 4-3, it's not as easy to take some ILBs on the roster and convert them to DT.
My point was that Bronco was not strictly married to his scheme, and the same may be true for Sitake. In which case he wouldn't need to convert ILBs to DT. Just change his preferred scheme...like Bronco did.

Sitake preferring the 4-3 is no more a problem than Bronco preferring the 3-3-5. The question will be if he can recruit the players to run his scheme, or if he is flexible enough to run a different scheme, at least for the time being.
Agreed. My only point in pointing out the change was to identify "things to watch" in 2016 and beyond. Not saying he can't do it or it won't be successful, just something that will be interesting to watch with two 4-3 guys at the helm of the D.

BYZoo
Recruit

Post by BYZoo »

snoscythe wrote:My most immediate concern is how this affects 2016--it's no secret that outside of Tuiloma and Kaufusi the DL cupboard is pretty bare depth-wise.
I thought that Logan Taele and Tomasi Laulile were returning. Both were significant contributors on the D line.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

BYZoo wrote:
snoscythe wrote:My most immediate concern is how this affects 2016--it's no secret that outside of Tuiloma and Kaufusi the DL cupboard is pretty bare depth-wise.
I thought that Logan Taele and Tomasi Laulile were returning. Both were significant contributors on the D line.
Yes, that is right. Tuiloma was a junior this year too so I hope he is back as well.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/colle ... a2c8f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

20 potential assistant coaches

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

Call me a skeptic, but Tuiaki being the DC is not what I'd call a "solid hire." Is our entire coaching staff going to be a bunch of "never befores", people who have never worked in the position they are being hired for. That really concerns me for next year.

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

SkystheLimit wrote:Call me a skeptic, but Tuiaki being the DC is not what I'd call a "solid hire." Is our entire coaching staff going to be a bunch of "never befores", people who have never worked in the position they are being hired for. That really concerns me for next year.
This will put added pressure on Sitake and the staff in general. It really would have been advantageous to have some guys with experience running practice as the position they will be taking over, let alone managing a game and all the work that goes into coaching that is outside of game day.

It can still work, obviously, but it does make it a little harder.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Looks like Detmer will jump from volunteer coach at the smallest division in Texas high school to Offensive Coordinator at BYU>

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

SpiffCoug wrote:Looks like Detmer will jump from volunteer coach at the smallest division in Texas high school to Offensive Coordinator at BYU>
I don't see how there can not be growing pains. I'm nervous about a rookie head coach, having a rookie OC and a rookie DC, but I guess that's where we were when Bronco started right?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Is this our new coach?