It's Time For A Change & The Church Needs Some Good PR

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
MesaCougFan
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

It's Time For A Change & The Church Needs Some Good PR

Post by MesaCougFan »

"The head coach has to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in good standing"

This is a self imposed bylaw. It is time for the BOT to take a step back and view the landscape of what is going on here.

I feel that if the head coach is willing to live, promote and enforce the Honor Code at BYU, and abide by the other many challenges that they will face here (like all other non-LDS players and associates), then they should be considered a candidate to run the program. If they are non-LDS, they should also be required to have an LDS "spiritual advisor" like a mission president on staff to address the spiritual needs of the players (like Notre Dame).

I think that it would do wonders for the PR of the LDS church if they hired Steve Sarkisian as the next head coach at BYU. Assuming that he is addressing his alcohol problem, could you imagine the great PR the (bigoted, intolerant, unfair) church would get if TH extended the olive branch to SS?

Sarkisian is a really good football coach who knows how to navigate BYU. He's a beloved former QB. It would be like the "Prodigal Son". Kudos to the church if they made this happen.

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: It's Time For A Change & The Church Needs Some Good PR

Post by scott715 »

And a move like that could help us get into the Big12.

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

MesaCougFan wrote:"The head coach has to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in good standing"

This is a self imposed bylaw. It is time for the BOT to take a step back and view the landscape of what is going on here.

I feel that if the head coach is willing to live, promote and enforce the Honor Code at BYU, and abide by the other many challenges that they will face here (like all other non-LDS players and associates), then they should be considered a candidate to run the program. If they are non-LDS, they should also be required to have an LDS "spiritual advisor" like a mission president on staff to address the spiritual needs of the players (like Notre Dame).

I think that it would do wonders for the PR of the LDS church if they hired Steve Sarkisian as the next head coach at BYU. Assuming that he is addressing his alcohol problem, could you imagine the great PR the (bigoted, intolerant, unfair) church would get if TH extended the olive branch to SS?

Sarkisian is a really good football coach who knows how to navigate BYU. He's a beloved former QB. It would be like the "Prodigal Son". Kudos to the church if they made this happen.
Mesa, you have put some very good thoughts and ideas into this post. This would truly be some outside the box thinking on the part of TH and the BOT. Very interesting idea indeed.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Never gonna happen. Bronco raised the bar for what the BoT (i.e. the First Presidency) expects from a coach. They want a missionary as much as a X-and-O winner.

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

snoscythe wrote:Never gonna happen. Bronco raised the bar for what the BoT (i.e. the First Presidency) expects from a coach. They want a missionary as much as a X-and-O winner.
Weren't the Jesuits missionaries? Isn't Sark Catholic? ;)

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Having a non-LDS head coach would really surprise me. In fact I just can't see it happening. Why does the Church need good PR? Why does the praise of the world matter?

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
MesaCougFan
Freshman

Post by MesaCougFan »

snoscythe wrote:Never gonna happen. Bronco raised the bar for what the BoT (i.e. the First Presidency) expects from a coach. They want a missionary as much as a X-and-O winner.
Sno- The desire to have a "Missionary" would be fulfilled by the "Mission President" staff member.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by MesaCougFan on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

The critics will call it BYU selling it's soul for a few more wins in football. PR just cannot be a consideration here. Hire the best guy and let the world deal with it as they want

MesaCougFan
Freshman

Post by MesaCougFan »

I realize that this scenario is highly unlikely, but it is the kind of scenario that the BOT and TH need to consider. Of all the names that have been discussed, the only game changers (upgrades) would be Reid & Whitt. Those are unrealistic because of financial restraints. Sark is a game changer who has been humbled by his own actions. He was a $5 MM coach at USC, but now a leper who may have been humbled enough to accept the pittance that we would offer. We would be getting a great value head coach for pennies on the dollar.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Exactly. What it should do is create an mandatory anger management workshop for its players who can't seem to control their anger and are creating a mdeia frenzy of sorts.
Additionally, if BYU wants they type of coach Bronco was, missionary first, then they aren't likely going to get better. So maybe they should wise up and realize that they want a premier football program paying nearly a pittance to a coach in comparison to other elite schools. In fact, I would wager to say that at just over $1mm salary, Bronco was dramatically underpaid in comparison to the under-market pay for professors. I'm sure they have stats that show faculty getting paid on average 30-35% less than like-kind faculty at other elite institutions. Bronco was getting 30% of what he will get at UV freakin A! You blew it TH and "rich" donors. If you want big time, prime time, then you better pay up. You just lost a coach who brought you more of the whole package that you want than likely what you are going to get. If Jeff Benedict is correct, and the "winter" of BYU football is coming, then you have been penny-wise and pound foolish! Yes, I'm ticked that BYU can't pony up to keep a really solid coach. There isn't an elite LDS coach out there! So to consider a "good dude" from rehab is who is clearly on and off the wagon (that's called an addict, folks) is ridiculously pandering to the PC crowd and won't even come close to buying BYU or the church the "positive rep" you area suggesting.
Bronco was the IT that you were seeking and he just chased a 65% pay increase at a university that isn't even nor has the chance to be an elite football Program.