Why We Lost

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Why We Lost

Post by Gunk »

If anyone ever argues that it isn't coaching, all they have to do is look at Michigan. They've been terrible the last few years. Hired a brilliant coach and they're winning.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Coaching is a huge part of any win and any loss. BYU beat Nebraska because they had been coached to play tough and had that practiced and well designed hail mary play in their pocket. Today BYU was out coached, the players were also out played. Simple as that.

BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BYULV »

I agree this loss is more on the coaches than anyone else, but players have to play. From the first play our guys played timid and reactive. A lot of that is from the coaching, but players at this level have got to be able to motivate themselves and keep from getting star struck on the big stage.

I think another big reason we lost is fatigue; not because we played four tough games back to back, but simply due to traveling the day before the game, changing two tone zones and then having to be ready for a kickoff at 10am your time. We arrived in Detroit about the same time the team did on Friday, 3:30 pm or do, and we couldn't fall asleep until around 2 am.

I'll blame this loss 55% coaching, 20% on poorly planned travel/ early game time/double time zone change, and 25% players.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

a1247 wrote:Amazing how many don't understand what it means to distant yourself from something. In no way does it mean to leave completely behind or in this case no longer be a fan. Could it be I needed to distant myself for my own good? How does this make me a or anyone else a "fair weather fan" or a "bandwagon fan"?
One problem is there are those on this board who feel they have to be the be all end all of BYU fandom and if someone doesn't agree with them or doesn't "bleed blue" like they think they should then there labeled. Give it a break already Its people like this that are pushing people off this site.
3 years ago there were a lot more people who came to this website, during games there were SO many more people posting. Now there's a small group of maybe 20.
The prediction game, a few years ago I won it and there where triple the amount of people playing back then. It would seem those who think they are the "real true fan" are possible pushing people away.
And as for me being a bandwagon fan, I'm not Mormon why the hell would I choose to be a bandwagon fan to a team and school like BYU? Get over it I'm as big a fan as anyone! And games like today kill me and yes IT SUCKS when they lose like that!
You make some good points. We are all fans at a different level. Maybe there are fans that are at a 100% level. Good for them. But that doesn't mean that those who are not so high a level aren't fans. I sometimes try to promote BYU and this sight to people. It wouldn't be good for them to be criticized when first coming around. Ya, the big loss hurts a lot but I'll keep coming back. I hope the team does.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Gunk wrote:If anyone ever argues that it isn't coaching, all they have to do is look at Michigan. They've been terrible the last few years. Hired a brilliant coach and they're winning.
NFL teams are QB-centric. If you want to compete year-in-year-out, you need that elite QB. College, by virtue of the rapid personnel turnover, is head coach centric. If you want to compete year-in-year-out, you need that elite head coach.

I'm still not sold that Harbaugh takes them to anything better than 9-4 or 8-5 this year, but hats off to what he's done in the first third of the season.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

SpiffCoug wrote:I'll take the hit. I didn't wear the same shirt at Hawk's that I wore for the Nebraska game. Sorry guys. I'll do better for the next road game.
Hawk - I officially request that you put Spiff in "time-out". Thank you. ;)

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

You guys can explain and point fingers. I really can't find fault because I am dumbfounded. What I cannot understand is, why could we not make 1 field goal. Not 1 in an entire game. I cannot understand that. I believe in our coaching staff. The UofM drubbing was painful.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Ddawg wrote:You guys can explain and point fingers. I really can't find fault because I am dumbfounded. What I cannot understand is, why could we not make 1 field goal. Not 1 in an entire game. I cannot understand that. I believe in our coaching staff. The UofM drubbing was painful.
We didn't even cross the 50, except when we got the ball back on the fake punt. It was an exercise in futility. Towards the end of the 3rd quarter I didn't even have hope that we would score. I was hoping to break 100 yards and maybe, just maybe, get past the 50 yard line on our own merits. But alas, it was not to be.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Brayden Green wrote:
Ddawg wrote:You guys can explain and point fingers. I really can't find fault because I am dumbfounded. What I cannot understand is, why could we not make 1 field goal. Not 1 in an entire game. I cannot understand that. I believe in our coaching staff. The UofM drubbing was painful.
We didn't even cross the 50, except when we got the ball back on the fake punt. It was an exercise in futility. Towards the end of the 3rd quarter I didn't even have hope that we would score. I was hoping to break 100 yards and maybe, just maybe, get past the 50 yard line on our own merits. But alas, it was not to be.
^^^ This. ^^^

Our best drive ended on the Michigan 43.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

I don't care how many miles we traveled. I don't care how many injuries there are. I don't care how many tough teams on a row we played. To not be able to even cross the 50 is a failure of monumental proportions.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director