Is it ever good enough?

BYU Cougars on the court.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Is it ever good enough?

Post by craigoscarson »

Does anyone take accountability for their preseason predictions and assessments?

Many said this may be a 15 win team at best

Some said "I don't expect Kyle Collinsworth will play next year" and one said "I'm not sure we EVER see KC play again in a BYU uni"

Many had written off the Stanford game because Tyler wasn't supposed to play

Most didn't expect to beat anyone of importance in the Maui invitational because we wouldn't have Aytes ready

No one anticipated Utah would be this good, especially without Loveridge

I won't say names, but a lot of people piled on Collinsworth last year that are now looking silly...

Yet here we are an injured Tyler Haws, an injured Nate Austin, a healthy Kyle Collinsworth, no Jamal Aytes and a shiny 9-3 record where we were extremely competitive in our 3 losses... and probably should have won 2 of them

I don't know when this board will just be happy with a win against a decent team....

Our hoops team this year has some serious flaws, we have zero low post scoring, we don't rebound terribly well, and we can't guard the perimeter, but we're 9-3, have a top 50 RPI and have been competitive in every game we've played. I don't know if we'll end up NCAA tourney worthy, but we're a good team that should be enjoyed. Sometimes I think it's okay to just be good. Enjoy this good team, maybe we've been spoiled in the past, but this is the team we have... no true point, no go to post man... and we're good. Good enough to beat most teams on a given night and certainly good enough to give most teams a good game... fine with me. I'm glad we won, I'm glad we still have the possibility of an at large seed. I'm happy we beat Stanford.

I think based on preseason assumptions by many if not most on this board, we should all be very happy with how this season has gone. It has exceeded everyone's expectations... so why are we getting greedy?

Who here expected better than 9-3 at this point? answer: NO ONE

KC wasn't going to be this good this soon after his injury, Aytes wouldn't be playing until this week anyhow, I doubt anyone thought Winder would be this good (at least no one was crowing about his lack of playing time before the season)... We beat Stanford with Corbin Kaufusi (an RM walkon) Isaac Nielsen and Luke Worthington playing the 4-5... it's a minor miracle we won if you consider the preseason expectations for these players... yet here we are 9-3 and certainly still on the bubble to dance... not bad .. not bad at all

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Is it ever good enough?

Post by BoiseBYU »

Well said. Well said. This team IS fun to watch and follow.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I think people were conceding this game when Haws went out because Stanford is a very good team. Haws played and made a difference, difference enough to win. I enjoyed it and admire this team even with all their weaknesses that get pointed out whether they win or lose.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

This year has gone much better than I expected and I'm glad for it!

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Craig, you are right about your sentiment and a number of your points. But there is only one hater and the dude who follows him and both have been the most vocal about bashing KC. He may not be a "true point guard" but he was breaking down the D last night better than any other player on this team. He was just short of a second triple double and this type of play, if his knee can hold up and and pass physicals, may end up getting himself drafted or at least a lot of looks. And Haws, what a surprize he turned out to be yesterday. BYU would have been beaten soundly without him. He did get a little cold as the game went on, but he hit some amazing shots. Yes, we are woefully absent any post scoring, except for what KC can do and an occasionally, one-hit wonder, baby hook by hustle boy, Luke, but the big four are pretty fun to watch.
I, myself, thought they would be right where they are, but didn't necessarily see them getting to where they are the way they did.
BYU has gone from a certain NIT, to another shot at the big dance. If they beat UMass, they have two quality wins and no bad losses-yet.
But a lot of vulnerabilities. No bigs scoring, KC's knee--he was hobbling again during the game, Haws' ankle, and Austin's hammy, which could be chronic, and a potential over reliance on Haws and KC, which can create fatigue over the season,

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Why the greed? I'm just tired of the moral victory known as BYU basketball.

I saw this season as clear step up in regards to returning players. But it's been the same story. Close games and moral victories. BYU had SDSU in the bag (SDSU isn't all they're cracked up to be BTW), took purdue (who is the worst loss so far) to overtime and stumbled against utah. Win 2 of those three games and BYU is pretty much a lock in the tournament at this point. Stanford hasn't beaten anyone of significance... yet. UMASS should be a W, they are a bad road team and already are batting just over .500. Gonzaga will beat us at least 2 times this year.

As it stands, instead of being a top 15 program, BYU has settled into their usual 35-60 spot in the rankings. This won't change much with WCC play starting.

To answer your question. It will be good enough when BYU stops finding ways to lose games and starts finding ways to beat quality programs. Tall task, but it is what I expect of a talent laden team with a lot of upperclassmen.

If you're content with close games and wins against teams with RPI >60, you're easier to please than myself.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougs_Rule wrote: He may not be a "true point guard" but he was breaking down the D last night better than any other player on this team. He was just short of a second triple double and this type of play, if his knee can hold up and and pass physicals, may end up getting himself drafted or at least a lot of looks.
KC does not need to be playing the point guard position to "break down the D". Nor does he need to play the point guard position to get triple doubles. I think KC's work he has done as PG has been commendable. But BYU would be a better team with a real point guard who can handle a full court press like SDSU's or Stanford's, has marginally better handles and could take the load off an already stressed out KC knee.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

And it would be a better team with better bigs. What's your purpose in contonuning to whine? That's Craig's point exactly. If you are going to continue to be a malcontent watching two potential BYU hall of famers, so be it. quite frankly I am glad Rose has made the decision he has, who else did he have to develop? Notwithstanding Anson's overall strong game, and huge free throws, he showed some of his former self in a few ugly ways that also almost cost the game. KC would not have as many assists if he wasn't the PG. He is a special player, a very tough matchup for teams, especially at the point.
Truth is, it wasn't just BYU making bone headed plays. SDSU And Stanford made some great plays as well. Veteran coaches with some very athletic kids mixed with some reffing that allowed a ton of contact (#5 on one of his steals). So, yeah, an imperfect team and an imperfect coach--when is it ever good enough?
BYU women's bball, played almost out of their heads vs Texas but looked good, but not great vs PSU--it could even be argued that they played not even close to their potential. The girl who got them there, the once in a lifetime 6'7" Hamson, the veteran, the WNBA drafted, almost freak of nature, made huge mistakes in the final and yet was also the only one to do much, beyond Boswell, who had a few quick-set spikes and a few blocks. But BYU got soundly beat by the better team. It happens. Rose had cancer and is dang fortunate to still be coaching let alone alive. Masquing your discontent with some intellectualized sense of "what's wrong with wanting perfection" is just missing the boat.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Hamson a once a lifetime player? Could be but her younger sister is 6'8" and I am hoping she follows in her sister's footsteps.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

I'll agree to disagree cougs_rule.

if BYU has two future hall of famers and is still on the bubble, I'm not satisfied. I like this team, some of the habits that are evident with BYU basketball don't sit as well with me. a little more discipline, a little more defense and this team with its two "hall of famers" is ranked in the top 15. I don't know why that is considered greedy.

I'd bet most of the players are feeling some of the same.

and I expect no where close to perfection. but a team like BYU is not going to do well when making terrible decisions like being up 5 points with one minute left and taking a shot with 48 seconds left. bullet dodged though. I am quite satisfied with the FT shooting improvement this year. huge improvement. those are the types of things BYU can control RIGHT NOW and will need to in order to compete with the more athletic and stronger teams.