If Anae gets the UNLV job

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: If Anae gets the UNLV job

Post by Wickchad »

Mars wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Mars wrote:
Schmoe wrote: What if we bump Doman to OC and offer Detmer the qb coach spot? I think they could really be a dynamic duo.
What's Coach Doman's track record as an OC at other schools?
Same as Anae's before he came on board.
True, and good point. Sometimes it's a hit, but other times it's a miss. See: Rose, men's basketball. See: Sanford, UNLV football.

I actually wonder if Sanford might be a better OC than Anae. Or Crowton. I don't think so for either of them. Doman, maybe. Kragthorpe, strong maybe. Any other "pie in the sky" ideas to toss out here while I'm dreaming? Houston's OC perhaps? And I'll say it again, I don't even strongly dislike Anae, he has brought us a long way and a lot of wins...
I would take Crowton as an offensive coordinator. He has proven to be a winner as an OC, just don't let him make decisions on 4th down or bog him down with head coaching responsibilities. As far as putting an offensive game plan together he is pretty darn good. Since Crowton has been gone I can't think of a single game where I think that our offensive game plan actually won a game that we shouldn't have. Our current offense is based on execution and not wrinkles that can beat better teams. Look to Utah's game plan against Alabama for an example of how a good offensive game plan can change a game.

gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by gmj81 »

BYUROCKS wrote:
BYUTIME wrote:
BYUROCKS wrote:From what I have heard Robert is the next HC for BYU once Bronco leaves, I don't see him leaving for UNLV.

Wait, once Bronco leaves? Is this what you alluded to earlier?

No, don't worry, I think he will be here for at least 2-5 more seasons, but remember he said, he was not a long term HC.
That was said before this season when Bronco relinquished the DC duties to Hill. He has since said that he's had a lot more fun this season and a weight has been lifted off his shoulders.

I could see Bronco staying at least another 8-10 years if not longer as long as he has good and competent coaches whom he trusts.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

scott715 wrote:I thought Reid was the next HC?
Nothing is set in stone but while I'm sure he would consider it, I think he'll be waiting a while for Bronco to step down.

Plus, his support in Philly seems to have been rejuvenated the past couple of seasons.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

hawkwing wrote:My concern with Anae leaving is the polynesian connection we're potentially losing. How do we keep that in full swing?
We still have coach Kaufusi but no doubt having two poly coaches helped. Thing is, I don't recall hearing all that much about Coach Anae's recruiting success. Coach Anae is a great teacher and that is what we would missed most if he left.

BYUROCKS
Junior

Post by BYUROCKS »

gmj81 wrote:
BYUROCKS wrote:
BYUTIME wrote:
BYUROCKS wrote:From what I have heard Robert is the next HC for BYU once Bronco leaves, I don't see him leaving for UNLV.

Wait, once Bronco leaves? Is this what you alluded to earlier?

No, don't worry, I think he will be here for at least 2-5 more seasons, but remember he said, he was not a long term HC.
That was said before this season when Bronco relinquished the DC duties to Hill. He has since said that he's had a lot more fun this season and a weight has been lifted off his shoulders.

I could see Bronco staying at least another 8-10 years if not longer as long as he has good and competent coaches whom he trusts.
Sweet, I missed him saying that, to be honest, I would love it if he pulled a LeVell, and stayed for ever ;) ;)

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

Lawboy wrote:We have always had a solid Poly connection due to the fact that many LDS kids on the islands want to play for BYU. Or their parents want them to. That will not change. Ron McBride recruited the Poly's amazingly well. It was all about his attitude, and his doing well in that community is what got the Utes better.

As to a new OC, I am not a huge Kragthorpe guy. The OC that made Tulsa hum was Gus Malzahn, and he is not the OC at Auburn. Kragthorpe was good, Mazlzahn got Tulsa great. I am an alum of their law program, so I follow them a little too.

I think the UNLV job goes to the Steelers RB Coach. He wa sthe runner up last time, he still wants it bad, and he would be a good fit for that town. He is African American, and could recruit LV best and keep kids at home. If he did not get it, or Willingham next on list, I would be surprised.
Agreed. I'm not sold on Kragthorpe. I think I'd sooner hire Sanford than Kragthorpe but I'd also give the job to Doman before hiring Sanford. There might be a few more options out there but I'd love to somehow work some of the old players back into the program. It would be great to get Detmer involved but I don't know if he'd be ready for the OC job right away, if for no other reason for the pressure and heat he'd take. He's been out of the NFL for a number of years now and not really involved with any football from what I recall so it would be best to ease him back into things. Plus, I don't think Detmer is a proud guy. I don't think he'd have a problem being the QB coach under Doman even though he's older than him and had a better college career.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

Wickchad84087 wrote:
Mars wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Mars wrote:
Schmoe wrote: What if we bump Doman to OC and offer Detmer the qb coach spot? I think they could really be a dynamic duo.
True, and good point. Sometimes it's a hit, but other times it's a miss. See: Rose, men's basketball. See: Sanford, UNLV football.

I actually wonder if Sanford might be a better OC than Anae. Or Crowton. I don't think so for either of them. Doman, maybe. Kragthorpe, strong maybe. Any other "pie in the sky" ideas to toss out here while I'm dreaming? Houston's OC perhaps? And I'll say it again, I don't even strongly dislike Anae, he has brought us a long way and a lot of wins...
I would take Crowton as an offensive coordinator. He has proven to be a winner as an OC, just don't let him make decisions on 4th down or bog him down with head coaching responsibilities. As far as putting an offensive game plan together he is pretty darn good. Since Crowton has been gone I can't think of a single game where I think that our offensive game plan actually won a game that we shouldn't have. Our current offense is based on execution and not wrinkles that can beat better teams. Look to Utah's game plan against Alabama for an example of how a good offensive game plan can change a game.
While I agree Crowton is an offensive genius and much better suited as an OC than an HC, I think that ship has sailed. Let's not reopen old wounds. Plus, he has seemed to stagnate a little too after a couple of years at each stop he's been. But that's what they said about Chow too then look what he did at USC. I'm sure he's learned new things at each stop he's been but you also have to have a pretty amazing pool of talent to consistently have the kind of success either of them have had during their peak years of success.

UVACoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by UVACoug »

Wickchad84087 wrote:
Mars wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Mars wrote:

You do realize that LSU has one of the worst offenses in the country this year, don't you? I love Crowton and wish he was as good as he has shown at times throughout his career. I would welcome him back as OC in a second if I thought he was a good coordinator. Unfortunately, after his initial year at every program he has been at, his success has consistently dropped off rapidly.

I like Anae and hope he stays as long as possible. He isn't flashy like other offensive coaches, but he gets the job done and has developed one of the most prolific offenses in the country over the last five years. I do think he gets hired away as a HC at some point. He seems like a good teacher and from what I have seen of him (which isn't much) he seems to have a level headed demeanor that would work well as an administrator of a team.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

UVACoug wrote:
Wickchad84087 wrote:I would take Crowton as an offensive coordinator. He has proven to be a winner as an OC, just don't let him make decisions on 4th down or bog him down with head coaching responsibilities. As far as putting an offensive game plan together he is pretty darn good. Since Crowton has been gone I can't think of a single game where I think that our offensive game plan actually won a game that we shouldn't have. Our current offense is based on execution and not wrinkles that can beat better teams. Look to Utah's game plan against Alabama for an example of how a good offensive game plan can change a game.
You do realize that LSU has one of the worst offenses in the country this year, don't you? I love Crowton and wish he was as good as he has shown at times throughout his career. I would welcome him back as OC in a second if I thought he was a good coordinator. Unfortunately, after his initial year at every program he has been at, his success has consistently dropped off rapidly.
Just thought I'd provide the stats that back up what you are saying.

Here is where Gary Crowton's offense ranks nationally this year (SEC rankings in parentheses):

Rushing Offense 84 (11)
Passing Offense 100 (9)
Total Offense 108 (11)
Scoring Offense 75 (10)

Those aren't the kind of numbers that make me think, "Hey, we should give that guy money to do that here." Really though, I just want an offense that can put up more than 7 points against TCU.

pwride-Imposter

Post by pwride-Imposter »

Mars wrote:
Schmoe wrote:What if we bump Doman to OC and offer Detmer the qb coach spot? I think they could really be a dynamic duo.
Yes, and what was Bronco's track record as a head coach when he was promoted? For the love of heaven! Get with the program man!