The Real Issues - Hadley

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The Real Issues - Hadley

Post by Cougarbib »

I typed this in a reply, but a server or network time-out lost it. It needs its own thread anyway.

The wrong people are getting the attention and blame from too many people.

The Ute fan that sent the video was certainly an opportunist and one with an agenda. Who gave him that opportunity? Spencer Hadley. Even if a Ute fan had duped Hadly into going to enable himself to get a picture and hurt BYU and The LDS Church, you would have to give the Utes the victory. Who could have prevented it? Spencer Hadly. Write SUCKER in big letters on his forehead.

The Ute Compliance Officer who immediately sent it to BYU probably did BYU a favor by giving them a chance to self-report any NCAA violatuon, if any occurred and to do damage control, before the Ute Fan sent it to The Trib or The NCAA. Just doin her job and providing a professional courtesy. And when U was hit by a freedom of information request by the local paper - required by law to comply. And thus we see the email address of the Ute Fan and the name of the supposed booster. And who could have prevented all of this? Spencer Hadley.

And for the supposed booster and allegations about player benefits - well.

Whether he is a booster or not, it is important for BYU fans to find out whether this person in fact encouraged, aided, or abetted Hadley's bad behavior. If he is a booster and benefits were received, this will not be a secret for long. NCAA and internal BYU investigators will be all over the booster benefits part. And BYU will rightfully cut off and distance themselves from him. But booster or not, benefits or not, someone researched and reported that the person with that name operates a local home security company. If he was sitting with Hadley in a strip club - and I am not saying he was - but fans need to know if he was - BYU fans need to dump any services provided by his company. Accountability. Of course Ute fans will be signing up - so perhaps he survives this.

Who could have prevented all of this? Hadley and his buddy.

My dad once advised me - seriously - never fool around unless you are at least 2 tankfulls of gas away from home - or you will get caught. That was before flying became common and phones became cameras. Updated advice for Spencer Hadley - never fool around - especially when famous - unless you are at least two galaxies away from home - or you will get caught - further hurting yourself, teammates, family, friends, University, and Church.

Forget the Ute Fan. Forget the U Compliance Official. Forget The Trib.

Remember Hadley and his friend. That is where the problem lies.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: The Real Issues - Hadley

Post by SpiffCoug »

Agreed. However, Utah passed on a bunch of dubious information. Information that isn't even verified yet. The Trib hasn't been able to contact this informant. The only reason we "know" it was in Vegas is because the email said so. The only reason we "know" a booster is involved is because the email said so. There is also some doubt to the authenticity of the photo - which is why it hasn't been run yet.

Yes, the person solely responsible for this is Hadley. He's an RM. He should know better than to be drinking. He's a senior. So he should know Bronco doesn't tolerate HC violations. He's a team captain. So he should know the team is both counting on him and looking to him as an example.

My ONLY and SINGULAR issue with this is the timing of the Ute fan. This only came to light to get a player in trouble and hopefully suspended.

The blame for the situation lies only with Hadley.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

FWIW I have a big time problem with any blame whatsoever being given to the Ute compliance officer. She received an unsolicited email alleging a problem at a neighboring university, within 12 minutes of receipt she forwarded it to her counterpart at that university. I do not see how she could have acted any better. She is the one person in this whole scenario who should be thanked for doing her job diligently and well.

Hadley made a stupid mistake, and I'm fine with him being punished and having a chance to move on. It is full of irony however, that the so-called "Avid Ute fan" has gone silent. He's probably stupid enough not to have thought about how he can explain to his wife that HE was in the strip club, and now HE's got some damage control of his own to work through....
Last edited by ABYUFAN on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Cougarbib wrote:I typed this in a reply, but a server or network time-out lost it. It needs its own thread anyway.

The wrong people are getting the attention and blame from too many people.

The Ute fan that sent the video was certainly an opportunist and one with an agenda. Who gave him that opportunity? Spencer Hadley. Even if a Ute fan had duped Hadly into going to enable himself to get a picture and hurt BYU and The LDS Church, you would have to give the Utes the victory. Who could have prevented it? Spencer Hadly. Write SUCKER in big letters on his forehead.

The Ute Compliance Officer who immediately sent it to BYU probably did BYU a favor by giving them a chance to self-report any NCAA violatuon, if any occurred and to do damage control, before the Ute Fan sent it to The Trib or The NCAA. Just doin her job and providing a professional courtesy. And when U was hit by a freedom of information request by the local paper - required by law to comply. And thus we see the email address of the Ute Fan and the name of the supposed booster. And who could have prevented all of this? Spencer Hadley.

And for the supposed booster and allegations about player benefits - well.

Whether he is a booster or not, it is important for BYU fans to find out whether this person in fact encouraged, aided, or abetted Hadley's bad behavior. If he is a booster and benefits were received, this will not be a secret for long. NCAA and internal BYU investigators will be all over the booster benefits part. And BYU will rightfully cut off and distance themselves from him. But booster or not, benefits or not, someone researched and reported that the person with that name operates a local home security company. If he was sitting with Hadley in a strip club - and I am not saying he was - but fans need to know if he was - BYU fans need to dump any services provided by his company. Accountability. Of course Ute fans will be signing up - so perhaps he survives this.

Who could have prevented all of this? Hadley and his buddy.

My dad once advised me - seriously - never fool around unless you are at least 2 tankfulls of gas away from home - or you will get caught. That was before flying became common and phones became cameras. Updated advice for Spencer Hadley - never fool around - especially when famous - unless you are at least two galaxies away from home - or you will get caught - further hurting yourself, teammates, family, friends, University, and Church.

Forget the Ute Fan. Forget the U Compliance Official. Forget The Trib.

Remember Hadley and his friend. That is where the problem lies.

A) This could have been put in the thread already existing for Hadley.

B) Everyone knows this. The blame first goes on Hadley himself. That doesn't mean there isn't blame to go on the Yewt fan who took the picture (and held onto it until the rivalry game) or the Yewt Compliance Officer who was only too happy to send it along.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

ABYUFAN wrote:FWIW I have a big time problem wit any blame whatsoever being given tot he Ute Compliance officer. She received an unsolicited email alleging a problem at a neighboring university, within 12 minutes of receipt she forwarded it to her counterpart at that university. I do not see how she could have acted any better. She is the one person in this whole scenario who should be thanked for doing her job diligently and well.

Hadley made a stupid mistake, and I'm fine with him being punished and having a chance to move on. It is full of irony however, that the so-called "Avid Ute fan" has gone silent. He's probably stupid enough not to have thought about how he can explain to his wife that HE was in the strip club, and now HE's got some damage control of his own to work through....
Spot on.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

KingCoug wrote: or the Yewt Compliance Officer who was only too happy to send it along.
What should she have done? Delete the email? Nothing? She can't do "nothing" The entire Joe Paterno situation showed the world that doing nothing is no longer acceptable (if it ever was)

She didn't ask for the initial contact, nor did she forward it to the paper. She sent it to a school that she knew would handle it privately. I cannot see what she could have done better.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

The Ute women's swim team should be the only people upset about how this came about.

Where was the concern in the compliance office when they were getting reports about that program?

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

She also knew that if an NCAA violation occurred, there is no way to keep it private and that BYU would benefit from the opportunity to self report.

U also indicated that they would want BYU to do the same for them.

Many have missed key points due to the U being involved and being distracted by the tattletale or the compliance officer issues.

Evwn our beloved Hawkwing misses the point by being so quick to point out that U has no honor code, relatively speaking. They do not.

But they are subject to Booster activity rules and agent rules and

BAM

The U just invited any of you to gather up your evidence of U players receiving booster benefits like the ones alleged here and send them to BYU so BYU xan forward them to the U minutes later.

Just Do It.

Unless you find that doing so leaves you a little too much splainin to do about how you happened to be in that strip club getting photos of a Ute Booster buying drinks for a player.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

ABYUFAN wrote:
KingCoug wrote: or the Yewt Compliance Officer who was only too happy to send it along.
What should she have done? Delete the email? Nothing? She can't do "nothing" The entire Joe Paterno situation showed the world that doing nothing is no longer acceptable (if it ever was)

She didn't ask for the initial contact, nor did she forward it to the paper. She sent it to a school that she knew would handle it privately. I cannot see what she could have done better.
Well, comparing paterno to drinking a beer is ridiculous and it was not even her university. hadley was not molesting boys, he was looking at boobs apparently while enjoying an odouls (all speculation by the way) and she asked him for evidence of violations of a player that doesn't even go to her school. my response would be, hey, wrong university. why is she asking him for additional evidence in the first place? its ridiculous if you ask me. is it her fault, not, its hadley's but still it is ridiculous. like sno said, too bad they didn't investigate their own problems with similar vigor.

not to mention the grama request shot out like 8 times faster than the trib has ever received one. i think the utes are ridiculous and insecure.

they could have handled it worse though. they could have handed it over to the press before byu.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

jonnylingo wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:

Well, comparing paterno to drinking a beer is ridiculous and it was not even her university. hadley was not molesting boys, he was looking at boobs apparently while enjoying an odouls (all speculation by the way) and she asked him for evidence of violations of a player that doesn't even go to her school. my response would be, hey, wrong university. why is she asking him for additional evidence in the first place? its ridiculous if you ask me. is it her fault, not, its hadley's but still it is ridiculous. like sno said, too bad they didn't investigate their own problems with similar vigor.

not to mention the grama request shot out like 8 times faster than the trib has ever received one. i think the utes are ridiculous and insecure.

they could have handled it worse though. they could have handed it over to the press before byu.
I didn't mean to compare the two activities, I merely was pointing out that government employees can never do nothing. never. With that in mind, what should she have done in this situation?

Yes they goofed on the swimming team accusations, and perhaps her quick response was because of the black eye that the university got from that scandal. But we can't say they blew it on the swimming scandal and then get mad at them for not blowing it here.