BYU Cougars on the court.
GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs ISU Bengals 7:30 MST Radio only

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

(edit - deleted)
Last edited by GolfDiveNCougs on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

We're doing really well forcing turnovers and capitalizing. Gotten 14 TO's from them, and scored 20 points. Sounding good. Efficient. They're beating us on offensive rebounds 11-9. Hmm. Could go for a bit more agressiveness.

And JT is now 1 for 9 shooting. Gaaahhhh!!! He absolutely WON'T pass up a shot, even when he's not feeling it! :sick:

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

GolfDiveNCougs wrote:We're doing really well forcing turnovers and capitalizing. Gotten 14 TO's from them, and scored 20 points. Sounding good. Efficient. They're beating us on offensive rebounds 11-9. Hmm. Could go for a bit more agressiveness.

And JT is now 1 for 9 shooting. Gaaahhhh!!! He absolutely WON'T pass up a shot, even when he's not feeling it! :sick:
One thing that Bradley did well was get back on defense; even if it meant giving up offensive rebounds. I wrote just this week on the "other site" that well hell, I'll copy it (I'm too lazY)
There's more to a quality player than how much they can fill up the score board. Every team in our conference would trade us their 2 guard to have Jackson Emery on their team (he's that good a defender), and every team in our conference would die to have the depth off our bench that we do. (there are no other teams with Loyd, Haws, Hartsock, Davies, Anderson, Morgan, Magnusson sitting their pine waiting for their minutes)

There are ways to use that depth and exploit the opposing team. Bradley knew this and planned accordingly; a plan that kept them close but offered very little resistance as far as us getting the W.

Even though we shot poorly and played poorly at times againt a very good Bradley team, we were always in control of the game. Why?

Because Bradley was so afraid of our fast break that they got back on defense and turned their backs on offensive rebounds. They were so afraid that in our place, with our altitude, and our offensive philosophy, that if they got in a track race with us, that we'd start unloading our horses from the bench and they'd be wasted by the end of the 1st half.
(there will be teams that stupidly decide they want to run with us.... they will regret it)

If BYU manages not to needlessly foul Bradley, we win this game by 30 because they could not score, save the occasional 3.

Idaho State is playing into our hands by attempting to run with us (which is leading to their turnovers and our transition points)
Bottom line, Obrien cannot coach and he's emotionally letting this game get out of control by coaching into our laps...

BYUROCKS
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BYUROCKS »

WTH is up with JT ?

GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

Jax drills back to back 3's! 19 points off of 5-7 from 3. Kid is on FIRE! Can't say enough good about Emery! 11-0 run to get it back up to 67-42.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

JT obviously is having some confidence issues shooting. Not much different than a baseball player that gets a hitch in their swing.

The easiest way to get out of it, is to concentrate on doing everything else well; take the ball to the rim (which JT can do) and let the game flow naturally. He's forced a few shots and his rhythmn is off.

Good to see Jackson have a solid offensive game. He has looked great on D all year but I haven't seen anything that would make me think he had much confidence in his scoring.

We'll need a good game from all our shooters on the road vs Hawaii..

GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

Jax grabs back-to-back offensive rebounds as well. Kid is EVERYWHERE! Oh, and ISU's top scorer in their previous two games (21 and 19 pts), their guard Gilchrist... venture a guess? Yeah, 3 points total. Venture a guess at who is guarding him???
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

87 - 53 Final. Good solid game. Great pressure, some players stepped up unexpectedly. I'm becoming a big fan of Haws. He's got a bit of the foul bug, but I'm sure that's a function of catching up to the speed of the college game. In high school, he was used to blowing by guys as slow as I was. ;)

All players scored except Zylstra, who got the fewest minutes at the end. Everyone's looking solid!

GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

Wow. Bengals had precisely ZERO fastbreak points. Maybe I shouldn't worry too much about any perceived lack in offensive boards. We still ended up doing well there too. By the end we out O-boarded them 15 to 12.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

GolfDiveNCougs wrote:87 - 53 Final. Good solid game. Great pressure, some players stepped up unexpectedly. I'm becoming a big fan of Haws. He's got a bit of the foul bug, but I'm sure that's a function of catching up to the speed of the college game. In high school, he was used to blowing by guys as slow as I was. ;)

All players scored except Zylstra, who got the fewest minutes at the end. Everyone's looking solid!

Davies and Haws are fouling some. They're just not used to letting a play go and keeping their hands in.

The beauty is that there isn't a position that would kill us if a guy gets in foul trouble (though we'd hate to see Jimmer get in trouble)

Jackson is a stone cold killer on D; when he scores too, we're scary good.