Word of the Day

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Word of the Day

Post by urroner »

I love learning new words, only problem is I almost always forget them even if I use them five times a day for a week, but I love new, but weird words.

Word of the Day - osculate

Osculate - To kiss. "Come over here woman, I feel like oscualting you."

I learnt this word as a kid and I would get people in my ward all excited when I would say "My dad loves to osculate my mom." My dad would always tell me to stop being such a enfant terrible.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Word of the Day

Post by scott715 »

With your heritage, people would think the worst with your comment.

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

pulchritudinous - Characterized by or having great physical beauty and appeal. (The "ch" is a hard "c " sound.)

I realize that this sounds like a non-positive word, in fact, it sounds more like an insult, but it is a very complimenting word.

Example: "Damn honey, you sure look pulch today. Let's go osculate" :evil: :evil:

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

sesquipedalian
1. given to using long words.
2. (of a word) containing many syllables.

I love this word because it describes exactly what it is. "sesqui" means ""half as much again," so "sesquicentennial" means "150 years." "ped" come from "pes" and mean "foot,"so "sesquipedalian" means "somebody who uses words a foot and a half long" or "somebody who uses long words." The word practically is what it means.

But there is an interesting side note here, especially for those who like "-phobia" words. "Sesquipedalophobia" means "An abnormal, persistent fear of long words."

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

lugubrious [loo-goo-bree-uhs, -gyoo-]
–adjective
mournful, dismal, or gloomy, esp. in an affected, exaggerated, or unrelieved manner: lugubrious songs of lost love.

Cougarcorner was a place full of life and joy until the villainous Schmoe showed up, then it became a very lugubrious place, kind of like, but not as bad as the Northern Septic Abyss :utard: .

NOTE: Schmoe is good people and this is a gentle poke in his ribs. :P :whistle: ;) Please note his name is in the true color of righteousness and high intelligence - blue!!!!

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Haha, thanks Urroner, but we all know that your disclaimer is just a lie so that I won't steal your homemade ice cream!

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

So Urroner, you got the brains but not the looks! Using all of those long words and all.

kiwibacon
All-American

Post by kiwibacon »

urroner wrote:...But there is an interesting side note here, especially for those who like "-phobia" words. "Sesquipedalophobia" means "An abnormal, persistent fear of long words."

Another appropriate word with the same meaning is "hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia".

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

For those out there who suffer from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia or sesquipedalophobia, prepare to get the living daylights and maybe even the bejeezers scared out of you. The longest true word in the English language. It is only 1,185 letters long. Note that there are no b's or d's in it.

Acetylseryltyrosylserylisoleucylthreonylserylprolylserylglutaminylphenylalanyl-
valylphenylalanylleucylserylserylvalyltryptophylalanylaspartylprolylisoleucylglutamyl-
leucylleucylasparaginylvalylcysteinylthreonylserylserylleucylglycylasparaginylglutaminyl-
phenylalanylglutaminylthreonylglutaminylglutaminylalanylarginylthreonylthreonyl-
glutaminylvalylglutaminylglutaminylphenylalanylserylglutaminylvalyltryptophylly-
sylprolylphenylalanylprolylglutaminylserylthreonylvalylarginylphenylalanylprolyl-
glycylaspartylvalyltyrosyllysylvalyltyrosylarginyltyrosylasparaginylalanylvalylleucyl-
aspartylprolylleucylisoleucylthreonylalanylleucylleucylglycylthreonylphenylalanylaspartyl-
threonylarginylasparaginylarginylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylvalylglutamylasparaginyl-
glutaminylglutaminylserylprolylthreonylthreonylalanylglutamylthreonylleucyl-
aspartylalanylthreonylarginylarginylvalylaspartylaspartylalanylthreonylvalylalanyl-
isoleucylarginylserylalanylasparaginylisoleucylasparaginylleucylvalylasparaginylglutamyl-
leucylvalylarginylglycylthreonylglycylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylasparaginylthreonyl-
phenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglycylleucylvalyltryptophylthreonylserylalanyl-
prolylalanylserine"

It is a tobacco mosaic virus, Dahlemense Strain.
This word has appeared in the American Chemical Society's Chemical Abstracts and is thus considered by some to be the longest real word.

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

feckless - Lacking purpose; Without skill, ineffective, incompetent; Lacking the courage to act in any meaningful way; Lacking vitality.

It's derived from the Scot word "feck" which means "effect" + "less"

Here is a great example of using the word "feckless" without using the word "feckless":

:utard: :utard: :utard: :utard: :utard: :utard: :utard: :utard:

Need I say more or have I said too much already?